Best Rock band ever?

Can you tell us which is, according to you, the best Rock band ever? We're not only talking about music quality here, but also about Rock'n'Roll state of mind...

My choice would be :

QUEEN!

For their charismatic leader, the way they always were fashionable through the years, their music of course, the mega-concerts like Wembley (they were the first rock band to REALLY fill it up for two consecutive nights), and Freddie's craziness, i.e. being able to rent a Concorde for his friends to come to his birthday party near London.

So, what's your fav?

Queen is a great rock band...i also like a lot of songs by metallica...but im not really into rock so ya....

top 3 for me r: Queen, Metallica, Nirvana (in no particular order)

the only reason those r my top 3 is because they have the most rock songs i know and have heard of...and i actually like a bunch of them! ohmy.gif

1) user posted image

Led Zepplin

2)user posted image

Da Beatles

3) user posted image

AC/DC

4) user posted image

Metallica

5) user posted image

You laugh, but think how many hits they had, and how many hits they wrote for OTHER people.

6) user posted image

Rolling Stones

7) user posted image

The WHo

Actually I'm not laughing at the Bee Gees. They're kinda particular, but they did have about a million hits, and they were/are incredibly talented with vocal harmonies. I love their "One night only" album, a live record with their biggest hits.

One of my fav bands is Kent from Sweden:

user posted image

Other than that I'm more into artists than bands - but da Beatles are always up there biggrin.gif

I don't know if you could call the Bee Gees rock, really.

Anyway, my current favourites (I'm not very retro...)

Radiohead, for pushing the envelope just when you thought it had all been done before (and for writing brilliantly innovative songs, beautifully and incredibly skillfully sung with the most incredible voice ever, etc. etc.)

user posted image

Sonic Youth. Obviously.

user posted image

16 Horsepower, for doing something interesting with that boring old genre of country music

user posted image

The Serenes. Though that would rather be 'most underrated band ever'.

user posted image

OoOoOoOoh someones knows about 16HP - Well, that's Goo, eh smile.gif I saw them in Dijon recently. I strongly recommend their latest album, "Folklore". Well, I think it's the last one. I might be wrong... Oh, be aware that listening to 16HP multiplies by 4600 your chances of comminting suicide within less than 1 hour. Not for your average depressed friend.

Okay, so Queen was my N°1. Note that it's not my FAVOURITE band, but my N°1 ROCK band. Keep in mind what Goo said, I doubt the Bee Gees had a real rock state of mind. We've seen better rebels already. See "What's Rock'n'Roll for more explanations.

My number 2 is ... KILLING JOKE. For they have the craziest leader ever. Jaz Coleman sure is a psychopath at heart. Who's never seen them live yet has never seen anything. After 10 years of absence, I INSIST ON THIS: Rock lovers, listen to their latest album, simply called "Killing Joke" or reffered to as "2003".

There ya go, here's meh Jaz:

user posted image

user posted image

Oh, I saw that he played in the film "Year of the Devil". Looks nice. Has anyone seen it yet, or even heard of it?

Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite, and probably will always be.

I dedicate some nights to playing hours and hours of nothing but pumpkins on nolfradio. I have just about everything they ever did.

user posted image

Bah, I don't care what anyone says, I love the Bee Gees! thumb.gif

My favorite band is Def Leppard followed by Bon Jovi, but I don't consider either of them the best ever. That would probably go to the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Queen, even though none of them appeal to me all that much.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned U2 or Pink Floyd yet. guitar.gif

Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!!!! I love lots of bands, but Led Zeppelin is my favorite by far!!After hearing the drum solo "Moby Dick" for the first time,i ran out and bought a drumset and still play to this day! My neighbors wanted to kill me because of my"3 o clock in the morning,jams"but they never called the police,thank god. smile.gif i just had to put up with "KEEP IT DOWN RINGO!!!!"every time i saw them tongue.gif ok im getting off topic,Anyways Led Zeppelin RULES!!!!

I just had to run over to my CD collection and pull out Saturday Night Fever and play 'How Deep Is Your Love' biggrin.gif

It's quite impossible for me to say which band is my favorite. Every time Rolling Stone (or similar) comes out with list of the most important/influential bands-I can't relate to most of them. I don't care how many albums a band has sold, nor do I care if they're particularly popular at any given time. Music is deeply personal. Since the thread asked for an answer, I'll say TOOL.

user posted image

Okay, we still haven't talked about Alice Cooper, have we? smile.gif Now that's a real rockstar. Go buy his "Brutally Live" DVD before you go to hell! Now, what's the most impressive about Alice's music is this : I have my PC playing MP3's about 20 hours a day (and I have more than 8000 MP3's, all from albums I bought), and sometimes, when friends visit me, it's playing some old Alice Cooper song of the late 60's. And they tell me "oooh, he's released a new album?" wink.gif Frankly, listen carefuly to his early albums, or see what he can do with "old" songs on stage. It seems they've all been written recently. He's a genius regarding musical composition. And I love the look, too. Hahaha, Kiss and Manson have invented nothing, obviously. One good point for Alice : he's got a great sense of HUMOUR and his shows are anything but scary. It's great fun!

user posted image

Another band I love is King Crimson. Their music is completely wierd, I know, but they're the one and only band that still can play "progressive rock" of the old days without being ridiculous. Well, I would advise listening to their old albums first, they're far "simpler" than the latest ones. Well if you like Zappa and Genesis, or Yes, Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, Alan Parsons Project, etc., you'll like King Crimson. Oh, their bass-guitarist, Tony Levin, is THE musician who recorded the most albums ever. He worked on more than 500 albums, with people like the Beatles, Peter Gabriel, Dream Theatre, and so on. He's the grandaddy of all bass-guitarists and a living legend for most of them.

user posted image

Guest BritneySpears

Eeeew I hate rock! I think it's so wild! And why all those rockstats like Marilyn Manson (YUGH) wear make-up??? Are they all gay or what? I better stick to pop! But if I had to chose I would say Queen... Excuse me, i'm now going to watch Madonna's Drowned World DVD with a performance of myself! Hit me baby one more time!

Genesis, just so you know my favorite song from your namesake is "The Brazilian", which is all harmonic, and no words.

Alice Cooper's "No more Mr. Nice Guy" kicks hynie

Dream Theater is real good, but never became popular as their songs were to friggen looooong. "Pull me under" is my favorite from them.

Once again "Rock" is expansive. Just because Marilyn Manson (the beautifull people w00t!) and the Bee Gee's don't sound like Zepplin, does not mean their music does not qualify for Rock.

So all you people, bust out your platform shoes, butterfly collars, and polyester pants, and pop in some Bee Gees........cuz you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna STRUTTTT!

"Stayin aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive"

tongue.gif

Genesis, just so you know my favorite song from your namesake is "The Brazilian", which is all harmonic, and no words.

Aww Knix if I didn't know that you're married already, I'd pay ya a trip to France and a wedding ring laugh.gif That's one of my favourite too...

Surak: Marilyn Manson officially falls under Industrial, which is basically metal with lots of electronic noise and distortion. I'd say it still falls under the broad definition of rock, because... it rocks! Though I do prefere Nine Inch Nails to MM.

Genesis/Knix: does that song have anything to do with wax? blink.gif

HAHAHAHAHA no, I don't think so...

Well, I used to like MM quite a lot, a few years ago. Then I realized that he's better at covering other people's music (like Eurythmics, DM, etc.) than actually writing songs of his own composition.

In the "industrial" drawer, I'd pick Rammstein... When I first saw their "live aus Berlin", I was like WOW! And their videos are always EXCELLENT. Maybe the best rock videos of the decade (the best 90's videos must have been Peter Gabriel's, maybe...)

user posted image