sinhol92

Hosted server

hi all. i have very speedy net: 20 - 30 mbps.... :happy1: and when mysticalguru joined me he had 128 (is not that bad) but suddenly it turns up to 1000. what is that? and i have un-Blcoket the special port.... :angel:

Can someone special help me?!

thx

hi all. i have very speedy net: 20 - 30 mbps....

Well I'm not sure how fast that is, but unless you are running it off of a T1 line or higher you're not going to be able to hold very many people in a server at one time w/o their pings sky rocketing. Also, the machine you're using to host and the type of server you are hosting (pure or dedicated) both play a part in all of that. Also, if the player joining live halfway across the world, their ping is going to be higher regardless.

can someone host a free server for the new clan " RofL " ??? :happy1: if u can. i give u the date and more info...

can someone host a free server for the new clan " RofL " ??? :happy1: if u can. i give u the date and more info...

I don't think anyone does free server hosting for games. I'm pretty sure you can rent NOLF2 server time from SFI, but you would have to ask EliteOne about that.

oh...kk.. but im talkin about: like ppl like u can host a server for me... and RofL..

Well, firstly lets keep and mind that "free" and "server" should rarely be put in the same sentence. :lol: Always someone who has to front the bill.

Secondly, most people can't host.

The most common reasons are these:

1) Many people use routers between their computer and their modems, which acts as an external fire wall. Unless you know how to set your firewall to open the correct ports to host, no one will be able to join your server. (they will see it has 65565 ping or whatever number it is)

2) Hosting takes an extensive amount of your bandwidth, and if you're using cable/DSL connection for the server you can usually get about 4-6 players to join with somewhat decent pings, although sometimes they may have slightly higher pings than usual. If you exceed the amount of players your connection can handle (varies from connection to connection) then everyone's ping in the server will skyrocket to the roof. Basically, to host a full server of 16 decently you will need at the very least a T1 line. (very expensive)

It just depends on what you have in mind. If you're just wanting to a small server, just ask around the community and see who can host and who can't.

If you want a full server, then I'd say the only FREE option you'd have is to ask SFI if they would be willing to let you use one of their servers for a short period of time...but if those options don't work you're going to have to spend some cash.

Edited by Triggerhappy

thx dude.. i shall talk with my father. he willt ake care off firewall thing... :happy1: but im asking in this. is there anyone who can host for 6 ppl?? (3 v 3 )

Well I might, MAYBE when I get my stuff moved to my new place and actually get the modem that I've been waiting for in the mail. I don't know how much longer it will take to get it, so I can't promise any set dates yet. Also, I don't have a clue yet as to how many I will be able to host stably. Again, I'm not saying yes but I'll see what I can do when I get things set up.

oh...kk.. but im talkin about: like ppl like u can host a server for me... and RofL..

Are you seriously asking someone else to foot the bill for a server for your clan? :wacko:

Are you seriously asking someone else to foot the bill for a server for your clan? :wacko:

And therein lies the irony of it being the "Rolling On the Floor Laughing" clan.

I might have an old 14,400K Baud modem from about 1986 I would let you have. I might even throw in a 486DX2 66mhz with 12megs of RAM.

I might have an old 14,400K Baud modem from about 1986 I would let you have. I might even throw in a 486DX2 66mhz with 12megs of RAM.

That's a fast modem. Should spare a 2400k or something ;)

And therein lies the irony of it being the "Rolling On the Floor Laughing" clan.

Omg X.....ROFL (no pun intended) :24:

Also I know this is a little off topic....But theoretically what would you need to host a full server? :huh: What kind of connection? :huh: What equipment would you need?

Edited by KillerGirl

If you're going to host your own personal Dedicated server then the best thing to do is to use a separate computer that you don't plan on using for anything else except hosting and doesn't have anything on it running that might slow or bog down your resources. To host a NOLF2 server, the system specs really doesn't require a whole lot so long as once again your server is being top priority on the system.

I recommend:

1 GB of RAM (very important aspect of the server's performance) You could go up to 2 GB, but to be honest I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference at all. Anything higher would definitely be a big waist and useless. Just don't go less than 1 GB, or you probably will notice the difference when the server is full.

T1 internet connection or higher. T1 is the line speed (or approximately) that ST clan used when they were around, and it ran pretty well. If you're not happy with the performance and/or you're getting a lot of lag problems, you could go higher but then that's always a LOT more expensive.

The rest like the motherboard and processor and such isn't as big of a priority, so I wouldn't buy anything top of the line because it would be a waist. Do about average hardware on that stuff. If you're just buying a premade system with that stuff, then it's nothing to worry about.

Also, even though it says you need a video card to run NOLF2, you don't. Just run the game a low graphics (if you're running a server, it won't matter anyway) and then it may say when you start the game on that computer "Cannot find Hardware T&L device...yada yada yada" just hit okay and it will still work.

That's basically in a nutshell what you'd need to host your own public server with full player capabilities as well as complete and immediate control over your server.

Edited by Triggerhappy

If you're going to host your own personal Dedicated server then the best thing to do is to use a separate computer that you don't plan on using for anything else except hosting and doesn't have anything on it running that might slow or bog down your resources. To host a NOLF2 server, the system specs really doesn't require a whole lot so long as once again your server is being top priority on the system.

I recommend:

1 GB of RAM (very important aspect of the server's performance) You could go up to 2 GB, but to be honest I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference at all. Anything higher would definitely be a big waist and useless. Just don't go less than 1 GB, or you probably will notice the difference when the server is full.

T1 internet connection or higher. T1 is the line speed (or approximately) that ST clan used when they were around, and it ran pretty well. If you're not happy with the performance and/or you're getting a lot of lag problems, you could go higher but then that's always a LOT more expensive.

The rest like the motherboard and processor and such isn't as big of a priority, so I wouldn't buy anything top of the line because it would be a waist. Do about average hardware on that stuff. If you're just buying a premade system with that stuff, then it's nothing to worry about.

Also, even though it says you need a video card to run NOLF2, you don't. Just run the game a low graphics (if you're running a server, it won't matter anyway) and then it may say when you start the game on that computer "Cannot find Hardware T&L device...yada yada yada" just hit okay and it will still work.

That's basically in a nutshell what you'd need to host your own public server with full player capabilities as well as complete and immediate control over your server.

Actually Trigger the dedicated server doesn't care if you have a T & L support video card ;)

The thing that gets home hosted servers into trouble (the dreaded LAG) is the slower upload speeds that most home ISPs have.

Always check with your ISP if you are going to host as most have "fine print" about hosting servers (in regards to bandwith use)

I know that, but I just wanted to list the stripped down basics there. I don't know anything about getting a T1 line or anything like what the internet provider's "fine print" would consist of, but I figured it if it got too big they'd be wanting you to be using it for a business or something...dunno. I don't have the money to spend for that stuff, so I probably won't ever know. I'm just glad you're here to sort it out for us. :lol: OH and elite, even with all of the proper equipment for your own home server, does it still compare to a rented public server and also is it potentially more expensive? Just curious.

BTW, speaking of servers and hosting, how's that thing I asked you about involving the deal with the you know what? :lol::24:

Edited by Triggerhappy

I know that, but I just wanted to list the stripped down basics there. I don't know anything about getting a T1 line or anything like what the internet provider's "fine print" would consist of, but I figured it if it got too big they'd be wanting you to be using it for a business or something...dunno. I don't have the money to spend for that stuff, so I probably won't ever know. I'm just glad you're here to sort it out for us. :lol: OH and elite, even with all of the proper equipment for your own home server, does it still compare to a rented public server and also is it potentially more expensive? Just curious.

BTW, speaking of servers and hosting, how's that thing I asked you about involving the deal with the you know what? :lol::24:

Well the box I run my gameservers on is in a datacenter with a OC 3 connection (with redundancy etc)

The hardware is a dual xeon 2 U server with SCSI drives 4GB of RAM etc.

The hardware makes a difference to when hosting.

As far as that other thingy Trigger.........................It's on my list to do still (getting closer to the top of the list)