Installing issues ....

Hello everyone , I am running into a problem trying to get the game to install . I searched the forums trying to see if this has been covered before but I didn't find anything so if it has , sorry for reposting an old issue . Anyways , my system consists of Windows XP Pro , 64 bit AMD Athlon 3.2 gig , really big freaking hard drive ( 300 gig , partitioned four ways ) , unfortunately after a recent lightning strike and full rebuild I'm down to just onboard video ( Gforce 6150 I think ) , and a Creative Audigy gamers sound card .

Ok , well when I go to install NOLF2 , it gets to 27% ( at the sound.rez file ) and hangs for a long time and eventually errors out ( Ill post the actual error at the bottom of the post ) . Just wondering if anyone had any helpful suggestions or god willing an "Oh , you just need to do this and all will be well" . If I need to post up any other stats just let me know .

Component transfer error

Component:Resources

File Group:Resources

File:H:\data2.cab

Error:Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

My game CDs are all fine , no scratches or any kind of visible flaws that I can tell and I used to play this game all the time way back when I was still running Win98 but this time around its a no go so far . Any help would be extremely appreciated :) .

Hello everyone , I am running into a problem trying to get the game to install . I searched the forums trying to see if this has been covered before but I didn't find anything so if it has , sorry for reposting an old issue . Anyways , my system consists of Windows XP Pro , 64 bit AMD Athlon 3.2 gig , really big freaking hard drive ( 300 gig , partitioned four ways ) , unfortunately after a recent lightning strike and full rebuild I'm down to just onboard video ( Gforce 6150 I think ) , and a Creative Audigy gamers sound card .

Ok , well when I go to install NOLF2 , it gets to 27% ( at the sound.rez file ) and hangs for a long time and eventually errors out ( Ill post the actual error at the bottom of the post ) . Just wondering if anyone had any helpful suggestions or god willing an "Oh , you just need to do this and all will be well" . If I need to post up any other stats just let me know .

Component transfer error

Component:Resources

File Group:Resources

File:H:\data2.cab

Error:Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

My game CDs are all fine , no scratches or any kind of visible flaws that I can tell and I used to play this game all the time way back when I was still running Win98 but this time around its a no go so far . Any help would be extremely appreciated :) .

You could try to copy the CD to your hard drive then run the setup from the hard drive.

Thanks for the replies :) Ill try and do the copy the CDs straight to the had drive and run it from there thing . Weird thing is , there is no visable scratches on the disk at all . Oh well , Ill let you all know how it goes . Thanks again ....

Troy G.

Because you mention about lightning strike, it could be anything. Could be bad IDE port on your motherboard, could be bad DVD/CD-Rom Drive. If you indeed rebuilt the box, please make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard chipsets.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the hints , but everything in my "new" comp is up to date as far as drivers and stuff ( I've been building my own computers since 97 ) and anything that even had a hint of being hit by the surge was removed , so basically everything except the case itself . So here is where I'm at rite now . I tried to copy CD 1 to the hard drive and got the same error when it gets to the "data2" file . So I break out the "illuminator" ( took the lamp shade off :D ) and indeed there is a scratch about half the size of a hair about 3/4 of an inch long on one side ( all but impossible to see ) . So I was able to copy everything over to the hard drive except for the "data2" file .

So now I'm at the point of being a really big pain in the rear and ask if anyone with access to an FTP site would be willing to let me get a copy of the "data2" file from CD1 . Unfortunately its the biggest file on disc 1 , roughly 266 megs , so its to big to Email ( I think , not sure on that though ) . I'm open to any kind of options for downloading ( I do have Yahoo messenger too , maybe a file transfer ? ) if anyone would be willing to help me out with a copy of that specific file I would be most appreciative ...

Well I could just transfer it to ya on msn. Or perhaps it would be better with someone closer to ya (in the states) so it'd be faster. But on msn, if both have a good connection... An hour or two, no more.

ARE YOU HAVING MSN YET?

Thank you Spacko . Ok , I just did all the sign up stuff for the MSM Messenger ( allways had it just never set it up ) . I set it up so my user name is Floyd Pepper . Ack! Its 3am here now , I have to get up for work in a couple of hours . Ill get back to you tomorrow . Thanks again :)

Not a good idea to send it through MSN - down/uploadrate sucks

I could set up my computer as FTP server but I'm from germany so I don't know if the german data2.cab will work - I guess not :(

Someone could upload it to e.g. Filefront

Floyd, I have access to a big fat FTP server. IM me at pearlkr@hotmail.com or bensagenius@yahoo.com some evening and remind me. Meanwhile, you could try this: skipdoctor

I've used this thing for years and it almost always works like a charm.

Also -- when you buy an optical drive, the firmware is already out of date. I would still try to get a firmware update first.

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions and help . Mr. {SFI}Independent , I sent an IM to your pearlkr@hotmail.com account . The FTP setup seems to be about the fastest way I think to transfer that file . But then again , beggars cant be choosers either :rolleyes:

sorry -- out of the house all last night. I'll do it today!

No hurry , whenever you get time :) .

Well , I was just going to put the file with the rest of what I could copy off of CD1 and then run the install exe. .

Wow ! Talk about timing :D Thank you Independent :happydance: , if you ever make it to South Bend Ill by you a beer :drunk: . Ok , Ill post as soon as my download is done . Im on a second level DSL connection so it shouldnt take too long .

Ok , all downloaded . Thanks again . Ill post up the results here in little bit , wish me luck :D

Ok , all downloaded . Thanks again . Ill post up the results here in little bit , wish me luck :D

Good luck! The only way you'll catch me alive is South Bend is to watch my Wolverines spank the Irish again this year, but I'll gladly take you up on that beer! :D

You're welcome -- thanks for letting me know so I can take that file down. Can't wait to hear if it works!

Ok , sorry for the delay . I got caught up in playing the game again :D . Everything went smoothly . I burnt everything to a new disc and everything installed fine . Though I still have to use the old disc to play ( must have a hidden non transferable key which is normal ) other than that everything is great . OMG I forgot how much I loved this game :wub: . Thanks again Mr. Idependent , your my hero ( for a couple of weeks at least :lol: ) . And as far as Notre Dame goes , I allways cheer for whoever they are playing against ( definately not a fan ) . Unfortunately I live rite next to campus and having to deal with the idiot "my daddy has more money in his pocket than youll see in a lifetime" additude from 99% of them , I prefer to see them get spanked :D . Though that beer will be waiting for you if you ever do make it down here .

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...