Sign in to follow this  
Koyuki

Solving the TDM mystery

Here's a question I can never seem to fully comprehend - Why do Team Deathmatch servers fail?

I've been playing NOLF2 on and off since the release of the 1.3 patch and have, like many other players, seen the game's evolution over time. Believe it or not, there was a time you could find action in any of the game modes - be it DM, TDM, DD or Co-op. At some point in its lifetime, TDM slipped away and died a quiet death. A few attempts were made to give it a chance, but overall it fell to the wayside as the majority of players opted for either its DM or DD brethren.

Thus, after several failed revivals, TDM was long buried.

...or was it?

There are two phrases in DD that annoy me to no end. Number One - "Don't End!". Number Two - "Who ended?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the objective of the Doomsday map is to work as a team to complete the Doomsday device. It's a three-piece sort of variation on Capture the Flag. Therefore your player goals may be defending and tagging your base, sniping the approaching enemy, or storming their base - but all towards the goal of finishing that diabolical piece of machinery. So why is it, given this goal, that I am pressured into feeling guilty for playing the game the way it was meant?

And that's where the TDM situation confuses the hell outta me. It seems to be exactly what these two-phrasers want. Teams? Check. Killing? Check. "Don't End"? No worries.

At some point the line blurred to where some players roll TDM into the DD format and expect that adoption. Is it perhaps convenience? Sure, you can kill two birds with one stone and actually play TDM style in DD without touching a single piece, and should the want arise to play pieces it can be done without having to change a single server setting.

Yet where and when is this blurring taking place? Who of those players is on that same page? I know from personal experience that I have completely different play styles between game modes. In DD, I will ignore passerbys that I know I would surely lock onto and pursue if it were a simple deathmatch - because it would slow me down from getting where I am going. I take more open risks and am far more predictable in my pathing when I'm going for the enemy's piece. You may dismiss this as a moot point, but I don't.

What is your opinion? Is a TDDDM medium what we have today?

I've tried running TDM servers from time to time over th last 4 years and they sit empty pretty much.

I'm always game to put up a server people will play in.

I've tried running TDM servers from time to time over th last 4 years and they sit empty pretty much.

I've seen this, which is the whole "I just don't get it" subject matter of my post.

Logic would say that empty TDM servers means players prefer DD...but I get the "don't place" almost without fail whenever I wander into DD which seems to defy that logic and suggest they prefer TDM.

Maybe it's simply a case of the vocal ones being the minority, but louder/persistent?

Well i think, no matter that we tend "not to end" a Doomsday Map and play it the whole 20 minutes instead, I would still say that the task of finishing that device is what makes DD more enjoyable than simple TDM cause in most cases there is a battle for the pieces thou, just when it comes to placing the last part, the gameplay changes to "save the machine the rest of the 20 minutes before you end" I like it the way it is :)

Edited by suglylinni

Maybe the problem is the lack of players who play at one time. I'd love to play, maybe we should try to organize a game one evening at a specified time...

well I never really have tryed that much TDM and the DD thing is all about to keep the better maps longer ...

it's also for the teams to try to get the piece (something like second chance for the other team). I guess that the thing is no one preffers to wait the loading screen for another 2 minutes ~.

Cmon..serious...what would be Nolf without crying:

NOOOOOB...WHO ENDED.....

WHY.WHY.WHY...DAAAAAAAARN

from time to time :)

Edited by {SFI}Natter

You need pay-pal here too? :D

just when it comes to placing the last part, the gameplay changes to "save the machine the rest of the 20 minutes before you end"

Or "camp the mid-field or enemy base the rest of the 20 minutes before you end" as I more often find it to be.

the DD thing is all about to keep the better maps longer

Which is entirely subjective. I love map X, you hate map Y - does that mean you have to endure my map the full time limit or that you can end because you loathe it?

it's also for the teams to try to get the piece (something like second chance for the other team)

The other team blew it. Better luck next map. While I admit there are times where I've wanted that second chance, and even times where there were some amazing mid-game swings - once that core is in place, it is rarely going anywhere.

Stretching it to the full time for the sake of keeping it the full time is not DD in my opinion. It's a thinly veiled TDM with emphasis on chokepoints wherever the pieces are.

Or "camp the mid-field or enemy base the rest of the 20 minutes before you end" as I more often find it to

You're right about that one. The cheaters/noobs does it. You can't blame them. :rolleyes:

Which is entirely subjective. I love map X, you hate map Y - does that mean you have to endure my map the full time limit or that you can end because you loathe it?

Yess, you have point... the thing is that it may have started like that, but then escalate to the modern way of playing...

Maybe if u play it more time you may adapt to it....

The other team blew it. Better luck next map. While I admit there are times where I've wanted that second chance, and even times where there were some amazing mid-game swings - once that core is in place, it is rarely going anywhere.

Stretching it to the full time for the sake of keeping it the full time is not DD in my opinion. It's a thinly veiled TDM with emphasis on chokepoints wherever the pieces are.

Yes, you are right. The answers that u r looking for aren't here, you have to play more in DD and find the reasons y.

Edited by METAL

The reasonings presented here do provide several reasonings for the current play style despite what my personal take on them is. I think it's those multiple factors and their sum that explain why the environment is the way it is and not one easy to define and all-encompassing answer.

As I started playing it one just said don't end and I kinda used to that kind of game play... that's kinda all my reasons.

This is a good topic to talk about K, I'm glad you brought it up. I have to say I'm totally with you on everything you're saying 100%.

Personally, I think DD is worthless. I HATE having to fetch pieces; I'd rather massacre the opposing team or perhaps bomb them. A game mode like "Last Man standing" type of game-play would be more interesting to me, where once you die...YOUR DEAD for the whole map (no stinkin’ reviving non-sense)...until one of the teams are completely wiped out.

I'd love to see TDM revived as you would, unfortunately as Fzy pointed out, I think a lot of the problem is that the very few people who still play NOLF2 don't all join the game all at the same time, and never meet.

Even if I liked the idea of DD, it still stinks because of the whole "DON'T END!!!" I remember a time where if you said that to someone they'd tell you to "go screw yourself noob"...or at least that's probably what they'd say. :D To retort to the argument that "it gives us max time in a cool map"...well, so what? All that happens is that one team gets all the pieces in the first 3 minutes, and then the rest of the map the winning team stays in the other base spawn killing the other team. Yeah, that's a lot of fun. If you like the map, just stick around until the map cycles back to it!

If the losing team is lucky enough to recover the pieces, usually they end up placing right away...so...why wait if they're going to just steal them and end? :huh:

So yes, I totally agree that it'd be awesome to get TDM going again. Just a change of pace for this game would be refreshing if nothing else and I think that's what we could all use right now.

There are two phrases in DD that annoy me to no end. Number One - "Don't End!". Number Two - "Who ended?"

You should try completing the device and then screaming "WHO ENDEDZ&"(§&"%§$)" - that's the real beauty of DD. At least I think so. :D .

Of course there is Player A who loves Map X and Player B who loves Map Y the most. The thing is that this is mainly about what the majority thinks about a map (Me for example i hate Calcutta, still this is one of the favourite maps of most other players so i dont end it even if i have the opportunity to) and not about respecting individuals.

Another thing is, that there are many players who mainly concentrate on fighting instead of trying to get the machine collected so it often happens that the way weaker team manages to end the map, just because the stronger team didnt care too much about that.

AFTER ALL, i dont rly care whether a map is ended early or not, as long as a ) it doesn't strike the server rules ;) and b ) the teams were even (sucks if you have quick spawners on the other team who are at the care before you even spawned yourself and then run with the core just as fast as others without it cause of lag or whatever)

Edited by suglylinni

I think people don't tend to go to TDM servers, because they don't expect there to be servers there. It might be an interesting idea for clan matches, though. Since they're more organised anyway, you can get enough people together to do that (same with Demolition and other mods/maps).

I think people don't tend to go to TDM servers, because they don't expect there to be servers there.

True, although i check gamespy first in order to see if something is going on in nolf or not.

It might be an interesting idea for clan matches, though.

Would end up in a 15 minutes baserape in most cases. I'd rather win a best 3 of 5 match in 20 minutes then (r-word that gets censored with 'storming' ) the other team until i break my 82 kills highscore... the difference between clanmatches and normal games in servers is, that clannies can't simply leave their team during a match, even if they got annoyed of being baseraped. Would show a lack of loyalty to the clan.

you can get enough people together to do that (same with Demolition and other mods/maps).

??? Why are TDM matches more organized than DD matches? :unsure:

note: gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Goo, your [TNT] tag causes trouble when quoting you, lol :P

Edited by suglylinni

Here's a question I can never seem to fully comprehend - Why do Team Deathmatch servers fail?

I've been playing NOLF2 on and off since the release of the 1.3 patch and have, like many other players, seen the game's evolution over time. Believe it or not, there was a time you could find action in any of the game modes - be it DM, TDM, DD or Co-op. At some point in its lifetime, TDM slipped away and died a quiet death. A few attempts were made to give it a chance, but overall it fell to the wayside as the majority of players opted for either its DM or DD brethren.

Thus, after several failed revivals, TDM was long buried.

...or was it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the objective of the Doomsday map is to work as a team to complete the Doomsday device. It's a three-piece sort of variation on Capture the Flag. Therefore your player goals may be defending and tagging your base, sniping the approaching enemy, or storming their base - but all towards the goal of finishing that diabolical piece of machinery. So why is it, given this goal, that I am pressured into feeling guilty for playing the game the way it was meant?

And that's where the TDM situation confuses the hell outta me. It seems to be exactly what these two-phrasers want. Teams? Check. Killing? Check. "Don't End"? No worries.

At some point the line blurred to where some players roll TDM into the DD format and expect that adoption. Is it perhaps convenience? Sure, you can kill two birds with one stone and actually play TDM style in DD without touching a single piece, and should the want arise to play pieces it can be done without having to change a single server setting.

Yet where and when is this blurring taking place? Who of those players is on that same page? I know from personal experience that I have completely different play styles between game modes. In DD, I will ignore passerbys that I know I would surely lock onto and pursue if it were a simple deathmatch - because it would slow me down from getting where I am going. I take more open risks and am far more predictable in my pathing when I'm going for the enemy's piece. You may dismiss this as a moot point, but I don't.

What is your opinion? Is a TDDDM medium what we have today?

Theres not a single thing i disagree with you about here. So i guess not much to say except that i say we try TDM for a couple monthes. Change the SFI POOP NS and UNITY CUSTOMS to TDM...people wll show up if they see there is no DD...theyll go to the next best thing. I cant stand the DONT END...its annoying as hell...the map will always come round again...because as you said once the Core and trans/batts are placed and the other part is sitting in their base its pretty obvious who the winning team is. i dont think its necessary to Drag out the map :blink: it makes me wonder.

I think its always worth a try to try somthing again..I think TDM might spice things up.

;)

Although Neos poop mod has done that already :)

Maybe the problem is the lack of players who play at one time. I'd love to play, maybe we should try to organize a game one evening at a specified time...

the trouble is, is that it turns into a "match" type thing. If the admins made their servers into TDM servers people would have no reason to go to DD :)

Maybe one night a week type thing might even work better...i think this is a wonderful topic...its time we brought TDM out of its obscurity :)

Edited by KillerGirl

I think KG has a good idea! E1 could, say, check her server logs and figure out which night of the week sees the least DD action, then convert that night to TDM for a couple of weeks to see what happens! I know I'd show up.

well she can host her own server :) after she's the drag queeen of A. Air. :P

well she can host her own server :) after she's the drag queeen of A. Air. :P

LOL metal the way i can never understand you makes me laugh....

a dragqueen is a man pretending to be a woman :unsure:

so if im already a woman how is it that could work :huh:

A.Air?? wtf :unsure:

anyways yeah i like that proposal of setting one night a week for TDM...or at least try it

well there was one poop show(as you) the fresh prince of B.A. ...

HE WAS BLACK.... :blink:

But i wont disagree with you im like the sister :)

--------->me=princess B)