Sign in to follow this  
UnkAnon

How to load Mods and Custom Maps on a Macintosh

To load custom maps or mods for Macintosh NOLF2, you need the standalone, free download application NOLF ModHandler.

About that Mac NOLF ModHandler:

This is an amalgam of information from various sources, some attributed, some not, and from my experience. [sFI]UnkAnon.

Thanks to [sFI]xeverytime for putting me onto this info in the first place!

http://The site that shall not be named/forums/showthread.php?t=3938

http://The site that shall not be named/forums/showthrea...ght=mod+handler

Those are links that discuss it, but unfortunately, the download links they gave are dead dead dead.

Here, though, is a v. 1.0.1 link that does work for download, as of May 31, 2007:

http://www.The site that shall not be named.com/files/pafiledb.php...file&id=342

More importantly, this download link works for v. 2.0.1, though, as of May 31, 2007 (it's by the guy who wrote the software, so I would hope it would!): http://www.freewebs.com/pyromania54/news.html

I've used v. 2.0.1 with a G5 iMac with OS 10.4.9 with no problems, although it seems as if it needs to be launched each and the mod/custom map loaded (or removed, depending upon needs) each time the game is started, for uniform functioning. I haven't tried v. 1.0.1.

What Is It:

NOLF ModHandler is a graphical .REZ loader/unloader for the Macintosh versions of No One Lives Forever (NOLF) and No One Lives Forever 2 (NOLF2). It was made because, unfourtunately, the Mac versions of NOLF 1 and 2 are either near impossible or a pain to load mods (custom REZ files) for the manual way.

Installing:

-Place the NOLF ModHandler folder anywhere you wish on your hard drive (just make sure its the same hard drive NOLF 1 and 2 are installed on).

Q: I'm lost, what are the basics for loading a .REZ for NOLF2?

A:

1. In the NOLF2 folder open the folder Data, then open the file Custom.

2. Place the .REZ file you wish to load in the Custom folder. Don't place the mod's folder or the readme etc. in, just the .REZ file. Ignore the "Mods" and "Resources" folders that are already in the Custom folder, in fact, delete them if you wish.

3. Launch NOLF ModHandler and load the mod by selecting it in the list box under the NOLF2 section and pressing the <<< (load) button.

Some FAQs (most answered below):

1. I click the load or unload button, but nothing happens.

2. Nothing is loading correctly.

3. Occasionly when I switch the tab from NOLF 1 to 2 (and vice versa) it doesn't register.

4. I'm lost, what are the basics for loading a .REZ for NOLF1?

5. I'm lost, what are the basics for loading a .REZ for NOLF2? (see above)

6. I load the NOLF1 mod, it all seems to work fine, it even shows up in the "View Command Line", however when I launch NOLF it isn't loaded.

7. In NOLF1 I there comes a point where mods I load aren't loaded in NOLF.

8. I can't host an internet server in NOLF 1.

9. I can't host a server in NOLF2.

------------------------

Q: I click the load or unload button, but nothing happens.

A: Your preferences file is most likely messed up. Special -> Default Prefs should fix this.

Q: Nothing is loading correctly.

A: Your preferences file is most likely messed up. Special -> Default Prefs should fix this.

Q: Occasionly when I switch the tab from NOLF 1 to 2 (and vice versa) it doesn't register.

A: Do to certain circumstances inorder for a tab change to be registered you must leave your mouse within the width of the tab you click (doesn't need to be on the tab, just not left or right of it.

Q: I'm lost, what are the basics for loading a .REZ for NOLF1?

A:

1. If one doesn't already exist, create a folder entitled "Custom" in the main NOLF folder.

2. Place the .REZ file you wish to load in the folder. Don't place the mod's folder or the readme etc in, just the .REZ file.

3. Launch NOLF ModHandler and load the mod by selecting it in the list box under the NOLF1 section and pressing the <<< (load) button.

Q: I load the NOLF1 mod, it all seems to work fine, it even shows up in the "View Command Line", however when I launch NOLF it isn't loaded.

A: Make sure you're launching NOLF with the application "NOLF" and not the application "Lithtech".

Q: In NOLF1 I there comes a point where mods I load aren't loaded in NOLF.

A: NOLF only allows the command line to be a certain length, basically you have not to many mods loaded but to many mods with long names. Try changing the names to something short if this happens.

Q: I can't host an internet server in NOLF 1.

A: Don't bother trying, the port of NOLF1 to mac doesn't bother to contact GameSpy to broadcast your server so no one can see it. I think you can still host LAN though.

Q: I can't host a server in NOLF2.

A: Make sure your firewall isn't blocking the NOLF game port and that you have IP forwarding enabled.

Note for users of File Vault!

NOLF ModHandler is incompatible with File Vault! In order to use NOLF ModHandler you'll need to turn off File Vault.

Email: pjburring@adelphia.net

My Website: http://www.freewebs.com/pyromania54/

If you should experience problems or have suggestions feel free to rifle me an email.

Legal:

This program is a 3rd party product and has nothing what-so-ever to do with the creators or publishers of No One Lives Forever.

The Author hereby disclaims all warranties relating to this software, whether expressed or implied, including without limitation any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The Author will not be liable for any special, incidental, consequential, indirect or similar damages due to loss of data or any other reason, even if The Author has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event shall The Author be liable for any damages, regardless of the form of the claim. The person using the software bears all risk as to the quality and performance of the software.

Credits:

Programming: Hysteria

Thanks To: Vi, FinalMoon, and fortrandragon

NOLF ModHandler v2.0.1, ©Copyright 2004-05 Hysteria