So what are all the kids listening to these days?

Being Sonic and all, I prefer to find my own way through the world of music. (Right now, for example, I'm trying to find stuff about Italian Patchanka music.) However, my sister asked me recently if I could name her some of the current trends, the stuff her colleagues are talking about but she cannot place. As someone who doesn't listen to radio or watch MTV, I actually have no idea. So which discohousestomper will blow over from Ibiza? What exoticsalsathing will keep the pseudotrendy middle-aged folk dancing? Which gimmick will annoy us for the months to come? Who will win this year's award for most creative use of scantily clad women? In other words - what's the sound of the summer of 2007?

(No Emo please, I may have completely missed it, but I have heard about it - besides, isn't that over yet?)

Edited by [TNT] Sonic Goo

Unfortunately, Metal is pretty accurate with that statement. I can definitely say that most of the Teens/Pre-teens in the States listen to hip-hop crap.... It's all they listen to in the New York City area. Pure, mindless garbage....I have to check every song she downloads before I will let her load it on her MP3 player....If I don't get the radio-edit version of the song, WOW, some of those songs are just plain nasty.

How about this: My 10 year-old son (LittleHowie) listens to the Beatles!!! How cool is that....Maybe his Dad had some influence in that :-" At least there's still hope for him.

My 12 year old is currently addicted to Alice Cooper. I have no idea where that came from. I had him liking Bon Jovi and then he moved on to Quiet Riot and now it's Cooper. I guess it's better than the hip hop but it's still a little freaky. :blink:

My 12 year old is currently addicted to Alice Cooper. I have no idea where that came from. I had him liking Bon Jovi and then he moved on to Quiet Riot and now it's Cooper. I guess it's better than the hip hop but it's still a little freaky. :blink:

They grow up way too fast *sniff*

Anywho, kids is a big group - what age are you thinking of, Gooey?

Bravo to your boy! There is hope for this world. :D

I wasn't really thinking about any age group - it's just an expression. Maybe it works different in the US, but over here there are always certain kinds of music that bubble up in the summertime. I actually mentioned some examples in the post - disco from Ibiza that's brought back by holiday goers, Brazilian salsa/merengue/etc. stuff (anyone remember the Lambada?), gimmicky things (The Ketchup song...), etc.

It doesn't always have to be bad. Last year, for example, we had Lily Allen. Which was nice. :)

Edited by [TNT] Sonic Goo

Sonic Goo' date='May 24 2007, 08:11 AM' post='72151']

I wasn't really thinking about any age group - it's just an expression. Maybe it works different in the US, but over here there are always certain kinds of music that bubble up in the summertime. I actually mentioned some examples in the post - disco from Ibiza that's brought back by holiday goers, Brazilian salsa/merengue/etc. stuff (anyone remember the Lambada?), gimmicky things (The Ketchup song...), etc.

It doesn't always have to be bad. Last year, for example, we had Lily Allen. Which was nice. :)

I was a child at 6 when this song came out.

The ketchup song is awfull....

and the last link doesn't work. :P But it wasn't nice. :D

Edited by METAL

Well, new summer, new Finntroll album! Nuff said^^

:lol:

Sonic Goo' date='May 24 2007, 02:26 PM' post='72157']

Why do I get the feeling I need to start posting music threads with a 'no metal' tag attached?

That is equal to no music tag! :P

Edited by METAL

Sonic Goo' date='May 24 2007, 09:26 PM' post='72157']

Why do I get the feeling I need to start posting music threads with a 'no metal' tag attached?

oh, don't be such a girl :rolleyes:

it's about summer music and I just said what my personal summer music was...I apologize profusely for not sharing your musical taste

Well to answer your question I should say that things as the lambada song and etc will appear lesser and lesser... the things that u will see instead will be mtv/music industries crap. beyonce ... xtina uglyera ... chakira ... and etc ... u will watch what they 'frack' u to watch. 1984.

Sonic Goo' date='May 24 2007, 09:11 AM' post='72151']

I wasn't really thinking about any age group - it's just an expression. Maybe it works different in the US, but over here there are always certain kinds of music that bubble up in the summertime.

It's different in the U.S. I've never heard of anything special popping up in the summer. Except maybe the Beach Boys get played more?

Last summer here was one song called boom boom boom. Although the name the song was good. By Shana Tesh.

Edited by METAL

OK, Goo, here you go. What Indy put on his last mix CD:

1. Blue by the Jayhawks.

2. So Cruel by U2.

3. Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt.

4. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

5. Wishing You Were Here by Chicago.

6. The Power of Two by the Indigo Girls.

7. Soulshine by the Allman Brothers.

8. No Ordinary Love by Sade.

9. Kiss From a Rose by Seal.

10. Reminiscing by Little River Band.

11. Cool Change by Little River Band.

I predict that all the kids will be listening to this specific mix within 6 months.

Sonic Goo' date='May 23 2007, 03:19 PM' post='72139']

Being Sonic and all, I prefer to find my own way through the world of music. (Right now, for example, I'm trying to find stuff about Italian Patchanka music.) However, my sister asked me recently if I could name her some of the current trends, the stuff her colleagues are talking about but she cannot place. As someone who doesn't listen to radio or watch MTV, I actually have no idea. So which discohousestomper will blow over from Ibiza? What exoticsalsathing will keep the pseudotrendy middle-aged folk dancing? Which gimmick will annoy us for the months to come? Who will win this year's award for most creative use of scantily clad women? In other words - what's the sound of the summer of 2007?

(No Emo please, I may have completely missed it, but I have heard about it - besides, isn't that over yet?)

I dunno but maybe you find an answer in the "Last song you´ve listened to" thread. Even excluding parental censorship I guess.

OK, Goo, here you go. What Indy put on his last mix CD:

1. Blue by the Jayhawks.

2. So Cruel by U2.

3. Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt.

4. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

5. Wishing You Were Here by Chicago.

6. The Power of Two by the Indigo Girls.

7. Soulshine by the Allman Brothers.

8. No Ordinary Love by Sade.

9. Kiss From a Rose by Seal.

10. Reminiscing by Little River Band.

11. Cool Change by Little River Band.

I predict that all the kids will be listening to this specific mix within 6 months.

Sade makes for a good Best of... album. So Cruel is from Achtung Baby - maybe not their most accessible, but definitely their most interesting album.

Anyway, what I'm looking for would be brand new, and more like what the general public likes, rather than the UHQ audience. You know, the kind of people who prefer X-Factor artists...

Sonic Goo' date='May 27 2007, 05:33 PM' post='72215']Anyway, what I'm looking for would be brand new, and more like what the general public likes, rather than the UHQ audience. You know, the kind of people who prefer X-Factor artists...
Well, wouldn't you be better off posting in an X-Factor forum about this instead of here then? :blink: