There is hope for Europe yet!

Nothing to argue about there, but I'm not sure about the reasons for that. I believe for a solid economy you need more than a liberal job market and long working hours. Ideas like Sarkozy's didn't help GB and Germany. I'm honestly interested in seeing what is gonna happen to France.

Also interesting are numbers about poverty. I don't claim they look bad!

Ugh, wiki reference. I thought I covered this last week?

ok i'll bite...

from same site...

It is, however, important to note that America's poor most commonly have adequate food, clothing and shelter. It should be noted that poverty rates only provide a snap-shot of the percentage of persons who are currently poor. Poverty in the U.S. is cyclical in nature, with individuals rising above and falling below the poverty threshold from time to time; as a result, far more than 13% of the population fall below the poverty line at some point over a given period of years.

So we take care of the poor peeps too, both the deserving, and the lazy.

I got a kick out of the remark under the accompanying graph though..

"I created the graph myself using data from the CIA Factbook."

very dangerous...

P.S. - Trig, you're being lazy. I'm trying to have you formulate your own thoughts into specific examples, not just bust your chops. You may have good points. Don't rely on videos to do that for you. Remember! Rock, chalk, Jayhawk!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knix' date='May 9 2007, 08:27 PM' post='71987']

P.S. - Trig, you're being lazy. I'm trying to have you formulate your own thoughts into specific examples, not just bust your chops. You may have good points. Don't rely on videos to do that for you. Remember! Rock, chalk, Jayhawk!

Hahahahahaha :lol: I love it when you make me laugh. Good stuff man.

It's no secret that we were building up Iraq - we wanted Iraq to be our ally shortly after the Shaw took over Iran (Iran used to be a strong ally prior to the overthrow). Hussein turned out to be a wacko and too unstable to be much of an ally.

And Alexa, there is a paper trail that implicates France, Russia and Germany.....so don't be so quick to say it has long been proven false....it depends on where you pull your info.

And Holland!

World Briefing | Europe

The Netherlands: Stiffer Sentence for Iraq Poison Gas

Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print Reprints Share

DiggFacebookNewsvinePermalink

By MARLISE SIMONS

Published: May 10, 2007

An appeals court raised the 2005 prison sentence of a Dutch businessman, Frans van Anraat, to 17 years from 15 for selling chemicals to Saddam Hussein. The chemicals were used in poison gas weapons in the 1980s and against Kurdish villagers. Prosecutors had demanded a conviction for complicity in genocide, but the appeal judges rejected that, saying Mr. van Anraat was driven not by genocidal intent but by greed.[/b

Knix' date='May 9 2007, 09:27 PM' post='71987']P.S. - Trig, you're being lazy. I'm trying to have you formulate your own thoughts into specific examples, not just bust your chops. You may have good points. Don't rely on videos to do that for you. Remember! Rock, chalk, Jayhawk!

Exactly right. No one said he was wrong. It's easy to blurt out a comment. If you are able to backup your comments or opinions with good hard facts, you will find most people backing your point of view and not bashing it.

Triggerhappy, refrain from calling people names or using censored swearing when someone disagrees with or challenges you. It impresses no one and makes you look bad. Slam people with the facts instead of making it personal.

Just off the top of my head some random things that "other countries do better" is voting, oil, war, economies.

Trig, if I give you a serious reply, I don't think we could ever be friends again. So I'm going to bow out now. Best wishes to you always.

Edited by {SFI}Independent

Knix' date='May 10 2007, 04:35 PM' post='71991']

And Holland!

That's my cue! And the company he was selling it for was from? That's right.

And bringing up Oil-for-food anno 2007 is like complaining about a fart during a hurricane.

Another thing I don't understand is the idea people seem to have that America is the only country where, if you work hard, you can get rich? How many of the people reading this are sitting on IKEA furniture or wearing H&M clothes?

And the idea that there's nothing other countries do better than the US is pretty delusional. Some examples of what the US does badly and others do better;

- campaign financing

- gerrymandering

- lobbying

- Cronyism (unfortunately Find the Brownie is unavailable at the moment)

- Four impending defeats to extremist agendas (Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iran's nuclear issue)

- More people in jail than any other nation in the world - and still one of the highest crime rates.

- Pandering to the religious right in the fight against AIDS

Sonic Goo' date='May 13 2007, 10:58 AM' post='72055']

That's my cue! And the company he was selling it for was from? That's right.

And bringing up Oil-for-food anno 2007 is like complaining about a fart during a hurricane.

Another thing I don't understand is the idea people seem to have that America is the only country where, if you work hard, you can get rich? How many of the people reading this are sitting on IKEA furniture or wearing H&M clothes?

And the idea that there's nothing other countries do better than the US is pretty delusional. Some examples of what the US does badly and others do better;

- campaign financing

- gerrymandering

- lobbying

- Cronyism (unfortunately Find the Brownie is unavailable at the moment)

- Four impending defeats to extremist agendas (Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iran's nuclear issue)

- More people in jail than any other nation in the world - and still one of the highest crime rates.

- Pandering to the religious right in the fight against AIDS

Actually it wasn't your "cue", but welcome aboard.

1) Yes it was for a US company but you assume it to be sent by the US Government, to him directly for the purpose of sending it to Saddam but...

He was found guilty of arranging 36 shipments - a total of 538 tons - from the US via the Belgian port of Antwerp, through Aqaba in Jordan to Iraq.

Prosecutors said van Anraat had been a suspect since 1989, when he was arrested in Milan at the request of the US Government.

2-5) Who cares about campaign financing, cronyism and the like? Great find!

6) Yes we have more people in Jail then any other nation per 100,000. This is bad because ....uh why?

7) Not too concerned about the AIDS virus to be honest. While I have empathy, I don't hold it in the same regard as genetic disease, and cancer. Rather see my tax dollars go to that.

8) You mention IKEA and H&M. Used to have (when I was broke) some of the former, never had any of the latter. Yet let's compare US companies globaly compared to European companies in the US. You could make an argument for Asian companies, but European? Come on, yes you have some, but again...come on. You are probably typing to me on the Europuter 5000 right? :D

BTW never said that we were superior in all things. All I remember asking was for Trigger to give some examples.

Hope you enjoyed your "cue" moment.

BTW, with Ireland's economy doing so well, did the opportunities provided encourage you to leave Holland? Or was it to be closer to the NOLF servers?