Nolf 1...wont install

Hey.

NOLF 2 runs ok on my computer. Just played through it...but i tried starting the 1st one and the installation runs smoothly but when i click "Play", it says "No game resources specified"...What does that mean? I have XP service pack 1 at the moment.

Welcome to the Unity forum :D

What type of hardware do you have?

Video card, Processor, etc?

If the program hasn't actually run or you had it on your PC once before and reinstalled it refer to this thread for info on how to ensure a clean PC to install too http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...st=0#entry27036

Are you running the latest version for NOLF 1? version 1.004 (you can download it from the downloads on the main site for Unity HQ (click the UnityHQ website link at the top of the forum to access the downloads)

Have you tried to run it on compatibility mode?

Set Compatibility Properties Manually

As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set the compatibility properties for a program manually

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually:

Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.

Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.

Figure 3. Set compatibility properties for a program manually.

Note The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or Setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program.

Top of page

Update Your Program or Drivers

If your program does not run correctly after testing it with the Program Compatibility Wizard, check the Web site of the program's manufacturer to see if an update or patch is available. Also, go to Microsoft Update to see if a fix is available there.

If the program is a game that uses Microsoft DirectX®, make sure that you’re using the latest version of Microsoft DirectX. In addition, check the Web site of the manufacturer of your video card or sound card to see if newer drivers are available for either of them.

Do you have a game magazine edition of NOLF 1? I do, and I had problems because they messed up the installer (files stayed read-only, Nolf1.rez was in the root directory of the DVD).

Check the root of the install directory. There should be a file called nolfcmds.txt. It should look something like this:

LITHTECH.EXE -windowtitle "No One Lives Forever" -rez NOLF.rez -rez NOLF2.rez -rez NOLFdll.rez -rez NOLFl.rez -rez custom -rez Nolfu003.rez -rez Nolfcres003.rez -rez NolfGoty.rez +multiplayer 0 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableTripBuf 0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0

Do you have a game magazine edition of NOLF 1? I do, and I had problems because they messed up the installer (files stayed read-only, Nolf1.rez was in the root directory of the DVD).

It would help if you'd check the root of the install directory. There should be a file called nolfcmds.txt. It should look something like this:

LITHTECH.EXE -windowtitle "No One Lives Forever" -rez NOLF.rez -rez NOLF2.rez -rez NOLFdll.rez -rez NOLFl.rez -rez custom -rez Nolfu003.rez -rez Nolfcres003.rez -rez NolfGoty.rez +multiplayer 0 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableTripBuf 0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0

On that note you could copy the files from the CD to the hard drive and check the permissions on them and run the installer from there.

Hey.

I have an old PC..its 1.4 G and 256mb ram. Xp sp 1 because sp2 has issues wth some games on my pc.

But i havent had an issue with any games like this one..as in they wont start at all.

I'm not sure about the magazine edition. And yes i did try running it in compatibility mode with win 98/Me..

Nolf 1 does run on XP right? I returned the Cds(2 cds ...not DVD) and got nolf 2 in exchange.

You should have checked the nolfcmds.txt file, because that was very likely the source of the problem. And yes, Nolf 1 runs on XP, think I played it on XP SP1 and deffo played it 3 months or so ago having SP 2 installed. 2 CDs sounds like the originally distributed version (+GOTY?).

• 4 years later...

I've got the same problems as StormChaser. I've tried everything you said, guys, but nothing should work :(

Hi welcome to UHQ.

Are you running Windows XP SP2 then? (Stormchaser indicated that as the operating system)

If you have Windows 7 64 bit then you would encounter issues as NOLF uses a 16 bit installer which will not run on a 64 bit operating system.

You would have to find an older 32 bit operating system to install it to then copy the installed directory over to the 64 bit machine.

• 1 year later...

i HAVE A 32BIT VISTA OP SYSTEM WILL THE UNOFFICIAL INSTALLER DOWNLOAD WORK. i LOVE THIS GAME AND HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING SUGGESTED. PLEASE HELP. ALSO HAVING ISSUES WITH FAKK NOT RECOGNIZING THE CD.

i HAVE A 32BIT VISTA OP SYSTEM WILL THE UNOFFICIAL INSTALLER DOWNLOAD WORK. i LOVE THIS GAME AND HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING SUGGESTED. PLEASE HELP. ALSO HAVING ISSUES WITH FAKK NOT RECOGNIZING THE CD.

Welcome to UHQ.

As you have 32 bit Vista it should run the default installer. That being said does it do anything when you launch your NOLF1 CD? If you inspect your CD does it have any defects on it?

We have the media in our downloads here