Supporting the UHQ community - READ THIS!!

I logon here and see in large words across the top:

So what do I do I go give a little something to help support this site. Even if you all skipped a coffee from Starbucks once a month and donated here then there wouldn't be the crisis that there is now.  Historically it's been the same few who have carried the torch here for all of you to be able to download files or play in the gameserver or post about the issue you're having getting your game to run.  Most of those who have done this in the past are no longer doing so. Leaving the main financial burden of keeping the site up to Eliteone.

I haven't visited for awhile but I see that people are grabbing files and never giving it a thought that THIS SITE COSTS MONEY TO MAINTAIN. 

People take sites that others have put their time and money into for the enjoyment of others for granted.

I get that it is the holidays and money may be a bit tighter for some but in that same holiday spirit we should help keep this going to keep these classic games alive for many more to enjoy.

• reaction_title_2 1

I appreciate the post and the donation you made MajorPayne.

However you are the only one who has heeded your words and mine as of late :(

Seems the majority have no problem with just taking and not pitching in for any of this. 

That is unfortunate. 

Every website needs maintenance, time, improvement, income etc. for being alive. 
When it comes to small community websites, these situations are more difficult than other ones.

But lets consider this from the new members perspective:

My country has disabled Paypal.

Our money unfortunately lost its value for many years. When I want to buy something which has a price tag with dollar, euro, GBP etc. I have to multiply the price with 4 or even 5! Damn expensive for me. 

If you donate some money, the community will alive at least that month. But other months ? What about years ?  

If you an American or European than no problem. Your money is valuable. But I can't say the same thing for other countries... Unfortunately.

I didn't even played the single player versions of the NOLF series. If all new members are like me, you'll wait for too long about donations.

Maybe I can help a little in the future. But now, I can't give any promise. (What about Paypal problem?- I don't know.)
If I want to buy all 3 games, it cost me 116. (Think that you are spending 116 euros or dollars for very old games.) OMG. :(

Edited by NanoTech

7 hours ago, TechnoStyle said:

Every website needs maintenance, time, improvement, income etc. for being alive. 
When it comes to small community websites, these situations are more difficult than other ones.

But lets consider this from the new members side:

My country disabled Paypal service.

Our money unfortunately lost its value for many years. When I want to buy something which has a price tag with dollar, euro, GBP etc. I have to multiply the price with 4 or even 5! Damn expensive for me. 

If you donate some money, the community will alive at least that month. But other months ? What about years ?  

If you an American or European than no problem. Your money is valuable. But I can't say the same thing for other countries... Unfortunately.

I didn't even played the single player versions of the NOLF series. If all new members are like me, you'll wait for too long about donations.

Maybe I can help a little in the future. But now, I can't give any promise. (What about Paypal problem?- I don't know.)
If I want to buy all 3 games, it cost me 116. (Think that you are spending 116 euros or dollars for very old games.) OMG. :(

Donating has always been voluntary.  I paid full price for these games when they came out myself. 

However for quite sometime it's been a small group who did so year after year. Our site Unityhq.net with the forum has been around since late 2003. We are wrapping up our 14 year of being the go to site for the NOLF series games. We've outlived several other sites to date. 

We've been providing file downloads and gameservers during this period. Myself and others have invested lots of time and money towards this community. 

Again I will reiterate that donating is voluntary. However having talked with other webmasters there seems to be a trend in general of people just expecting things on the internet as a given not that someone or some group works hard and spends money to bring the content that people find on the internet. 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:14 AM, Eliteone said:

Donating has always been voluntary.  I paid full price for these games when they came out myself. 

However for quite sometime it's been a small group who did so year after year. Our site Unityhq.net with the forum has been around since late 2003. We are wrapping up our 14 year of being the go to site for the NOLF series games. We've outlived several other sites to date. 

We've been providing file downloads and gameservers during this period. Myself and others have invested lots of time and money towards this community. 

Again I will reiterate that donating is voluntary. However having talked with other webmasters there seems to be a trend in general of people just expecting things on the internet as a given not that someone or some group works hard and spends money to bring the content that people find on the internet. 

Yes, people used to surf on free websites. 

Edited by NanoTech

4 hours ago, TechnoStyle said:

Yes, people used to surf on free websites. 

Except someone was paying for that "free" website" hence the point MajorPayne is making with this thread. 

Well ! The 3 ghost of Christmas visited me last night and guilted me in to double your salary for Christmas. Sort of a quote from "A Christmas Carol"

Edit:  I just tried to donate through PayPal and it didn't work claiming it was not secure. Used Firefox and Chrome with no luck.

It was a regular donation NOT the monthly donation link which is much to harder to find unless I just don't know what I'm doing.

Perhaps a much easier button to press for regular donations rather than just the monthly would be helpful.

Edit #2:  ITS OK NOW...I did it! I just had to hit the Portal button at the top rather than go through the old site link and it worked great!

Sorry for the temporary brain damage there.

10 hours ago, Larry said:

Well ! The 3 ghost of Christmas visited me last night and guilted me in to double your salary for Christmas. Sort of a quote from "A Christmas Carol"

Edit:  I just tried to donate through PayPal and it didn't work claiming it was not secure. Used Firefox and Chrome with no luck.

It was a regular donation NOT the monthly donation link which is much to harder to find unless I just don't know what I'm doing.

Perhaps a much easier button to press for regular donations rather than just the monthly would be helpful.

Edit #2:  ITS OK NOW...I did it! I just had to hit the Portal button at the top rather than go through the old site link and it worked great!

Sorry for the temporary brain damage there.

Thanks for letting me know. I added a one time donation button to make it easier. Larry you rock as always B)

• 1 month later...

Our goal is coming up next week. If you can pitch in it would be greatly appreciated.

We're here for all of you to keep these awesome games alive. 

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I’ll try to make this not too long a story. I don’t understand the economics of these sites, prices, pricing, etc.  etc. all I know is we seem to be in financial despair for some time now with no foreseeable way out.

Is it a losing battle? Is there any point panicking every month to pay the “man”?

With only a handful of people donating every month and no growth in membership to me it seems futile. I’m sorry for the obvious pessimism but I just see no option but to shutter down with the exception of an amalgamation with some other site. Not my choice or desire but just an opinion.

Im giving my usual double up Christmas donation in hopes a Christmas miracle takes place but I can’t see light at the end of the tunnel.  I just wish I didn’t have to make this post but I feel I must with what seems to be this sites future.

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Well I’ll try to make this not too long a story. I don’t understand the economics of these sites, prices, pricing, etc.  etc. all I know is we seem to be in financial despair for some time now with no foreseeable way out.

Is it a losing battle? Is there any point panicking every month to pay the “man”?

With only a handful of people donating every month and no growth in membership to me it seems futile. I’m sorry for the obvious pessimism but I just see no option but to shutter down with the exception of an amalgamation with some other site. Not my choice or desire but just an opinion.

Im giving my usual double up Christmas donation in hopes a Christmas miracle takes place but I can’t see light at the end of the tunnel.  I just wish I didn’t have to make this post but I feel I must with what seems to be this sites future.

In a nutshell. It costs $$ to have the site https://. It puts the secure padlock icon before the web address in your browser. That means all your activity here is secured. 

It costs $$ for the licensing for the forum software. This includes the downloads module and tools to keep spammers at bay. 

By keeping the downloads secure there a very low risk of downloading compromised files. 

It costs $$ to host gameservers monthly.  It also costs to have web domain.   This is the 30,000 level of things. 

The same few people pitch in. For sometime now Eliteone has been paying the shortages out of pocket.  Larry here is one of the regular donors.  I've contributed as well has a few others. Most come here grab files for free and then some complain if they don't work 100%. 

The fact that this site is here for games that are about a decade old should be at least appreciated. 

Unfortunately it's not. As the banner up top says if all of the members here gave up one coffee ordered at Starbucks or one fast food meal and donated that money here instead we would have rocket speed downloads and gameservers for all 3 games.