Does anyone know...?

P!NX

Does anyone know what makes a PC have a quicker or slower spawn in the beginning of a map?

I have quite a fast internet connection with 6000 kBit/s downstream, 580 kBit/s upstream, i consider my pc with a athlon 3200+ processor, 1GB RAM (will be 2 tomorrow if everything works well with the new RAM's) a GeForce 6800LE with 128 MB and a 250GB harddrive as quite a good one too!

Though, my spawn in nolf usually sucks big time!, what is very bad in either a match or a full server, cause the weapons are taken away, before i even spawned, or some enemies are already carrying the core when i just spawned. You can figure how fast you spawn by the players list of your team on the right side, right? And if you are on top you had the best spawn of all your teammates in that map!

Now what concerns me, is that even my Laptop which is way slower than my normal PC (512MB RAM, Athlon 2500+, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with 128MB and a 60GB harddrive) has a quicker spawn (it's a difference of about 4 seconds i think). Now i've been playing with Ion's PC and although she "only" has/had a 3000+ Athlon, a 160GB hdd, a ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB, 1GB RAM and a Internetconnection of 2000 kBit/s downstream, 192 kBit/s upstream, she has one of the quickest spawns of every nolf player (as long as i played on it, i was always on top of the spawning list).

My question is, what do i need to do in order to make my spawn become faster? :wacko:

Thanks

I guess, if i spent a million dollar on nolf, i could get a spawn that isn't a spawn anymore, more like a "loadless" non-stop-game where you don't even see a loading screen anymore :lol:

but back to topic please :)

for sure it doesn't depend on the hardware.

it most likely has something to do with your relative location to the server or the quality of your connection (not necessarily your upload and download speed...more like reliability)

it most likely has something to do with your relative location to the server or the quality of your connection (not necessarily your upload and download speed...more like reliability)

yeah but, when i play with my laptop and my regular pc, i play in the same room, so there's only the possibility that the server is 2 meters closer to my laptop then to my regular pc... furthermore i also used the internetconnection of ion with my laptop when we were playing at the same time, though her spawn was 6-7 seconds earlier then mine (and my laptop even spawns 3-4 secs earlier then my regular pc)

My spawntime changes from map to map...

I guess it's wether the server likes u or not at the moment ;)

Well in part i guess it's true, it sometimes rly happens that i spawn quite fast too, but though some other nolfers (like ion) are only on top of the spawnlist in every single map and it never happens that my laptop spawns later then my regular pc and even the timedifference of 3-4 secs remains the same!

Of course it depends on your hardware specs. Though it's neither you RAM, processor or graphics card in my opinion.

I'm usually the first one spawning in every map, and that is because the spawn time depends on your harddisk SPEED (not capacity) and, even more important, the hdd access time and cache.

Atleast that's the only explanation as I have quite low pc specs, but an 'donkey'-kicking 9.600 rpm hdd with an access time of 5 ms.

Can't be the internet connection either, as I have a normal DSL3000 without fastpath or anything.

EDIT: haha the bad word filter doesn't seem to like my language :P

agreed. although it could be a nic issue. you can try a different ethernet card. they are inexpensive to purchase.

Of course it depends on your hardware specs. Though it's neither you RAM, processor or graphics card in my opinion.

I'm usually the first one spawning in every map, and that is because the spawn time depends on your harddisk SPEED (not capacity) and, even more important, the hdd access time and cache.

Atleast that's the only explanation as I have quite low pc specs, but an 'donkey'-kicking 9.600 rpm hdd with an access time of 5 ms.

Can't be the internet connection either, as I have a normal DSL3000 without fastpath or anything.

nolf2 plays better on older hardware. trust me i know. the one thing you can do is to try different video drivers. most current drivers are only optimized for newer games so try older drivers. you can also try modified drivers. you can visit the "nvidia drivers" & "nvidia modified drivers" forum here. good luck.

the few ms difference between seek time and latency time of your hd and just a common 7200 rpm hd is negligible. i really dont think buying a 10,000 rpm hd will decrease your spawn time.

upgrading your ethernet card is one of the only logical options to see if it affects your spawn time at all, although this doesnt seem to make that much more sense seeing as how playing any video game on line does not use up that much bandwidth. certain ethernet cards have a limit and are capped, but shouldnt even be a factor in playing an online game.

lod's right about nolf2 liking older hardware. on my old machine (amd athlon xp 1.7 ghz, 768 ram, ati 9600 xt series, 80 gb maxtor) nolf2 ran stable and i rarely had any crashes with it. my new build (amd athlon x2 4200, 1024 ram, 250 seagate, 7600 gt) nolf2 crashes much more frequently, and never with FEAR.

btw, since knickerbockers isn't here, ill go ahead and tell you for him to delete all of that midget pr0n off of your hd :P

(amd athlon x2 4200, 1024 ram, 250 seagate, 7600 gt)

are you kidding me? :o You have enough money for buying that stuff, or are PC's just cheaper in US then in Europe? For a pc like that, i guess i would have to pay like 1800€, saw this 7600 thingy for 600€ in the shop! :wacko:

I guess by now, my mouse and my headset together must make half of the price for my PC! :P

are you kidding me? :o You have enough money for buying that stuff, or are PC's just cheaper in US then in Europe? For a pc like that, i guess i would have to pay like 1800€, saw this 7600 thingy for 600€ in the shop! :wacko:

I guess by now, my mouse and my headset together must make half of the price for my PC! :P

mobo + cpu combo = $200

7600 gt = $150

corsair RAM = $200

hd = $80

thermaltake case = $100

cd drive = $30

sound card = $30

rough estimates. just gotta know where to look :D

grr!

this is what i paid for all my stuff i have now:

MotherBoard = 140€

CPU = 250€

RAM: by now 200€, was 50€ (when i only had one RAM 512)

Graphics: 210€

HDD 250 : 50€

Mouse: 70€

Headset(integrated Soundsolution): 70€

CD/DVD Drives, Case, power supply from my old PC

But 150 for that 7600 GT card is really cheap! What is it, like 120€?

Edit: Well ok, ebay has it for 120€.. must have been another card i saw for 600 in the shop!

mobo + cpu combo = $200

7600 gt = $150

corsair RAM = $200

hd = $80

thermaltake case = $100

cd drive = $30

sound card = $30

rough estimates. just gotta know where to look :D

ayup. here is my rig. i paid no where near the $1800 you stated. the monitor & case were not included.

Lian-Li PC-6070A Silent Case

Abit NF-M2 nView Mobo

Corsair HX620w modular PSU

Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR2 667

Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200.10 250GB 16MB Cache

Maxtor 160 Gig Ultra Series 8 mb

EVGA GeForce 7600GT KO 256 mb 93.71

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u 22" monitor

Win XP Pro SP2 + Updates

i also believe it's connection related. i've been baffled for years with this problem. when i play nolf2, i am the slowest person in the server. it doesn't matter if my ping is 20 or 140. anyone in the server can out run me. i have never been able to figure it out. i admit i never thought about deleting the midget pr0n. :blink:

ayup. here is my rig. i paid no where near the $1800 you stated. the monitor & case were not included.

Lian-Li PC-6070A Silent Case

Abit NF-M2 nView Mobo

Corsair HX620w modular PSU

Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR2 667

Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200.10 250GB 16MB Cache

Maxtor 160 Gig Ultra Series 8 mb

EVGA GeForce 7600GT KO 256 mb 93.71

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u 22" monitor

Win XP Pro SP2 + Updates

i also believe it's connection related. i've been baffled for years with this problem. when i play nolf2, i am the slowest person in the server. it doesn't matter if my ping is 20 or 140. anyone in the server can out run me. i have never been able to figure it out. i admit i never thought about deleting the midget pr0n. :blink:

wahahahaha :blink::D:lol:

Edit: Well ok, ebay has it for 120€.. must have been another card i saw for 600 in the shop!

maybe the new DX10 cards. the 8800 series go for around $600.

the 7600 gt is about a year old. (which is pretty old when talking about gpu's.)

deleting the midget pr0n does wonders, lod :D

right! wanted to add that after i saw it in ebay, but was too tired! :)