What's up with Russia?

Well, where I'm from journalists and others critical of the government aren't killed on a regular basis. Minorities aren't deported from our cities.

Russia isn't that much in the news, so people don't know that much about it. Because of that, people might think the situation is stable, that things are starting to move forward again. But is it really? Is crime going up or down? How much power does Putin really have? Is there actually any opposition? How free are journalists to criticise the government? How are relationships between different population groups? How's the government dealing with the issue? Making it better or worse? What's Russia's attitude to the West? To the other nations around them?

I wasn't really wondering about the examples mentioned in the article, just how things are in general?

Russia doesn't handle their issues with money or talk ( like U.S. does which is not currently working), they handle it with force. Like kids, if you want them to behave, the best and pretty much only way, is to discipline them, by whipping their butts :D . Then they have learned their lesson, if you talk to them or bribe them, then they will become spoiled, and do something stoopid again. Also it is Russian border, so the government can do what ever it wants, and I don't think they care much about what violent actions their citizens or mobs does.

Seeman, I'm not trying to piss you off or Russia. I'm Russian myself, and Ukrainian. I'm trying to describe how Russia helds their problems. Thers nothing wrong with that. I lived in Russia too you know. All I'm saying is instead of talking or bribing Russian Givernment uses force. I think force is probably the best way to take action. One of the major reason that Russians are despiting southern countries is because they don't want to be part of Russia anymore. Yet in history, during influential age, Russia was a power house with military and captured massive amount of land from East Europe, Asia, and Even Mid-East- where the southerns are at. It also takes you back to great old Soviet Union where the Whole Eastern Europe, and Southern Pro Russian Counties and Russia itself unite. Now those Southern Pro Russian countries don't want to do anything with Russia and starting to croll back to EU or Nato. Russian government wants to install Russian leaders to those Pro-Russian countries, those who do have them get some benefits, those who don't and especialy chooses Nato government then, they get horrased, cut of from resources, and other bad stuff. Russia is a land hungry country, it wants much territory is it can get. Russia is also a vengence country, they are not affraid to use their force. Thats what I'm saying! :D

I think he's referring to the way Russia uses its energy policy to make other countries do its bidding. And maybe the way it supports certain factions in those countries.

Btw - I don't want to derail, but weren't Belaruse, Latvia, Turkmenistan, Kyrchyzistan, etc. etc. also Russia's inner business at one point? What makes Chechnya so different?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the story, before WWII, Stalin came over and took over Chechnya. He took the natives and trew them to Siberia. Now they are all trying to bomb Russia so they can get their land back. But I know that Russia would no way would give their land back. Samething with Japan, After Russo-Japanese war, Russia wanted revenge and took their Islands in favor of Stalin and U.S. nuke development (Russian spys found out that U.S. has nukes and declared war against Japan). Even today theres nothing Japaneese can do.

Also the reason U.S. has some thoughts about Russia is because it was the heartland of Soviet Union which did lots of crazy stuff. The reason U.S. went to cold war was because they were afraid that Russia will force all nations to turn communism, and they though the communism was evil, especialy the way government handled their people. You also have to admit that Democratic government works the best so far, no Chineese still have communism and suprizingly their are the fastest growing nation right now. They become powerful every year, month. Soon they will be more economical then U.S. But there are some thoughts that Chineese also use a little of democratic government. Soon they can be very advance. I believe each of two governments has locks that you need to unlock. For example U.S. had Great Depression in 1925s and economy was crashing along with stock markets. Now its more Modern and Americans figured out a way to make the government more stable and now U.S. has #1 economy. You never know may be China or Russia can find keys to the problems of Communism and resolve it.

• 2 weeks later...