tv tuners

im looking for a decent tv tuner for my dorm room. instead of taking up extra space (and money) i wanted to buy a tv tuner so i could watch tv on my pc. i'd prefer an external tv tuner so i could also use it on laptops instead of limiting it only to my pc with a pci card tv tuner.

anyone have any suggestions? fortran, maybe? your last suggestion on the g7 laser mouse was not too shabby :D

Actually, I ordered that Hauppauge one just today. A few tests (in Norwegian, so not bothering to link them here) were very positive about that particular one. Haven't received it yet of course, but what I've seen and read inspires confidence.

yeah, i was actually looking at the same exact one, fortran and spacko. these tv tuners are much harder to find. so many compatibility issues. it seems like it'll only work with windows xp or windows mce, not both. but the hauppauge one seems to show some promise. its supposed to work on BOTH OS versions.

on newegg its $120, retail price is $150.

yeah, i was actually looking at the same exact one, fortran and spacko. these tv tuners are much harder to find. so many compatibility issues. it seems like it'll only work with windows xp or windows mce, not both. but the hauppauge one seems to show some promise. its supposed to work on BOTH OS versions.

I haven't worked with the PC-based external units so I don't know too much about them. The one I've looked at is a Mac-only device. I do remember Hauppauge having good reviews for their TV stuff.