National holidays

user posted image

Back in Holland, we celebrated our national holiday, Queensday, last saturday. It's basically the people's holiday, people flock to the streets, there are all kinds of markets, music and other activities everywhere and everyone just has a good time. The royal family also goes to one or two places to take part, which is transmitted live on tv. And everything is orange.

user posted image

Here in Ireland, the national holiday it's St. Patrick's day. Which I happened to miss because of work. Basically it's lots of parades and lots of drinking. And everything is green.

So what's your national holiday like?

In France, our National holiday's the 14th of July. It takes roots in the siege and destruction (a few months later) of "la Bastille" in 1789, a parisian fortress / prison. This was -officially- the first day of the French Revolution.

Well, there ain't much to do on the 14th of July. Generally, everything's closed all day long. Pfew, what a good start, isn't it? There are military marches on the Champs Elysées from morning until early afternoon, a traditional speech by the President, and lots of fireworks at night in each and every village, town or big city. Oh, and the firemen organize outdoor dancings, unless it rains cats and dogs, which happens quite often if you're lucky enough to live in the west side of France. Weehee.

As a conclusion, 14th of July SUCKS. biggrin.gif

Umm Canada Day is alwasy interesting...

Well it's the July 1st, the day we were declared the Dominion of Canada by Queen Victoria in 1867.

Other than that alot of ppl dress up in flags and face paint, alot of drinking and singing, free concerts, the Senators (the hockey team lol) hold big autograph sessions at the Canadian Tire stores...fireworks up on the hill near the wave pool...big fireworks on parliament hill but its too crazy downtown so my familly doesnt go...mom always makes a cake decorated like our flag, the familly comes over for a bbq and cake and we play sports...overall i think Canada day is one of my favourite holidays because everyone is just so united its insane...The snowbirds (the planes) are the most amazing thing, they fly all over the capital in cool formations!

user posted image

user posted image

thats an awesome car!

haha...crazy canadians tongue.gif

so it seems everyone's national holliday is like...in july tongue.gif

ours is the 4th of July...celebrating our independance...

we go crazy with fireworks and stuff...but we dont paint out cars and stuff...and throw big parties in the streets...

In England our national day is St. George's Day and we celebrate it on April the 23rd. To celebrate we all.... errr.... do nothing! It's not even a public holday. I don't think I remember anything remotely interesting happening for St. George's Day. We make more of a fuss over St. Patrick's Day!

No pics of French soldiers in those silly cylindrical hats?

WHEN WERE YOU BORN, GOO? hahahaha laugh.gif OoOoOoh, you're talking about the foreign Legion! I'll tell my friend Philippe, who jumped on Kolweisy in '78, killed a few guys that day, and then became a close combat instructor (for 22 years, eeeek!) that my friend Goo thinks that their traditional hat is ridiculous. He'll find you and kill you. biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Australia Day January 26 - Known to Indigenous people as Invasion Day.

user posted image

The tall ships come in during the day to commemorate when white people arrived and killed lots of black people

user posted image

At night, the fireworks commemorate the ability of a nation to forget their shameful past with binge drinking and drug abuse

user posted image

july 4th, independence day (also known as "The opening a can of whoopazz on the British day")

user posted image

SuperBowl Sunday. Parties galore, riots galore.

user posted image

Halloween! Oct 31st . My favorite holiday of all.

user posted image

Arbor day! Everyone get out and plant a tree!

user posted image

Festivus for the rest of us! (gotta be a Seinfeld fan to appreciate it) Very holy holiday in the States.

Traditions of festivus...

http://www.kwillis.com/festivus.html