Stop making servers!

Okay, so I wanted to go on Nolf2 just to see if there was any activity at all...and I am greeted with a 2 minute wait on the 'Refreshing List..." screen as the master server tries to bring up all of the servers being hosted. When it finally does load, I see 3 empty working servers...and 25 servers with a ping of 65535.

If the person who is making these servers is reading this, I beg of you to stop. Your servers DO NOT WORK...SO PLEASE STOP TRYING. If you want to host a mod just to see how it works; make a LAN server. If you are trying to host an internet server; make sure that you have the ports that Nolf2 needs to use are open. If your server does not work, shut it down, and wait for it to disappear off the list before trying it again. And actually change some options before trying to rehost a server.

IPB Image

Thank you.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, I am one of these guys (the one red marked), but actually im not just trying to host servers, i host them and they are working!! The problem there is at the moment is a different: As soon as one shuts down his server (as it's only a game hosted from my pc, i don't leave it running all the time) the server doesn't dissappear from the list but remains there as "pinged out".

The server below mine, you see there seem to be 2 people in it, but how should this be possible if it is "pinged out" ? That means that it was really up some days ago, then got shut down and remained in the list.

So you can't blame anyone for hosting not-working servers, cause it seems to be a problem with the master server (i hosted this server in the list 5 days ago i think) and as you don't play as much i do anyways, it shouldn't be so hard to wait 2 minutes once or twice ;)

suglylinni already said everything

it ain't the servers wich don't work - it's the master server not clearing the old ones.

Well, better to have to wait to play NOLF2 than to not have it at all.... Right?

heh heh....she never misses an opportunity :rolleyes:

I have FEAR, I hate it. :D

I didn't know that this was a master server issue. But after a few days of it being like this, I guess it is. Anyways, I believe that all the lagged out servers in the list have a great impact on the pings of the working servers. My ping used to be 15 or so in the {SFI} American server, but now it is around 70. Is there anyway that the list can be cleared out by contacting them or anything (even though the efforts are probably in vain?)

SkiZZor' date='Jul 6 2006, 07:47 PM' post='62438']

I didn't know that this was a master server issue. But after a few days of it being like this, I guess it is. Anyways, I believe that all the lagged out servers in the list have a great impact on the pings of the working servers. My ping used to be 15 or so in the {SFI} American server, but now it is around 70. Is there anyway that the list can be cleared out by contacting them or anything (even though the efforts are probably in vain?)

I sent an email off tonight about this problem. I'll keep you posted on what I learn about it.

SkiZZor' date='Jul 6 2006, 07:47 PM' post='62438']

Stop the hate. Do you really hate it, or do you just FEAR it? FEAR is a natural emotion when you encounter something new and different. It's OK, you have nothing to FEAR but FEAR itself!

I have FEAR, I love it.

Stop the hate. Do you really hate it, or do you just FEAR it? FEAR is a natural emotion when you encounter something new and different. It's OK, you have nothing to FEAR but FEAR itself!

I have FEAR, I love it.

It's the FEAR of change - who moved my NOLF, I mean, my cheese... (of course only a handful have read it and will know what I am talking about but w/e)

Where no hope is left, is left no FEAR.

Author: Milton

Glad I got hope!

Guys I apreciate that you are really into FEAR but hijacking threads to promote it doesn't address this point of this topic. Post about FEAR in this section http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/index.php?showforum=80

to your heart's content.

Thanks

Getting back on the topic of this lobby server issue and the lobby server in general...

There has been some talk elsewhere of the need for a community patch for Nolf2. I think the last Far Cry patch was a community-made patch. It sounds like an autojoin executable that let's you join servers by IP would be good to include since we are always at the mercy of the lobby server and have no guarantees that it will always be there.

why the hell are there soooooooo many servers? i counted 60 deathmatch servers & 50 doomsday servers. there are only 30 nolfers left in the universe. that's 3.666 servers per nolfer. it now takes 5-10 minutes to get into a server. grrrr. :angry:

majority of the servers are KH servers. why do these guys insist on making servers. i barely see any KH's around and i rarely see anyone in their servers (when it was actually working).

Ugh, it sucks the big one waiting for that mammoth list of servers then finding I can't connect to any of them., 'Server is not responding'. I hate that message. What is with all the KH servers? I thought they didn't really play much NOLF anymore? I swear there are forces out there trying to destroy what is left of NOLF2. :cry2:

but it takes the same time to load the list - filtered or not <_<

I hate Sierra VU.. Why aren't they supporting their "old" games: I sent an email like 2 weeks ago.. after 2 days there was an auto responding message that they'll answer my mail in 24-48 hours :angry:

I hope we can fix that with v1.4