No Cheat!!!!!

P!NX

My my my, the natives were restless while I was away having a great time in the real world. Alas, vacation is over and now I have to deal with the insane world of NOLF again. :P:D

To clear some things up, Natter has access to the SFI scmd commands solely for the purpose of arranging the regular innerclan fun matches that SFI has. It is not his job to police the SFI servers.

Only someone in SFI will be given access to the scmd commands of an SFI server. The SFI servers are separate from the UnityHQ servers and have different passwords. No one outside of SFI will ever have scmd access of an SFI server.

I don't think you all realize how many complaints I get about people 'cheating'. If I was to listen to every accusation and act on it, then players like Phantizen, Moody, Lodingi, RXS, Sly, Skizzor and a bunch of other main players would be banned already. The community as a whole seems to be very quick to accuse. It is VERY difficult to determine if someone is or isn't cheating since some things can be explained away by lag, glitches or skill.

My mode of operation has been gather up a number of complaints (I tend to ignore the one time gripes), listen to people's theories on a player then watch the person personally and make a judgment for myself. The problem is, I can be wrong too. LeftNUT, for example. A bunch of people were certain he was wallhacking, I listened to the complaints for a couple months, watched him myself and wrongly determined he cheated. He just happens to be a good player who is freakishly lethal on Oceanic.

So while suggesting other people have access to UnityHQ scmd sounds like a good idea, I am firmly against anyone banning other than me. I alone am responsible for who gets banned from UnityHQ servers, it's my burden, my responsibility. I'm extremely stingy about giving people scmd access because it is NOT a privilege, it IS a burden. You no longer get to play and just have fun, you are constantly monitoring and having people pester you to boot someone. Those that have access regularly get accused of abusing their powers. I'll consider who else to add to the scmd, but it will not be someone from every clan, it will be based on who I think can handle the pressure, be fair, be levelheaded and follow the rules. I'll gladly take suggestions from UnityHQ members who else they might like to see as a server monitor.

Finally, YES, NOLF2 needs an update! Desperately! Problem is it's not going to happen any time soon. Until it does, we're stuck trying to muddle through our problems as we have been. At least we all can talk about it and attempt to work them out and bring issues to light so hopefully some cheaters will be discouraged.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@knix: i do have scmd access to the servers. i haven't been playing much since i've been in europe but now im back.

if there are no people with scmd capabilities, just msn them and tell them to get on.

on more than one occassion knix has made a comment about someone playing suspiciously and i trust knix enough not to be someone to complain about a lucky kill/whine about having a bad day. im do not ban on knix's orders, but ill take the time to look into it.

Thats absolutely fine to both Bella, Blue, and Natter. If all an SCMD allows as a deterent is to issue a warning or at worst boot the person from the game, that would suffice. I also agree completely that only SFI members should have access to SFI servers. Again my only concern is that cheaters don't feel that they can cheat, blatantly cheat, and not worry about there being any repurcussions. That was the case in both examples I gave last week. No probs over the weekend btw.....well one problem.

I take blame for this partially as I am known to kvetch some (kvetch=Yiddish for 'witch'/moan). I bring this up however because it brings to light a bigger issue. Not an issue that will ever be resolved, but at least I can post my feelings about it, and here what y'all think. on 2 occassions in the last 3 weeks, active/respected members of this community played under an alias in a game, only to reveal themselves to me later after I bitched to them about them completing the device within a couple of minutes of the start of the map. My feelings always have been, unless you are in a clan match, let the map run a bit to give the other team a chance to come back. This should be the case especially in a full server, a 2v2-4v4 game, or on a great map (Villa, RR, Calcutta). Well on both occasions I bitched at these people about ending so quickly, thus forcing us to suffer through the beauty of Siberian Strife and the like until the next time around. On the first occassion the back and forth was rather tame, and the player on the next map showed himself under his real name, I appologized (kinda) for getting on him, as I know him, and what kind of player he is. That of course did not keep another player also under an alias from tearing into me, but thats along the by and by, no biggie. Now the other occassion was a little more heated. This person was winding me up for a while. Phossing, missling, or exp shotgunning me on EVERY one of her kills. Not most, not almost all, EVERY one. Then we get to Villa. Nothing game 3v3 I think, lets have fun with it right? Nope, this person places the last part (as she did the map prior) not 2 min into the game. So we had be going with a little back and forth, talking smack. After she placed the part that soon, I called her an a--hole, and a coward. Not mature, but heat of the moment thing. ONLY THEN, does she reveal herself under her real name, kind of like "TADAAA!". She must of thought I would fall over in shame. Anyhow we continued our heated discussion, and then she left. I felt bad, as I've known her in NOLF for a few years now. That being said, it seams like some people who are well known in the community, come into a game under an alias, and act in no way like the would if they were under their regular name. I don't know if its a thrill..(oooh let's try and guess who this person under the name of "player" is, cuz he/she's kicking @zz), or just being able to act different with no body being the wiser. i don't get it. If I play its under KNIX, you know who you killed, and who killed you. Any thoughts?

I totally agree with you, Knix.

I only play with SAssER too, because I think it is unfair and cowardly to play with an alias.. I also saw many using cheats under an alias or act like you described - why? I never found out and I never will understand. :rolleyes:

I prefer people use their regular names, however I go on as an alias once in a while. I do it because someone has reported a problem with a player and I want to catch them without them logging off the minute my name appears or because I want a few minutes of pure fun without people telling me to boot this person or so-and-so is cheating. There are a couple people that enjoy pushing my buttons with language and snide comments to see how far they can go before I warn them, which is an annoyance. The majority of the time I have my name on, though.

BTW, to those that cheat, it doesn't matter if you use an alias, you're banned by your IP address. It's always amusing when I boot/ban someone under an alias and they throw a hissy fit under their regular name later on. Yeah, right, it's your brother/friend/cousin who did the cheating on your computer, never you. Tell me another story. ;)

Well like you say Knix, we can't deny people the right to use aliases, but it should be common courtesy to be extra sure not to be a jerk when "hiding who you are" - when the name is the only thing we can recognize, that's what using an alias comes down to.

4 years old game....it seems that every year there comes time when comes these cheating accusation problems but it seems that now theres LIKE EVERY player cheating who kicks @zz, knows how to lean.. i have heard lately some situations from people who were accused and started to laugh to those fools who accused them :D it seems that those players (not going to say names at this point) who accused them dont know a damn about things what u can do in nolf. I say that 95 % of cheating accusations are BS..5% to that there really some f#g who cheats ;)

What comes to playing under alias..whats wrong with that? Nothing..if undercover players dont cheat, or is playing undercover CHEATING TODAY? :D

The 2 people in this case were not cheating. That wasn't my point. I just didn't understand the logic. Bella has a valid reason. It's a free country, so ya know, do what you want. But even someone does something to annoy me, and talks smack, etc, I don't care if you gave me a spare kidney, and we've been "online' cool for ever. I will most likely verbally tear you a new one whether you reveal yourself or not. I played on line ONCE a couple of weeks ago under the alias "GUS". I did it to see what the fun was about. I didn't get it. Online friends would enter the game, to whom I could not say hello, or have them say hello back. Of course I was recruited by a couple of clans, but the frustration of having to remain "Mysterious' weighed far more heavily then the boost to my online gaming ego. :P

Just silly if you ask me, but as long as you act your normal cool self, then we'll both be Fonzi ;).

Well I can safely say, I was not called an A-hole by Knix, but I did have a confrontation (the first situation he discussed) with him. I did not say ANYTHING to him until he started going "off" on someone I was playing with, about placing. I mean he said things like "best map in the game and you have to place?" - something like "what is wrong with you" etc. At that point, knowing him, I did say my peace as did the person that placed. We both happened to be practicing and (I know obviously noone will agree with me - thus says Knix) but I play better under an alias. Its like freedom or something. No one judging me, thinking, oh F its stupid Val, etc. I also do it when I am intoxicated, etc. cause I like the game and like to play, and don't want to totally suck under my name too. WHICH brings me to say that I have seen a zillion aliases when I am in the game as me and not, and I know several people that play without their real names. OH heaven forbid, they think like me about the game. good grief...

Oh yeah and he also said he would have treated us differently if he knew who we were... again w/e.

WTF ever about the whole thing. I am still going to do what I do, no law against it, and Knix....

If the world all thought the same way about everything, what a boring place it would be.

F.E.A.R. ME!!!

I wish you would quit whining about how UNBELIEVABLE it is Knix. I like playing with an alias sometimes and I have my own reasons. Here is where part of Knix's story comes from everyone. I finished the machine one time cause I was practicing for the VET vs. KID match and Knix called me a "Dumbass". Seeing as how I don't like being called that, I immediately put my real name on and called him a smartass and a big mouth. Which having to keep posting about this issue of how nonsensical playing with an alias is just proves it, IN MY OPINION. *Yawns* Yay, aliases, something new to complain about. Oh and wait, something old too. Phos, rockets, w/e. And to those who wonder, I don't know who the chick was. Maybe that was at a different time.

EDIT: Whoever she was, I hate smack-talk too. That crap is the worst.

I didn't mention either of your names as I didn't think it was right to do so.

I have no problem with people playing under an alias if they play the same way they would when under their real name. I doubt you would have done so if you played under |U| Phanitzen. Or at least you would have said about your intentions ahead of time. Like I said it was imature of me to call you a "Dumbass" or the person in the other situation (diff day) an -sshole. It's just annoying. Everyone knows the "etiquite" of DD in NOLF. Yeah, purpose is to complete the device. If NOLF had 1000's of people to choose from with a contant flow of people entering/leaving a game to have a full server, yeah then no big deal. But we don't have that luxury. People leave in droves (what droves you can have with the # of players we have) when a crap map comes up. People SIT OUT maps waiting to play Villa, Calcutta, and RR. That's why completing the device early in a game in a RARE full server, on a great map....well I don't really think you need practice to complete a device. Me thinks you've played video games since PONG, so you are well versed as it is.

As far a Valley is concerned. If you play under your name, I would never treat you any different, or think of you as "Dumb ole Val" as you suggest. Play under anyname you want, just be cool, and play the right way, as you normally do. Now since we're being honest, I do find it a little bit old having you come rush to Phan's defense, when it was not needed, whether it be in the forum, or in this case in the game. You love him and all, and nobody wants a loved one to be called a "dumbass". That being said, i TOLD him "If I knew it was you I would have cut you some slack". I don't think this to be hypocritical at all. Phan has earned that respect from me, from gaming with him over the past few years. "Player" or whatever his name was had not earned that respect.

Bottom line, I'e seen it a few times now, where normally cool people come into a game under an alias and feel that they have a level of freedom to play or act differently then if they played under their normal name. That was the point I was trying to make. That's why I only play under my name. If i'm cool, people know it was me being cool. If' i'm being an -sshole, people know that [FF5] Knix was the one being an -sshole, and not "player", "Captain Dynomite", "Rick James" or whomever, and hold me accountable.

First off, I want to say that if you cheat - alias or not, you SUCK...

Ok, now for the retort to the above post. Yep, it was us in your first mentioned situation, and when did you start growing a conscience on "not" naming names??

Anyway, I agree with about 0% of what you said except for the part of me wanting to back Phant up when he is blatantly being attacked. I know, ridiculous to you, but your partner doesn't game… :blink:

One thing I want to mention here - I absolutely know that Phant does not go under an alias to feel liberated and smack talk! I sit next to the guy - he almost never chats in game but especially not under an alias - for a while there, he had this whole keyboard thing going on where he couldn't type in game at all, wasn't even an option for him... :o not the usual aks;dlfjsa;fkjl but close, hahahaha!

As for me, I am the same old b!tch, alias or not. Once I start talking and saying some of my typical stuff, I give myself away anyhow. AGRO albeit, but w/e.

Yes, you play as Knix and are always Knix in game. AND you, being "Knix" have the luxury of playing pretty much whenever you want, which means (I can only guess), have few distractions, can give your all, and play consistent - consistently. I, on the other hand, have none of those. So if I want to jump in, jump out, or whatever the case may be in my household at that given moment, I also don't want a thread started on how "people" i.e. me, go AFK or aren't helping the team in some dumb way – no wait, I think there already IS one of those threads! Anyway, I don't feel the need to encourage yet another gripe and moan session – sheesh. At least I am still trying to participate in this game 2vs.2 or 4vs.4.

Call me an anarchist, but rock the he11 on "Captain Dynomite", "Rick James", "Jerry Springer" or whoever you might be that day. I can relate to your need/desire to ALIAS! Again, at least they are still playing!

In the mean time, try FEAR :P

Thanks RXS - WWWWOOOOORRDDDDDD!!! ;)

One can witness my Dvorak-induced typing impairment in Sly's Evolution video. I didn't know that ctrl+shift was the hotkey for toggling back and forth between qwerty and Dvorak layouts (only true if you have a Dvorak layout enabled) and so I would be able to type until I crouched, basically. Ha ha ha! Somehow this wouldn't effect the game's key binds. I finally realized ctrl+shift was the key combo while playing FEAR because shift+ctrl is the sliding kick melee move.

Don't understand the point of my being "knix" making a difference where I can play anytime I want. I (as you both do) have 2 kids. Nolf is my respit when they are watching TV, or napping. Besides that I am on call 24/7 on the weekends as well.

Like I said, if you want to play as an alias thats fine. I think you like playing up the "'witch'" thing a little. I also never said Phan talked smack, so I'm not sure what you are talking about him not being able to type or w/e.

These forums are the place for bitching and "moaning". If you want to put it all in perspective, we are all huge dorks for typing anything to do with conduct or game play, or even playing a puter game as often as we do. My wife does not play video games, and mocks the living *hit outta me, when I say i'm going to play NOLF, asking me if I'm the king of the dorks yet :D. I respond I am just the court jester of the dorks.

My wife is/was always one of the "cool people" all her life, even without trying. I was always the quick to blow up, spontaneous, reactionary person, who would have been an uber dork (loved computer, video games, baseball cards, 34 year old metal head, etc) if i wasn't good at sports. God's saving grace for me :).

Anyhow I just brought this up, not to call any of you out, just to bring up an aspect of the game that we devout so much time to. I don't dislike anyone, and with the size of this community being as small as it is, I'll just chalk this up to a case of cabin fever.

You all crack me up by the way. If you think someone is cheating in the game and the majority agree in the server then gang up on em. Cheaters hate to lose and when their cheats aren't helping them to win they will usually bail the gameserver. Call it your majority server police policy or something.

As far as aliases if they are playing and playing fair does it really matter?

Shakespeare once said, in essence, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". So with a community like this you could probably figure out who is who based upon their style of gameplay.

You all crack me up by the way. If you think someone is cheating in the game and the majority agree in the server then gang up on em. Cheaters hate to lose and when their cheats aren't helping them to win they will usually bail the gameserver. Call it your majority server police policy or something.

As far as aliases if they are playing and playing fair does it really matter?

Shakespeare once said, in essence, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". So with a community like this you could probably figure out who is who based upon their style of gameplay.

If you wrote...

"As far as aliases if they are playing as they normally would have played, and playing fair does it really matter?"

I would also agree.

Cheating thing is good in theory, but you think players run around carrying signs saying "FYI I'm wall hacking." And even if they were, we're going to focus on one player?

Knix' date='Jul 11 2006, 08:34 AM' post='62608']

If you wrote...

"As far as aliases if they are playing as they normally would have played, and playing fair does it really matter?"

I would also agree.

Cheating thing is good in theory, but you think players run around carrying signs saying "FYI I'm wall hacking." And even if they were, we're going to focus on one player?

You know we have a couple options here.

1. Just Play the game

2. Follow Major's advice and if it appears someone is shooting from places they shouldn't or it becomes obvious they are always right there everytime (wallhacking) make it so they don't win and they usually will leave.

3. Work on a community update patch that addresses these issues.

Cause in the end if the cheater gets people all in a uproar then the cheater has won and we don't want that to happen.