Respect our Mappers

A lot of guys have spent a lot of time creating new maps, some are good, some are brilliant.

So why don't we play them?

Unity has a dedicated DD server, we could rotate all maps in the mappack, give everyone a chance to play the new maps. it stops boredom, is a good leveler and can be fun.

Does anyone else want a change? anyone else want to play new maps ?

I want to play the map Ion is working on! :lol:

We periodically put up a custom maps server and no one really plays in it. I don't know what is with NOLF people that they are stuck playing the same standard maps over and over again and don't want to change. It was great fun playing the mod and maps that KNIX requested a while back. Once I get back from vacation maybe we can do something like that again?

I liked all the custom weekends and things like that... so let's do it again :)

A server with modx1 and custom maps would be so much fun - the bad thing is: some are too lazy to exit nolf2, make the mod active and restart it.. some do not have any custom maps and the others can't get mods to work or have other problems dunno

I don't know why, but... sometimes I play some custom DM maps (on my own, not-pw-protected server) with my friend FM but as Bella already said no one ever has joined this server except me and him :(

Maybe another reason why no one joines: they see the server 0/16 players... they see the retail server 14/16 players so the go and join the server with players on it and don't recognize some others would join the custom server too if there where people on it..

but ONYX if you want to play custom maps just pick me in MSN: I'm always up for custom maps and I can host it if you want :)

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. By now the majority of NOLF2 players have the older custom maps. I can't tell you how many times people that I know for a fact have the maps simply vanish the moment a custom comes on. Why? That I've never been able to figure out. I guess change intimidates some people.

I don't know what is with NOLF people that they are stuck playing the same standard maps over and over again and don't want to change.

I guess our best players don't really wanna play custom maps because it took them months to know every corner of the classic ones. I noticed that most of the time, there are "new" people playing the custom maps while the veterans don't care that much.

Since I suck on both classic and new maps, I'd like to give these ones another try one of those days. I think some kind of contest would be cool, in order to select up to 10 custom maps...

Yea they leave if a costum appears

Nolfers seem to be very conservative.....

But on the other side...they play a 5 year old game..day by day

thats the good side on canservative people...they relyable on their conservate-thingy

btw u sure ask: hey Nat made 3 posts a day...whats up?

ok my line is down for a few days and that means:

I CANNNOT PLAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY :(

• 2 weeks later...

some days ago we were like 9 people in the pcgaming custom server! Thank you all for coming - it was fun.. although some got locked in their base in DD_Cave :lol:

IPB Image

And Hopkins was able to see our teamsay.. he said it's just normal.. I have no idea how this is possible :unsure:

Good to see people playing the customs. :thumbsup:

But there's one thing I've been wondering - why aren't the customs used for clanmatches? Think about it:

- You've got a bunch of people who've played all the regular maps kazillions of times

- You've got a bunch of people who know or are easily informed of where to get the maps

- You can let everyone know which maps are coming up so they'll have the right ones in their resources folder and won't suddenly get kicked from the server

It's the perfect situation for customs. :)

• 5 months later...
Maybe another reason why no one joines: they see the server 0/16 players... they see the retail server 14/16 players so the go and join the server with players on it and don't recognize some others would join the custom server too if there where people on it..

Guilty.

During the heavier population times of the game it was actually possible to see the customs actually fill up - many fond memories of hard fought matches with Brutal in Brussels, LAB, CAVE, and Exile to Egypt way back in the early days. At some point they just emptied straight out and instead of moving forward into new and exciting match ups, the scene fell back to the out-of-the-box regular maps everyone knows inside out and blind.

As a former huge fan of the customs, I used to be a part of the crowd that would also troll the 14/16 server and prod players to shift over to the custom server running alongside it. However, repeated responses of "the maps suck" were very disheartening. I enjoyed almost every custom map because they were new and exciting - especially Phantizen's works which almost always included an extra element or trick that kept things fresh.

I don't quite understand it myself, as new maps and mods are the best way to extend the life of a game in my opinion. But you can only get so far with arm pulling before it simply gets ignored.

Guilty.

During the heavier population times of the game it was actually possible to see the customs actually fill up - many fond memories of hard fought matches with Brutal in Brussels, LAB, CAVE, and Exile to Egypt way back in the early days. At some point they just emptied straight out and instead of moving forward into new and exciting match ups, the scene fell back to the out-of-the-box regular maps everyone knows inside out and blind.

As a former huge fan of the customs, I used to be a part of the crowd that would also troll the 14/16 server and prod players to shift over to the custom server running alongside it. However, repeated responses of "the maps suck" were very disheartening. I enjoyed almost every custom map because they were new and exciting - especially Phantizen's works which almost always included an extra element or trick that kept things fresh.

I don't quite understand it myself, as new maps and mods are the best way to extend the life of a game in my opinion. But you can only get so far with arm pulling before it simply gets ignored.

The unity custom map server got used but people were afraid new comers would get scared off or something, I just wish unity would bite the bullet and run the euro server with custom maps ...full stop!

We've had only customs and customs mixed in with the regular maps many times. We have special events with custom maps (like on Halloween). But do people show up? Do they play on these servers? Not much. So as usual it's a sticky situation. Some individuals beg for customs, we cater to them, hardly anyone plays the custom maps, we make the servers back to the standard maps, a couple months go by and the vicious cycle starts again. This is the world of NOLF2. :P

Word, Bella. People stop showing up, people don't bother getting the map packs, in the end it seems that most people prefer having it out on the same old battlefields (No shame in that! I do, too.)

I'm not opposed to adding a custom map or two to the cycle, but... What Bella said :P

Yes, and even though ALL custom maps are really great work and brillant designwise :) , none of em can cope with any of the retail ones! Most of em don't have this specific structure that make a fight for the pieces interesting(meaning not too easy like in snowed in, and not nearly impossible like in cablecar station :P ) , that make up good maps like antarctic aggression, villa, calcutta or oceanic opposition

Hehehe Sasser :P

I joined the custom server a few times....but those pings are so omfg high there! Around 130-140! Thats quite a big jump when you are used to

12-21.... heheh :)

I do believe that its fun to play custom maps AND retrail! :) (hehe phonehouse, sasser :P )

It should be great if there can be some custom maps and retrail in a mic on the normal uhq server! :)

Sander :)

we make the servers back to the standard maps, a couple months go by and the vicious cycle starts again. This is the world of NOLF2. :P

OK.....lets not break the cycle B)

Its time for custom maps again :Nanarok:

Hehehe Sasser :P

I joined the custom server a few times....but those pings are so omfg high there! Around 130-140! Thats quite a big jump when you are used to

12-21.... heheh :)

I do believe that its fun to play custom maps AND retrail! :) (hehe phonehouse, sasser :P )

It should be great if there can be some custom maps and retrail in a mic on the normal uhq server! :)

Sander :)

Duh! Sandy, a ping of 130-140 is nothing bad, my ping of 170 is super too, compared to the 220 ping i had a month ago :)