Summer Movies

Summer is coming and as usual, there are some excellent movies on the horizon!

Two that I'm looking forward to are 'War of the Worlds' and 'Fantastic Four'. I grew up reading the 'Fan 4' comic books and for once, I don't mind who they've cast in the roles. (I'm still cranky about who played Rogue in the X-men movies) I just hope they don't let me down, that happens so much in movies now. All flash, no good storyline.

War of the Worlds has some major talent backing it, it can't help but do great at the box office. If you haven't seen the original movie, go rent it. Acting has come a looooooong way since then, and women no longer are the weak useless whiners that were commonly portrayed back then. Have any of you ever heard the radio broadcast of War of the Worlds? I caught it once a few decades ago and remember thinking people must have been terrified when it was originally done. They thought it was actually happening.

To view some trailers of current and upcoming movies, go to:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

I did that on purpose. I was very disappointed with Episode 1 and the second was only slightly better. It was one of those 'lets dazzle them with effects' while the plot was just so-so. I'm really hoping and praying this next one will bring me back into admiring Lucas again. I remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out at the theaters and I was blown away by it. Same for Return of the Jedi. I want to really care about the characters like I did in the originals, not just be entertained with great special effects.

Before this becomes a Start Wars thread...

user posted image

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I saw it last saturday. It's great! It might require a second look for those not familiar with the books (or television series or radio show...) to get it all, though. It's not a perfect movie, some bits don't work as well as others. But in these cases you have to be glad when they're actually made (this one spent a long long time in development hell) and don't suck. Star Wars fans will know everything about that last bit. cool.gif

Well, I wont be seeing any good movies this summer. Because or great and smart leader, JP BALKENENDE!

user posted image

(isn't he hot?)

He had the bright idea to forbid everyone below the recommend age for a movie to go to that movie. I can't even go with my mom without risking 50 euros if they catch me.

I can watch everything at home but in the cinema. . . Conclusion: Balkenende SUCKS.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hitchhiker's Guide. That'll rock.

War Of The Worlds looks soooo sweet.

Star Wars will suck. There is too much to cram into one movie. Anakin has to go from moody, stroppy, slightly disturbed teen to completely calm, bad to the bone Darth Vader. Oh, and all the Jedi's have to die. Is the Princess pregnant yet? If not that has to happen too. Finally Yoda has to learn to break dance...

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory will be out this year (no idea if it's the summer). That's going to be great with Tim Burton directing.

Finally the new Batman movie - Batman Begins. Yet again, just know it's out this year. Christian Bale will make such a kick 'donkey' Batman. It'll be good and dark like a Batman should be. And he's a Brit too (Welsh to be exact).

A Welsh Batman?

*pictures him going 'Huah!'*

(Surak, do you have a link for that new law? Sounds Silly. Anyway, I'm pretty sure H2G2 is for all ages  smile.gif )

2823[/snapback]

Kijkwijzer Onder "veelgestelde vragen, "hoe is het toelatingsbeleid voor bioscopen"

Well, I looked up H2G2 and that's 6 years and older. The others aren't in there yet. I know George Lucas has said he'll give up the PG rating in order to try and make the new Star Wars movie not suck, but I haven't seen anything more exact. Everything Star Wars up to now has either been 6 or 12 years and older.

I've also looked up all Batmans and, except for one that's 12 y/older, they're all rated 6 years and older.

I'm also pretty sure that Charly and the Chocolate Factory will be all ages.

But we're getting a bit off topic now. I'll start a new thread on film ratings. smile.gif

OKay, I just have to ask... does anyone else get the creeps watching the trailer for 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'? That annoying song is stuck in my head and it's driving me insane. But an even bigger question is WHY did Johnny Depp allow his hair to be styled in such a hideous manner? eek.png

Saw Hitchhikers Guide this weekend and really enjoyed it. Like Frylock told me, it's a great family movie. One of my favorite part was the whale. Hee hee hee.

I'm always leery about new Batman movies, but this one looks promising. *crosses fingers*

I saw a preview for 'Monster-in-Law', and while it's not a blockbuster movie, it does look pretty funny. Jane Fonda seems to be the perfect evil mother.

I'm trying to get excited about 'Kingdom of Heaven' which my teenage daughter is dying to see. (Gee, could it have anything to do with Orlando Bloom?? *gag*) I suppose it should be good enough since Ridley Scott directed it.

Sin City is meant to be fantastic. I'm sure I'll go see that as well.

As for Kingdom of Heaven, not sure if I'll go see that. I can just imagine the cinema now. It'll be filled with drooling women and their boyfriends sitting there annoyed at the fact they got dragged along to this. Still, few british people in that movie too (Orlando Bloom for one). Ridley Scott always delivers too.

I saw 'Kingdom of Heaven' over the weekend. As can be expected, cinematically, the film is beautiful, the fighting is dramatic and the costumes pull you right into the time. To me, however, this movie doesn't even come close to Gladiator. It's still a good movie, but there were times when it dragged. If I ever have the thought to check my watch for the time during a movie, it's not capturing my full attention. I also didn't cry, and I always cry if there's a hint of sadness. I came out of the movie thinking it was too long, that it had some great parts in it and Orlando Bloom didn't look as wimpy as I expected him to, but I'm not ecstatic about the movie in any way. I think I was spoiled by Gladiator, it'll probably be a while till Ridley Scott can impress me again like that.

My advice, if you have to see it, go to a matinee and make sure they have comfy seats.

I get the creeps from the 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' trailer---but in a good way. I can't wait to see it...

Regarding 'Monster In Law'--it does look really funny. I'm certainly no fan of Jennifer Lopez but I don't intend to miss a movie with Wanda Sykes. Jane Fonda's return is interesting as well. The director referred to the stars as J-Lo and J-Fo, I thought that was amusing. thumb.gif

Lasly, I thought I'd mention a rather offbeat, indy movie that I can't wait to see---'Palindromes'. It's directed by Todd Solondz who is responsible for 'Welcome To The Dollhouse'-which incidentally is a fantastic movie if you liked 'Napoleon Dynamite'.

• 2 weeks later...

noones mentioned the best of the bunch; the lion the witch and the wardrobe!

that movie is going to be amazing, I can't wait

(and mr & mrs smith, sin city, batman... but war of the worlds looks criminal (I'm a fan of the book, I saw the trailer, and it has NOTHING in common with the book, even less than I, robot had with it's source. I might go and see it, but I will be disapointed)

I'm looking forward to 'The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe', Paladin! Read some of the books, saw the really lame cartoon of it, and my kids are reading the books now. Can't wait to see Aslan! biggrin.gif

Saw 'Monster-In-Law' yesterday, and while it's no super blockbuster movie my daughter and I enjoyed it as an air-conditioned matinee during a very hot and sticky afternoon. Had a few really amusing parts to it.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith - I can't wait to see that one! They've probably given everything away in the trailers, but it still looks like a fun one to sit through. Pitt and Angelina... two stunning looking actors, so even if it bombs you get some nice eye candy.

Is anyone getting as hyped up about War of the Worlds as I am? That's looking fantastic! No chintzy aliens in this movie like in the original, nope. I hope they keep it like the movie 'Signs' did and only show them when it's pivotal and really makes an impact.

Bella, if you are looking forward to seeing The Lion, The Witch, and the wardrobe", you would deffinitely enjoy seeing Shadowlands with Anthony Hopikins and Deborah Winger, which covers the of the author of that novel C.S. Lewis. One of my top 50 movies off all time (thats saying something, as I have seen a whooooooole lotta movies).

Another movie which I saw last night on Cable is "Search for Neverland" with Johnny Depp, and Kate Winslet. Movie about the author/playwrite J.M. Barrie who wrote Peter Pan.

• 2 weeks later...

going to see Mr and Mrs Smith next week with my girlfriend, then war of the worlds when it comes out, and I have quite a few friends interested in the lion the witch and the wardrobe so I might organise a group trip, but noone I know wants to see batman, and it looks soooo great!

Awww, I'd go with you Paladin. Don't suppose you live anywhere near Pittsburgh? tongue.gif

Saw 'Neverland' KNIX. Much of it was delightful, but I wasn't to pleased about crying my eyes out at the end. That particular subject matter always chokes me up. It was very interesting to realize what things meant in the play because I hadn't really thought about it much as an adult.

Shadowlands, I'll try to catch that one soon, thanks for reminding me about it.