The Euro Server, how it will effect the game

[FF5]Knix

I figure it's easier to post this out in the open for everyone to discuss. Since the game's inception the players outside the US (and in some cases the west coast) have had to deal with servers with high pings. Pings of over 100 have been common place for them, and have put them at a disadvantage. Unityhq/SFI has put out a few months ago, a European server to allow those who normally play with a very high ping.

I totally appreciate the neccesity of doing something to accomodate the European players. That being said, the current server along with some other issues are causing a great problem for the US players.

Problem number one it the lag in the game. Now while i completely realize that I will have more of a delay in the Euro server then I would with my 10 ping in the US unityhq/SFI server, the lag that I am finding in the game and even 80 ping (which is not bad at all) is horrendous. I have re-formatted my computer, etc, etc, etc, but the problem remains. In no other server do I get lag like this. I have shot people in the head, only to find them peppering me from behind 2 sec later! That lag issue (as I am far from an expert) can be fixed on the server end...I hope.

Another problem I see now is that the European players now that they have a server of their own, in many cases are reluctant to play in any other server. Even at 9pm at night EST during the week, with the majority of the players being US players, only the Euro server will have any action. The reason is not as I have been told in the game that "European players are the ones mostly playing nolf2 nowadays". THe problem i feel is that the European players after all these years of having high pings feel that it is now "their turn", and the Euro server is all that they will play.

I have played 5 maps in the Euro server, and asked people if we could now switch to a US server. Lets just say the responses I have received have not been positive ones :P. What I usually here is...

1) But your ping is only 80 here (even though I've said 100x, its not the ping that is the problem for me)

2) You've had a server for 3 years, its our turn now!

The 3rd problem I am seeing is that conversations are going on in other languages. Now I have been know to throw out a few words in other languages with my limited foreign vocabulary. That being said, I was under the impression that English was the "lingua franca" of NOLF2. Running conversations and statements in other languages allows for major problems. People talking about other people in the game, using bad language, etc which cannot be policed.

There are many other players US side who feel the way I do (I am sure they will be posting shortly). A few of them just want to give up the game, and I'm talking consistent players. I am not one of them, as this is all I play. What needs to be done is to find some middle ground. What I suggest is ...

1) See if Euro server can be "fixed" to knock off some of the lag that many of us have been experiencing. (again maybe nothing can be done)

2) Alternate days for European and US side servers, thus making it fair to both sides of the pond.

3) Require that all conversations be in English, as 98pct of the people who play this game are proficiant in that language.

What do you all think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i don't play nolf as much as you guys do (shame on me) but here's my comments. The euro server is nice, It's nice to play with a lower ping sometimes even though I don't score that much more anyhow compared to the Us based server. Sorry 'bout the lag thingy, hope our "Tech Goddess" can do somethin' about it. Alternate days for Us and Euro servers sounds ok to me. And what comes to the language spoken in the servers I totally agree with you that english only in the servers! :)

I'm not a "tecky" but I was lead to believe that lag and ping are too different problems, however.........

I have a very low ping in the euro server but I don't notice any lag problems.

I have to play two different methods..........

1) "stateside" with a high ping, all the low pingers are in front of where I see them (appearing as lag), I therefore have to shoot just in front of them, in the direction of travel. In a "one to one" if I keep moving I am harder to hit with a high ping, it becomes a war of attrition.

2) "euroside" with a low ping I have to aim right bang the head to get the kills. Which means static firing is easier eg. leaning, sniping etc. "one to ones" are harder with someone with high ping....you just cant hit em!

Most people want to join a server with the lowest ping on their list.

Euro's probably start earlier than US' players and once a server is started people don't tend to migrate to another one.

Its a shame there isn't a server on the assention islands, midway between US & Euro :rolleyes:

Euro's probably start earlier than US' players and once a server is started people don't tend to migrate to another one.

You hit the nail right on the head for me ONYX....

Good post Knix...exactly some of my concerns as well.

I have the Euro server located in a UK datacenter. The box has plenty of hardware on it to support quite a few gameservers. Now I have no problems playing on Euro servers and have even played in league matches on Euro servers for SFI's Eliteforce and Call of Duty 2 divisions. Ping and lag can be related but if someone is getting LAG with a ping of 100 or less they need to check things on their end. Are they running something else in the background? (Like downloading files etc) playing MP3 music etc. Most lag is caused by PC hardware or the client's internet connection. The Server I run (North America and Euro) are on OC 3 backbones so the servers have plenty of bandwith to go around.

I've noticed that having a Euro server has caused an influx of Eastern European players who I suspect didn't play online regularly. What needs to happen with them is refer them to unityhq so they can become a part of our community. They'd then get into the "groove" of this community etc.

I'll check though for drill to see if there is anymore "tweaking" I can do on my end.

Personally the New York Server is better overall.

Ping is the response time from your computer to the server. If you ask me my routing to the UK is bad.

I get a 180 ping in the euro server and a 50 in the New York server. However, if you ask me euros get better routing to the New York server then we get to the UK server from our ISP's. Americans ping about 150-190 in the euro server. Euros ping 100-130 in the New York server.

Knix' date='Apr 15 2006, 07:40 PM' post='51936']

I totally appreciate the neccesity of doing something to accomodate the European players. That being said, the current server along with some other issues are causing a great problem for the US players.

Problem number one it the lag in the game. Now while i completely realize that I will have more of a delay in the Euro server then I would with my 10 ping in the US unityhq/SFI server, the lag that I am finding in the game and even 80 ping (which is not bad at all) is horrendous. I have re-formatted my computer, etc, etc, etc, but the problem remains. In no other server do I get lag like this. I have shot people in the head, only to find them peppering me from behind 2 sec later! That lag issue (as I am far from an expert) can be fixed on the server end...I hope.

1) But your ping is only 80 here (even though I've said 100x, its not the ping that is the problem for me)

2) You've had a server for 3 years, its our turn now!

Think I wrote it here before, but definitely said it while playing: even on the sfi server (ping 150) I'm having the same problems. Many times I sneaked up behind a crouching opponent, using the shotgun from very close. I get the blood on the wall animation, next thing I see is me lying on the floor. This IS a ping problem and nothing else. Though I must say I'm occasionally experiencing strange events in the EU server, couldn't say that it's a server problem though.

The 3rd problem I am seeing is that conversations are going on in other languages. Now I have been know to throw out a few words in other languages with my limited foreign vocabulary. That being said, I was under the impression that English was the "lingua franca" of NOLF2. Running conversations and statements in other languages allows for major problems. People talking about other people in the game, using bad language, etc which cannot be policed.

My thoughts? You're sure desperate to get us playing on the US server again. :P We don't have a foreign language problem unless you count yesterday, which you shouldn't. On the other hand, if you do police the server you'll threaten and finally boot peeps using nonenglish anyway. Alles klar?

Personally the New York Server is better overall.

Ping is the response time from your computer to the server. If you ask me my routing to the UK is bad.

I get a 180 ping in the euro server and a 50 in the New York server. However, if you ask me euros get better routing to the New York server then we get to the UK server from our ISP's. Americans ping about 150-190 in the euro server. Euros ping 100-130 in the New York server.

UK (Euro) server: Me ping 80, 90% of americans 80, lotsa other Euros < 80, very few poor peeps (also some americans) 200. Think Belgaron has a ping of 40 there.

US (sfi) server: Me ping 150, US between 15 and 50.

I haven't been very long in this community (as you can see since January 21st) and the Euroservers were started only a few weeks after my joining the community, but still I don't care on which Server I play, I prefer the Server who has players in it and as this is usually the Euroserver, I play on Euroserver then and I am not this kind of player, who enters a server as first player and waits for others to join, so at least in my case it isn't true that I prefer playing on the Euroserver to playing on any other server.

Furthermore: As I can see in the clan-matches, there are a lots of americans who play nolf (but obviously some of them seem to be only playing in the clanmatches and not in the usual matches), so why don't u americans just simply start a game on one of "your" servers and you'll see that we europeans will join as well.

Concerning the language, I think it is ridiculous to define english as the only language allowed on the servers. Fear of swearing or gossip? I think it's the same if people do gossiping on servers or elsewhere.

Another point is, that by talking with others in your native language you can express your emotions way easier than in english. Already tried to tell a joke in your non-native language? Every joke or almost every sentence in which u want to express your emotions, loses its spirit by being translated into a foreign language.

Well, things sure have gone dead in the US servers in recent weeks/months. Something had to cause it. I try to play in the euro server if there's no other choice, but it's not a pleasant experience. I'd love to see the day-on/day-off proposal come to pass.

Well Euro server should be better now for the North American players (It needed a reboot after 20 days of 24/7 non stop uptime)

It's no secret by now that A: A good ping is indeed an advantage in any game and B: The higher your ping, the more often odd things will happen to you (shooting blanks, that sort of thing). I've suffered that double disadvantage through several years of Nolfing on North American servers and taken it like a woman - so while I don't wish any lag for you guys, as a European I'll continue choosing the European server. H'okay?

To boil it down to your three points, Knix:

1) I'm really hoping the server works better now.

2) Uh... No. Come back to me on this in a couple of years and then we'll talk fair to both sides of the pond :).

3) All conversations in the server really are required to be in English, I know I've been sloppy with this lately - it just feels awfully harsh to be booting kids for trying to communicate without English. If this doesn't improve though, we'll have to be tougher.

Mari,

So you are saying that because you "had" to play in the North American servers in the past, that you are dealing out your sweet revenge by refusing to play in both servers? Such a pity you were forced to play there - maybe you should have found a euro server earlier to ease your suffering...that way you wouldn't have had to "take it like a woman". :rolleyes:

What, we have to earn our stripes for "a couple of years" before you will grace us with talk about what's fair for both sides of the pond? Bah! I thought it was poor form on your part the other night when we were playing (5 North American and 3 Euro) and asked you and the others to follow us to a North American server and you said, "Nopp staying right here - have fun"...innocent enough, but it screwed up the 4 on four balance we had. I'm glad to say that at least one Euro followed us over to balance the teams.

With an attitude like that, I hope you enjoy playing with yourself.... H'Okay?

I see Euro-server even up the pings for the most....

knix 80, me 79....thats even and fair

before it was knix 10, me 189 :blink: also fair? think not

What lookes like a lag is ur higher ping knix...needs a while to handle it

For the language i totaly agree.....

(except the pseudo-spanish conversation of Suzy and Luke....)

Nah not punishment and not revenge, but a little selfish. In any case I'll be able to Nolf until those hours for exactly 1 more night for now, so my opinion will have little effect on your playing. That should be of some consolation.

However while you are free to ridicule the calm and patience with which I and other Europeans have taken the server disadvantage over the years, let me remind you that you guys are in need of either the same kind of patience, or real sympathy from the Europeans here. We outnumber you at nearly all times of the day, the US players who used to, are still scoring very good scores - it just seems to have evened out a bit - and who knows who really has the worst problems in what servers?

As for the 4 on 4 balance a night or two ago, you guys decided to leave! That's your right by all means, but I'd been playing there all night, was having a good time and had no interest of leaving.

Now can I ask if the server felt better last night after the reboot? I really do hope it'll run more smoothly and we can all play happily together again. :)

Most Americans don't whinged about ping and server, they just get on with it, like most of the Europeans when playing in the stateside servers.

It looks like after all these years Americans now realise there is an advantage in having a low ping!

There are two techniques in playing either high or low ping. We all need to practice both to be honest, Americans & Europeans.

The problem lies with the time zones, Europeans start playing earlier...on the Eruo server, by the time the States get online, everyone is in the Euro server and peeople tend to join a full server.

We shouldn't let this Atlantic divide split our community, Knix has raised a discussion point which it worth doing something about, becuase at the moment it seems the American servers arn't being used as much........is this so E1?

PS. I don't know why you complain Knix......you still kick buttocks in the Euro server ! B)

user wise the servers seem to be even.

On the ping issue though I have to bring up a non Nolf past thing that comes to mind. One of the first league for the Eliteforce league was sponsored by the now defunct Barrysworld (some of the veteran euro gamers probably remember the name) Anyhow we played 2 seasons of league play in UK servers (in EF you can have up to 64 slots in the server) I played with pings around 140-180 I did just fine.

I never intended having servers "on both sides of the pond" fractionalize people. As with any game I play (all the SFI current plays and a few more) I go where the people are. Doesn't matter if the server is in the US, Canada, Europe etc I go to play and have fun. If another server is running a map I like etc then I ask people if they would like to come join me other there. I don't leave cause I feel I've played enough with a certain ping.

As Spacko can tell you I went into the server Sat am my time to investigate the "lag" people were complaining about. I couldn't repoduce it (and I connect from the west coast USA to the UK server) but I rebooted the server anyhow for drill.

It's disheartining to read people post about I've suffered with low pings for so long I'm only playing here. The game should be about playing the game with others and having fun. Now I understand that Nolf 2 hasn't had the regular euro servers before till I set them up but other games have a global spread of server and those people play where the action is usually not the "only here" approach.

I will not let something I thought was helping the community become something that fractionalizes it.

I don't usually get involved in serious discussions regarding Nolf but in this case I have too. :)

I just love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love the euro server!!

(Please don't take it away! :( )

Im not sure why..I feel a bit bad too because I havent played in our NS server in ages and that always used to be my favourite server but since the euro server has come; I feel so content there.

Well there are some reasons

1) there is a new 'group' playing and some lovely regulars and the atmosphere is fantastic, I havent had as much fun Nolfing in such a long time...I was just saying to someone the other day how nice everyone seems to be there...that could be just me walking round in with my rose tinted specs on but... however..if the only issue is language differentiations then we are doing ok...

2) u know the saying size matters? ;) Well I have discovered 'ping' matters (hehehe) and I adore being able to get reasonable scores for the first time ever. I never ever thought I'd ever say that! :P

Hmmmm well thats only two reasons but they both boil down to me lotsa having fun!! :lol:

I do care about our American friends having fun too, but Im asking you chaps to be patient, as in all new things the gloss will eventually wear off and people will play in many servers. When the NS server first came out I remember it was busy all the time and hardly anyone went to sfi, after some time things evened up..

The euro server is bringing new peeps to the game, thats a wonderful thing, it's giving old peeps like me some incredible fun and a sense of achievement and that can't be bad and it really isnt so bad for many Americans Ping wise.

I have some questions about the English language rule too, why not get some multi-lingual moderators for the servers, we have plenty of extremely talented players in our community. It seems such a shame that peeps with barely any English can't express themselves in some language with their friends. Esp the young ones..for me much of the pleasure in playing is about communication....if I couldnt understand the chat around me or contribute to it then most of my joy in playing would be gone.. :(

Would management of the Euro server consider this aspect, as it is an issue there. We have two little boys in our clan who have limited English....I had a lovely time chatting with them the other day via another player who kindly translated. I am aware now that we must have broken the language rule but it seems a shame doesnt it?

Well anyway thats my thoughts :)

Thankyou Unity for the neat Euro server, I have loved playing there! It's been the best fun Nolfing in ages!

:rolleyes: Cel

Ok I'm just going to throw these out, as I have no idea how to mulit-quote. :P

1) I never suggested that people who were speaking in languages other then english should be booted. All I am saying is that I THOUGHT english was the designated language for the Unityhq/SFI servers. The logic behind that is that the LARGE MAJORITY of the players speak that language. I speak Italian. I LOVE languages (as you can tell by my poor attempts to throw out words in various ones during game play). If I go to an Italian server in w/e game, I should be obligated to speak in Italian mistakes and all.

2) I have played with high ping before, higher then the very reasonable 80 that I play with in the euro server. If people more computer savy then me are saying its just he 60/70 extra ping then normal....then I will take your word for it, and just start shooting a little bit in front of people. I still feel that something is not right, with the amount of "ghosts" I have been shooting at in the game.

3) Mari, are you saying you are oppossed to the one/off toggle in regards to the Euro/US servers? If that is not what you said, nvm. HOwever if that is what you said, I'm surprised. You have always been pretty level headed since I've known you, and feel that my suggestion is finding some middle ground that should be agreeable to all.

4) The good thing about the Euro server is that I am seeing more people then ever play it. You can't argue with results. My concern again, is that unless something is not done about the problems I've mentioned, many US players will just say screw it. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it will happen, and once again you cannot argue with that result if it happens.

5) I like Monkeys

6) THank god I don't live on the west coast :P

7) Happy Easter to all

90% of americans 80, the day that happens i will have to see it with my own eyes, for now its more like 30-40% IF NOT LESS

Let's meet at 50%. I think of the regular US players RXS has a rather bad ping (160) hurtypain the same and Catmom had 120 or so yesterday. But those are the peeps with the WORST pings. Again, Euros do have 140-200 in the NY server.

By the way the last days, when I had to decide: Euro server with some peeps or NS server with some peeps I choose NS for the custom maps!

Still it disadvantages MOST players to play in the US server. Knix should kiss awake his FF5 mates.

I don't usually get involved in serious discussions regarding Nolf but in this case I have too. :)

I just love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love the euro server!!

May I assume that you love the euro server?

I have some questions about the English language rule too, why not get some multi-lingual moderators for the servers, we have plenty of extremely talented players in our community. It seems such a shame that peeps with barely any English can't express themselves in some language with their friends. Esp the young ones..for me much of the pleasure in playing is about communication....if I couldnt understand the chat around me or contribute to it then most of my joy in playing would be gone.. :(

Would management of the Euro server consider this aspect, as it is an issue there. We have two little boys in our clan who have limited English....I had a lovely time chatting with them the other day via another player who kindly translated. I am aware now that we must have broken the language rule but it seems a shame doesnt it?

And as I said before we do have at least 2 very good players who in my opinion do not speak a single word of english. Still no problems with them. We do follow that english rule usually. But I will cut back on 'salut's to Tidus. :P

Thankyou Unity for the neat Euro server, I have loved playing there! It's been the best fun Nolfing in ages!

:rolleyes: Cel

Oh yeah! :thumb:

Knix' date='Apr 16 2006, 03:25 PM' post='52058']

1) I never suggested that people who were speaking in languages other then english should be booted. All I am saying is that I THOUGHT english was the designated language for the Unityhq/SFI servers. The logic behind that is that the LARGE MAJORITY of the players speak that language. I speak Italian. I LOVE languages (as you can tell by my poor attempts to throw out words in various ones during game play). If I go to an Italian server in w/e game, I should be obligated to speak in Italian mistakes and all.

I suggest to boot you for trying to speak in languages other than english. And the Euro server doesn't speak Euro or what's your point? By the way if I'd set up a German server I'd be totally satisfied with English since it's a widespread language. Why should I insist on a dying language like German?

2) I have played with high ping before, higher then the very reasonable 80 that I play with in the euro server. If people more computer savy then me are saying its just he 60/70 extra ping then normal....then I will take your word for it, and just start shooting a little bit in front of people. I still feel that something is not right, with the amount of "ghosts" I have been shooting at in the game.

Occasionally I see things repeating (jumpy), peeps walking up walls when they actually are walking up stairs somewhere else (unupdated player position or sumthing) etc. I don't experience 'lag' like I do when my ping is >100. At least not a server fault's lag.

3) Mari, are you saying you are oppossed to the one/off toggle in regards to the Euro/US servers? If that is not what you said, nvm. HOwever if that is what you said, I'm surprised. You have always been pretty level headed since I've known you, and feel that my suggestion is finding some middle ground that should be agreeable to all.

Mari's just another EU traitor! Well disguised as a conservative, Mari. Time to drop it now!

I've been playing on the US servers for 1.5 years now, and I'm thankful for that. However the ping always bothered me. What's the middle ground? You playing 1.5 years in the Euro server and then we'll take turns. Well then again, I'd join another server if most peeps do. But I can't imagine that will happen as long as most peeps (I mean 12 out of 16 or at least 9 out of 14) are Euros.

5) I like Monkeys

6) THank god I don't live on the west coast :P

7) Happy Easter to all

5) I'm sure you do!

6) I thought west coast pwns?

7) ' Easter. Remember to eat the EGGS and let the bunny hide them, not the other way round!

Let's meet at 50%. I think of the regular US players RXS has a rather bad ping (160) hurtypain the same and Catmom had 120 or so yesterday. But those are the peeps with the WORST pings. Again, Euros do have 140-200 in the NY server.

By the way the last days, when I had to decide: Euro server with some peeps or NS server with some peeps I choose NS for the custom maps!

Still it disadvantages MOST players to play in the US server. Knix should kiss awake his FF5 mates.

May I assume that you love the euro server?

And as I said before we do have at least 2 very good players who in my opinion do not speak a single word of english. Still no problems with them. We do follow that english rule usually. But I will cut back on 'salut's to Tidus. :P

Oh yeah! :thumb:

I suggest to boot you for trying to speak in languages other than english. And the Euro server doesn't speak Euro or what's your point? By the way if I'd set up a German server I'd be totally satisfied with English since it's a widespread language. Why should I insist on a dying language like German?

Occasionally I see things repeating (jumpy), peeps walking up walls when they actually are walking up stairs somewhere else (unupdated player position or sumthing) etc. I don't experience 'lag' like I do when my ping is >100. At least not a server fault's lag.

Mari's just another EU traitor! Well disguised as a conservative, Mari. Time to drop it now!

I've been playing on the US servers for 1.5 years now, and I'm thankful for that. However the ping always bothered me. What's the middle ground? You playing 1.5 years in the Euro server and then we'll take turns. Well then again, I'd join another server if most peeps do. But I can't imagine that will happen as long as most peeps (I mean 12 out of 16 or at least 9 out of 14) are Euros.

5) I'm sure you do!

6) I thought west coast pwns?

7) ' Easter. Remember to eat the EGGS and let the bunny hide them, not the other way round!

I'm sorry I was busy eating meat with my hands, while my children were clubbing baby seals. Now what were you saying again?

I have been playing Nolf2 for almost 2 years and I always had to play in a US server with the ping 130 - 200, sometimes even higher. Then finally Eliteone set up the euro server which is fun to play in since people are usually nicer in that one I think. Whats the big deal if you americans have the ping of 150. Its still easy to get kills once you get used to it. Like Onyx said, all you have to do is aim a little bit in front of your opponent. Personally I can play in both since the ping is no big deal for me. I learned to play with both a low and a high ping. It is way easier to kill with the low ping though since you only need 3 bullets in the head instead of 10.

And its not like there isnt american servers to play in. People just choose the euro server because 80% of the active players are europeans. And not many americans have bad ping anyways as far as i've seen.

Usually between 80 - 130 which is a very nice ping. I think you got a bit spoiled with your 10 - 50 pings ;)

Saying that some people will quit the game just because of one server doesnt seem very right does it?

If people really like this game they will still play no matter where the server is located. And I saw lack of interest from the american players even before the euro server was there so I dont think this is the reason.

Poor Natter had to play with a 400 ping for months :D He should complain ;)

And its not like there isnt american servers to play in. People just choose the euro server because 80% of the active players are europeans. And not many americans have bad ping anyways as far as i've seen.

80% of active players lately being Europeans is a key thang here... I like and appreciate every last American playing still, but the list filling continent at the moment is Europe. I can't support a demand for forced equal use of NA and Euro servers with that in mind. As Captain Kirk would say (or Picard, or whoever): The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

That said, I can concede to you RXS that maybe I should have been a good sport and come to the NA server the other night, just because you guys were on prime time and a majority.

Cel, your two reasons for diggin' on the Euro server... Mine too :D. Great crowd - and it's nice to finally make full use of my potential.

Like Alexa said (I admit to nothing... and Norway's not even in the EU!), I'll join a North American server if that's where a game is already started, no problem at all. Maybe you Americans need to take charge and start games actively? At least on weekends, that's a constructive and peaceful option. If you just can't, then like I've said before, what you have now is what we've had for a couple of years.