Illegal Immigration

The following is from the Rush Limbaugh show last week. Please read to the end -- that's where the kicker is:

All right, immigration proposals under discussion. Let me add mine to the mix. I want to call this proposal the Limbaugh Laws. Here they are. First, if you immigrate to the United States of America, you must speak the native language. You have to be a professional or an investor. We are not going to take unskilled workers. You will not be allowed. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no special ballots for elections, no government business will be conducted in your native language. Foreigners will not have the right to vote, I don't care how long they are here, nor will they ever be allowed to hold political office. According to the Limbaugh Laws, if you're in our country, you cannot be a burden to taxpayers. You are not entitled, ever, to welfare, to food stamps, or other government goodies. You can come if you invest here, but it must be an amount equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage. If you don't know have that amount of money, you can't come and invest. You have to stay home. If you do come and you want to buy land, okay, but we're going to restrict your options. You will not be allowed to buy waterfront property in the United States. That will be reserved for citizens naturally born in this country.

In fact, as a foreigner, you must relinquish individual rights to property. These are the Limbaugh Laws. Another thing. You don't have the right to protest when you come here. You're allowed no demonstrations, you cannot wave a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies, or you get sent home. You're a foreigner. You shut your mouth or you get out, and if you come here illegally, you go straight to jail and we're going to hunt you down 'til we find you.

I can imagine many of you think that the Limbaugh Laws are pretty harsh. I imagine today some of you probably are going, "Yeah! Yeah!" Well, let me tell you this, folks. Every one of the laws I just mentioned are actual laws of Mexico, today. I just read you Mexican immigration law. That's how the Mexican government handles immigrants to their country. Yet Mexicans and others come here illegally, they protest in our streets, they get on our welfare program, and we have members of the United States Senate, both parties, doing handstands and back flips, going through every contortion possible to allow it to continue so that it doesn't make these people mad, resulting in votes against these linguini-spined politicians.

Hmmm....

As I haven't been to Mexico I can't comment on that law (though in researching a reply alot of foreigners own house in Mexico as second homes etc)

I know this. I came to the USA with virtually nothing, completed college here and am now work in a Professional career.

I was fortunate to have known americans who lived here who were able to "sponsor" me to help me get established. I guess what gets to me is about 100 or so years ago alot of your grandparents were immigrants from Europe or other countries. Major is 3rd generation Italian as his grandparents came from over there to america in search of opportunity. It is the descendants of these immigrants who are now crying foul over this situation. Is the way people cross the border from Mexico the right way? no of course it isn't. I know in the eastern side of Washington state here Mexican labour picks the apples and other farm crops, they plant tress for the large lumber companies etc. How many others would want to work these jobs? They also due to their situation sometimes get paid below the minimum wage standards. They work anyway cause who are they going to tell? So do you kick all these people back home (most send money back to their families who would otherwise do without basics) If you answered yes then who is going to work on the farms picking the crops for the small wages they were accepting. Most americans would not want to do such a task.

So the question is what to do in the long term? Only way to secure from the illegal border crossings is to secure the borders. It amazed me when I realized for such a large country the US borders are some of the most open ones in the world.

Most who arrived here illegally were led here by smugglers (who charged them a large amount of money etc) the borders need to be secure to keep them from succeeding in their trade of "selling" passage to people who only want the opportunity to better themselves and their families.

So does the US government go on hunts to round everyone up and let the INS sort them out? Or do you give those who have stayed out of trouble and are only working to feed their families etc a chance to become legit workers here? I think the person who has been productive in the US society, held a job and has not gotten in trouble for crimes should be given the opportunity to go through the citizenship process. I don't believe it should be just handed to them as I had to take the citizenship classes etc as do lots of others who come to the USA, the land of Opportunity.

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 11 2006, 04:42 PM' post='48997']

Is the 'linguini-spined' a reference to all the poor Italian immigrants that came to the US? If so, he could've made the analogy a bit clearer...

From that whole post...thats what you find Goo? No agreement or dissagreement, just a reference to one sentence where if you read the first sentence in the post ...

The following is from the Rush Limbaugh show last week. Please read to the end -- that's where the kicker is:

That wasn't even his.

So you have no progressive spin to refute what he posted? Just the Linguini thing eh? Yep, thats about right.

Good find GDI.

While something has to be done to assist honest hard working people looking to reside in this country. Opening the flood gates to anyone is not an option. For every E1 that comes here and makes this country better, you have 10 other people who come here who make it worse.

Is the 'linguini-spined' a reference to all the poor Italian immigrants that came to the US? If so, he could've made the analogy a bit clearer...

sorry -- transcription error. I've corrected the post.

Knix' date='Apr 11 2006, 05:25 PM' post='49005']

Good find GDI.

While something has to be done to assist honest hard working people looking to reside in this country. Opening the flood gates to anyone is not an option. For every E1 that comes here and makes this country better, you have 10 other people who come here who make it worse.

I just think the double standard is amazing. How can the Mexican government have such harsh laws, but Mexicans get all up in arms when we want to enforce our relatively cushy ones?

My greatest concern is not the illegal Mexicans. Yeah, now that they've stormed the streets waving MEXICAN flags instead of US flags, they're on my doo doo list, but they were not my problem to start out with. What keeps me up nights is the ridiculous border situation. What good is all the airport security we have when any Achmed, Rahib, or Muhammed can just walk his dirty bomb over the border? We are going to get hit again, and HARD.

From that whole post...thats what you find Goo?
GDI said there was a twist at the end, I thought that was it. After all, these 'Limbaugh Laws' seem more like an exaggeration of certain people's views than an actual serious proposal. From the way it was set up it looked he was making a comparison between the attitudes towards the Mexicans now and the Italians then. But doing it with one single word seemed a bit strange.

Speaking of which, why would new laws be needed now that this particular group is coming into the country? What's different now from when other big groups of immigrants came to the US?

Another consideration: doesn't a capitalist system imply free traffic of labour and goods?

well my friend i am 100% pure italian and i didn't think for one second that comment was directed at me or anyone like me. i think he meant "linguini spined" as being "soft" or "lacking the balls" to stand up for what is right. i say boo to you goo.

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 11 2006, 06:55 PM' post='49043']

GDI said there was a twist at the end, I thought that was it. After all, these 'Limbaugh Laws' seem more like an exaggeration of certain people's views than an actual serious proposal. From the way it was set up it looked he was making a comparison between the attitudes towards the Mexicans now and the Italians then. But doing it with one single word seemed a bit strange.

Speaking of which, why would new laws be needed now that this particular group is coming into the country? What's different now from when other big groups of immigrants came to the US?

Another consideration: doesn't a capitalist system imply free traffic of labour and goods?

GOO!!! The kicker was that these laws are exactly what Mexico has on the books!

As Rush reads them, the audience is thinking how draconian they are, and what a mean bastard Rush must be to propose such stringent laws. Then we learn that he's just relating existing Mexican law. You see? It's called irony.

"SHOOM!! right over his head. lmao!!

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 11 2006, 03:55 PM' post='49043']

The difference is they were legally entering the US via Ellis Island, not sneaking across the border.

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 11 2006, 06:55 PM' post='49043']Another consideration: doesn't a capitalist system imply free traffic of labour and goods?

um.................no it does not.

like rocks has stated, our ancestors came here through ellis island. you know, the legal route.

I was fortunate to have known americans who lived here who were able to "sponsor" me to help me get established. I guess what gets to me is about 100 or so years ago alot of your grandparents were immigrants from Europe or other countries. Major is 3rd generation Italian as his grandparents came from over there to america in search of opportunity. It is the descendants of these immigrants who are now crying foul over this situation.

you are slightly off base with this comment e1. no one is saying "no" to immigration. it is what makes this country so strong. we are saying "no" to illegal immigration. big difference imo.

like rocks has stated, our ancestors came here through ellis island. you know, the legal route.

you are slightly off base with this comment e1. no one is saying "no" to immigration. it is what makes this country so strong. we are saying "no" to illegal immigration. big difference imo.

Exactly Lodi. Legal immigration is a way of filtering out the bad apples (i.e. terrorists, known criminals, known whatever you don't want)

I wasn't advocating illegal immigration. One of the debates though now is what to do with those here already. One of the proposals is to grant them immunity from prosecution and allow them to take a legal route to remain.

my views on this...

they are called "Illegal" immigrants for a reason.

to tell u the truth, the asians, middle easters, and hispanics that migrate into our country "illegally" piss me off...

i couldnt agree more with one thing limbaugh said...

THEY HAVE TO SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE...FLUENTLY...

i hate talking to these foreing punks who come here and talk in their own language, and can barely speak english...they know like, 5 words, and then they get pissed at US for not knowing what the hell they are saying.

it pisses me off. quite frankly, i think the USA already has population problems, we dont need a million more poor bastuds comin into this country, that cant help with anything but farming and construction...o and mowing my lawn and washin my car...

sad part is, the only job out of all of those that u couldnt get a native to do, is farming...

construction has many white people in it, or "native" people. we dont need them coming in and STEALING jobs from our other workers, just cuz companies can get away with hiring them for almost nothing. the car wash you people can do yourselves, stop being lazy and go outside sunday morning and wash your own dang car (i do it myself 2x a month)...and then mowing the lawn, u can pay the sweet little kid down the street 5 bucks to mow your lawn... sheesh...

get these immigrants outta here...

the middle easterns do fine in india where we let them fix our computers over the phone for us!!!...so STAY THERE...

the asians come here for who knows why... china and japan and korea have a LOT of the same stuff we do, and are pretty well off...

but hispanics...*sigh*...im not even gonna start...

they just piss me off...

instead of trying to make their own country better, they all try to run away, and leave the rest of their family behind in the "sh!t" country they just left... its stupid, if they put as much effort into cleaning up their country and making it a better place, as they did trying to get into USA and start a good life, mexico would be one of the world's greatest nations...

idiots...

(sorry, as u can see i have had many bad experiences with ILLEGAL immigrants)...

i REALLY hate when they get pissed at me for not being able to speak their stupid language... i sit back and say... Do you remember who hopped into who's country?...and whats the national language of this country?....

*sigh*

my views on this...

they are called "Illegal" immigrants for a reason.

to tell u the truth, the asians, middle easters, and hispanics that migrate into our country "illegally" piss me off...

i couldnt agree more with one thing limbaugh said...

THEY HAVE TO SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE...FLUENTLY...

i hate talking to these foreing punks who come here and talk in their own language, and can barely speak english...they know like, 5 words, and then they get pissed at US for not knowing what the hell they are saying.

it pisses me off. quite frankly, i think the USA already has population problems, we dont need a million more poor bastuds comin into this country, that cant help with anything but farming and construction...o and mowing my lawn and washin my car...

sad part is, the only job out of all of those that u couldnt get a native to do, is farming...

construction has many white people in it, or "native" people. we dont need them coming in and STEALING jobs from our other workers, just cuz companies can get away with hiring them for almost nothing. the car wash you people can do yourselves, stop being lazy and go outside sunday morning and wash your own dang car (i do it myself 2x a month)...and then mowing the lawn, u can pay the sweet little kid down the street 5 bucks to mow your lawn... sheesh...

get these immigrants outta here...

the middle easterns do fine in india where we let them fix our computers over the phone for us!!!...so STAY THERE...

the asians come here for who knows why... china and japan and korea have a LOT of the same stuff we do, and are pretty well off...

but hispanics...*sigh*...im not even gonna start...

they just piss me off...

instead of trying to make their own country better, they all try to run away, and leave the rest of their family behind in the "sh!t" country they just left... its stupid, if they put as much effort into cleaning up their country and making it a better place, as they did trying to get into USA and start a good life, mexico would be one of the world's greatest nations...

idiots...

(sorry, as u can see i have had many bad experiences with ILLEGAL immigrants)...

i REALLY hate when they get pissed at me for not being able to speak their stupid language... i sit back and say... Do you remember who hopped into who's country?...and whats the national language of this country?....

*sigh*

The illegal imigration part is wrong that is not in dispute. However from what I understand you came to the US from another country yourself correct?

What I'm gathering from your post Factor is I am only supposed to speak in English? I know 3 languages. Am I not allowed to speak the language of the people I am socializing with?

Only way to stop the illegal immigration is to seal up the borders.

Recently

SEATTLE – Immigrations officials are hoping the public will help them learn more about a smuggling scheme that brought 22 Chinese nationals to Seattle in a shipping container this month.

They told investigators that they paid about $10,000 each for passage.

But if price is a sign of supply and demand there's been a big change.

"Frankly, that's a low price compared to what we've historically seen in these cases. Typically Chinese nationals smuggled from the mainland can expect to pay anywhere from $30,000 to $60,000 dollars for passage to this country," said ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice

So until you stop those profitting from the smuggling and making these people promises of a better life.

Are you aware the bulk of the Chinese population lives like their ancestors did almost 100 years ago. The rich are not the majority over there and most of the people are oppressed under the present government. So there are people over there who exploit that and sell "passage" to the US via smuggling. Are those taken in by that totally at fault or are they victims of those who sell the trip to them?

This is a complex issue obviously. As I said one of the proposals is to grant those here already immunity to be able to pursue citizenship.

However most of the rest of the world learn english and other languages. Yet there is a dominate attitude of "speak english" or get out that is ringing in your words. You are not the first one to say that as seems alot of people have that attitude.

well my friend i am 100% pure italian and i didn't think for one second that comment was directed at me or anyone like me. i think he meant "linguini spined" as being "soft" or "lacking the balls" to stand up for what is right. i say boo to you goo.

"SHOOM!! right over his head. lmao!!

I never implied it was directed at anyone. I said it looked like he was making a comparison to another, historical situation. Sorry if that went over your head.

GOO!!! The kicker was that these laws are exactly what Mexico has on the books!

As Rush reads them, the audience is thinking how draconian they are, and what a mean bastard Rush must be to propose such stringent laws. Then we learn that he's just relating existing Mexican law. You see? It's called irony.

We know that now, but it didn't look lilke that at first. So, what is he trying to say? That Mexico should ease their laws or that the US should make theirs more like Mexicos?

How are government imposed borders not impeding a free market where all economic decisions regarding transfers of money, goods, and services take place on a voluntary basis?

Hey Elite, not that I don't agree with your or anything (actually, I've decided to just ask the interesting questions, not take up any position on this one), but why are we not allowed to use foreign languages on this board then? Not even in sigs? Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi?

Btw - Factor, thanks for using the word 'native'. Though I fear we may be approaching irony overload in this thread.

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 12 2006, 10:42 AM' post='49291']

How are government imposed borders not impeding a free market where all economic decisions regarding transfers of money, goods, and services take place on a voluntary basis?

It is, but does it matter? There's always going to be a need for a balance between free market thinking and state intervention, borders, laws and regulations and other concerns. Balance is a good thing. B)

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 12 2006, 01:42 AM' post='49291']

Hey Elite, not that I don't agree with your or anything (actually, I've decided to just ask the interesting questions, not take up any position on this one), but why are we not allowed to use foreign languages on this board then? Not even in sigs? Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi?

The majority of the board users are english speakers and the site is hosted in the USA. When I am around english speakers I speak english with them etc ;)

Hope that clears that up for you. ;)

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 12 2006, 04:42 AM' post='49291']

I never implied it was directed at anyone. I said it looked like he was making a comparison to another, historical situation. Sorry if that went over your head.

lol. i wasn't suggesting it went over my head. lol.

However most of the rest of the world learn english and other languages. Yet there is a dominate attitude of "speak english" or get out that is ringing in your words. You are not the first one to say that as seems alot of people have that attitude.

i don't think that's the general attitude per say. i think most americans feel it is wrong for these "linguini spined" politicians to do back flips for a part of the population that is for the most part here illegally. hey i don't blame anyone for trying to immigrate here to pursue a better life. we welcome you with open arms. do it legally. the problem begins and ends with our politicians. they'll do anything for a vote.

Sonic Goo' date='Apr 12 2006, 04:42 AM' post='49291']Hey Elite, not that I don't agree with your or anything (actually, I've decided to just ask the interesting questions, not take up any position on this one), but why are we not allowed to use foreign languages on this board then? Not even in sigs? Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi?
As was explained quite a few times, it is simply so that posts can be moderated. If all of us who moderate were fluent in multiple languages, then more than just english would be permitted, but I'm not so that's how it is. My forum, my job to moderate it, my rule that everything has to be in a language I can read.

Immigration. It's what the USA is based on, what makes us unique and keeps us strong. The term 'melting pot' has been applied to the US since the beginning. I would hope no one here is saying people should not be permitted to move to our country and be a part of it.

Illegal immigration, on the other hand, holds no respect for our country at all. Those who don't make the effort to become a citizen DO NOT deserve any of our benefits and have no rights whatsoever. They have broken a law. I feel for the person who went through hardship and came here to improve their quality of life, but a sob story does not excuse them from trying to become a legal citizen.

It is ridiculous how these lawbreakers are demanding, actually demanding, the rights that our people tend to take for granted. If they want to be able to vote, to have a say in how things are run, to have access to free healthcare and and multiple other benefits... then become an American citizen and stop waving your Mexican flag in our faces. This is the USA, you're welcome here, we want you, but only if you're going to respect us and become part of us. Keep your heritage while the red, white and blue are flying from the top of the pole.

You hit the nail right on the head, Lodingi. Leave it to the politicians to turn a sticky situation into a total disaster.

e1, a few things to clear up.

no i did not migrate here into the US.

i was born here, and then at about 6 months old moved down to Costa Rica, and lived there for the first couple years of my life.

but i was born and raised a US citizen, same with my parents...

i am not saying, nor never did say, that u can only speak one language, and thats english. im just saying, if you come into the country, it is a MUST that u can FLUENTLY speak english though. b/c it pisses me off to talk to people that cant. and they get all pissed at me for not speaking their language...

its stupid.

e1, a few things to clear up.

no i did not migrate here into the US.

i was born here, and then at about 6 months old moved down to Costa Rica, and lived there for the first couple years of my life.

but i was born and raised a US citizen, same with my parents...

i am not saying, nor never did say, that u can only speak one language, and thats english. im just saying, if you come into the country, it is a MUST that u can FLUENTLY speak english though. b/c it pisses me off to talk to people that cant. and they get all pissed at me for not speaking their language...

its stupid.

So you and your family was allowed to live in another country for a couple years?

So everyone who goes to another country should have to be fluent in the language first?

Just curious.

my family was fluent in that language ;)

so yes.

i think its only proper respect to that country.

at least know enough of the language to carry on a pretty good conversation.

my dad was raised hispanic, so he was speaking spanish his whole life, and my mom, took 3 different languages in high school (4 years of all 3) and took them in college too, spanish being one of them, so she spoke it very well too...

me being 6 months old moving there, i didnt even talk yet.

my parents taught me english though, even though we were in costa rica. they said i would learn spanish when i started going to school there, but i needed to know english better, and it was harder to pick up on.

well i never ended up going to school in costa rica, so the only spanish i knew, was the stuff i'd here my family and family friends say....

i was 4, maybe 5 when i moved back here, speaking english perfectly, but i did have a little bit of a hispanic accent to it :P

so yah, i think its only respect to speak the language of the nation you are illegally entering.

(From editorial column)

Dear Mr. President,

I'm about to plan a little trip with my family and extended family, And I would like to ask you to assist me. I'm going to walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and I need to make a few arrangements. I know you can help with this. I plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws. I'm sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Vicente Fox, that I'm on my way over? Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family .

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. All government forms need to be printed in English.

4. I want my kids to be taught by English-speaking teachers.

5. Schools need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my kids to see the American flag flying on the top of the flag pole at their school with the Mexican flag flying lower down.

7. Please plan to feed my kids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do not plan to have any car insurance, and I won't make any effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from Pres. Fox to leave me alone, please be sure that all police officers speak English.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, and don't enforce any labor laws or tax laws.

13. Please tell all the people in the country to be extremely nice and never say a critical word about me, or about the strain I might place on the economy. I know this is an easy request b ecause you already do all these things for all t he people who come to the U.S. from Mexico. I am sure that Pres. Fox won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely. However, if he gives you any trouble, just invite him to go quail hunting with your V.P.

Sincerely,

a fellow American