no one lives forever Client MFC Application has stopped working

Oh my GOD!  Sorry for the necro-post, but I have been searching for DAYS for this answer.  Damn wireless headphones!  I tried all the other compatibility crap, unplugging monitors, disabling g-sync, etc.  Nothing worked.

HUGE thanks to Max80 for putting in some serious effort in tracking down this elusive glitch.

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2017 at 6:20 AM, Max80 said:

Okey dokey, here's what I got:

Fully resolved my NOLF 1 problem. In my case it was a USB transmitter/receiver for wireless headphones that brought on the Client MFC error. If the USB was plugged in,  NOLF 1 would not launch and give the error. If I removed the USB transmitter/receiver, the game starts up perfectly. I'm on Win 7, the above quoted user is on Win 10 but I would say operating system likely doesn't matter. The issue above is very likely same as mine, everything matches up. It's looking like some legacy Windows components are causing this particular problem and the legacy components are likely the same in both operating systems. That's why this same problem could occur on both Win 7 and Win 10 along with other operating systems like Win 8.

So...if you have a start up problem similar to what is discussed here, simply unplug ALL devices to your PC except your mouse so you can actually launch the game. If you have a corded mouse you can use for testing use it. Any USB transmitters/receivers for wireless devices MUST be removed from your computer USB ports. In my case I found simply disabling the headphones via Device Manager doesn't work, the USB transmitter/receiver had to be physically removed. A computer restart after you have unplugged everything would be a good idea and then try and launch NOLF.

I've found this problem can affect more than just NOLF. It appears games released in the 2000-2003 range appear to share a similar architecture which can lead to the same issue. Poster above mentions Alien Vs Predator 2 giving the same error as NOLF and it's a very high possibility the cause of AvP2 not working is the same as it is for NOLF. Release date for AvP2 is also in the correct time period.

If you find it is a device that has caused your problem, please do post exactly what device it is! With more hardware information it may be possible to accurately track down and understand what and why it is occurring. At this point without some other hardware samples from people it's not worth it for me to waste any more time on.

Hope this helps people out! NOLF 1 is a crazy great game and should be played by all!

Edit: I should also mention I'm not confident this is the solution for the original OP but I would certainly still try it. Original OP managed to get the game semi started by messing with screen resolutions etc. I have found when it's a device problem the game is dead, won't do even a partial startup under any circumstances. However, this may not be accurate so certainly worth it for everyone with NOLF startup issues to unplug their stuff and see what happens!

As incredible as it may sound it was the USB transmitter that solved it !!!

Thanks so much for pointing this out. what a bliss!

God Bless 🙂

• 5 months later...

Same here: disconnecting my wireless USB headset receiver made the game launch properly

The weird thing is, the game worked for 2 days after I installed it just fine with the usb headset receiver plugged in

Glad someone found out the solution for this weird problem, so thanks

• Like 1