Graphical bugs when in or around water causing NOLF1 to be unplayable

Hi everyone, I'm new to this series and this community. I've been wanting to play the NOLF games for quite a while now and I was unbelievably excited when I received them in the mail today. I heard NOLF 1 in particular needs some tinkering to get working on modern systems, so I didn't think that would be an issue, seeing as I've done this with many, many other games already and always get them working perfectly.

Well, that's not the case this time around. I've been searching Google and even this very forum for hours and have not found a solution to my problem or even another person who experienced it as well. Basically, I'm having HUGE graphical bugs, all related to water, one of which makes the game literally unplayable. Whenever I look in the direction of water sources, I get these constant flashes of stretched, distorted textures across my screen. Water itself also only appears within like a three foot radius and is completely invisible past that point. And finally, when I go underwater, my screen turns completely black. I've tried everything I could find and think of. The game is running flawlessly aside from these issues, I've got the widescreen and framerate fixes and all of that, but nothing I'm doing will fix these graphical bugs. Changing settings doesn't do anything, running the game in different compatibility modes doesn't do anything, I'm just out of ideas.

I'm running the game on a laptop. Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 4GB RAM, and Windows 8.1. If you would like to see video of these bugs, I can record a quick clip of it happening.

So yeah. I've been wanting to play these games so badly, and now that I finally have them, I can't do that(well for the first game at least, I'd imagine the second game is going to be easier to get working). I'm really desperate for a solution, especially because I'm already loving the game based on the first hour and a half I've played of it.

Some have had to run the game in windowed mode. You can also try the launcher in our downloads made by URA that has some graphics settings tweaks in it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exact same problem here, also on a laptop with windows 8.1. After noticing the issues I installed it on my brothers PC (which has Windows 7), and it worked perfectly, so I imagine it's either an issue with the integrated graphics card or Windows 8.1.

Have you tried running it in the windowed mode?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I, for one, have had my own problems with the screen turning black when entering water.

I'm using windows 10, and my graphics card is the one that came with the laptop (i.e. it's barely worth the plastic and metal it took to make it).

I, for one, have had my own problems with the screen turning black when entering water.

I'm using windows 10, and my graphics card is the one that came with the laptop (i.e. it's barely worth the plastic and metal it took to make it).

Try running the game in windowed mode.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried this and it still didn't fix it.

What make and model is your video card?

What make and model is your video card?

Intel HD Graphics 4400. It seems like most people who are having this problem have intel video cards, and since I currently only have a laptop I can't really change them lol. Am I just out of luck until I can piece together a decent desktop?

You can double check your drivers using Intel's driver update utility at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html. I imagine you're using the latest driver, but it never hurts to check just in case the driver shipped with your laptop wasn't completely ready for your version of Windows.

You can double check your drivers using Intel's driver update utility at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html. I imagine you're using the latest driver, but it never hurts to check just in case the driver shipped with your laptop wasn't completely ready for your version of Windows.

Yeah I checked yesterday and it wasn't up to date, but updating it didn't fix it. Oh well, motivation to finally build a desktop I guess. I was just hoping someone would have a fix for it.

• 2 weeks later...

All bugs were fixed for me when I - instead of installing the game - copied all the "Game" and "Data" files from the two NOLF discs onto my harddrive and patched the game afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry having to say none of the posted solutions did any good here*. In any screen containing glass or water surfaces (as here in Morocco scene 3) occur those annoying graphic errors, including the black screen underwater, making the game impossible to play. Doesn't anyone have an idea? I'm so desperate I'd even pound on some DirectX binaries if someone could tell me where and what. But I still hope there is a workaround in the autoexec.cfg and/or the NVidia settings to find.

*) Here: Acer Aspire V5-573G, NVidia GeForce 750M, Windows 7 64bit SP1, DirectX 11 newest

nolf-glitch01.jpg

Sorry having to say none of the posted solutions did any good here*. In any screen containing glass or water surfaces (as here in Morocco scene 3) occur those annoying graphic errors, including the black screen underwater, making the game impossible to play. Doesn't anyone have an idea? I'm so desperate I'd even pound on some DirectX binaries if someone could tell me where and what. But I still hope there is a workaround in the autoexec.cfg and/or the NVidia settings to find.

*) Here: Acer Aspire V5-573G, NVidia GeForce 750M, Windows 7 64bit SP1, DirectX 11 newest

nolf-glitch01.jpg

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Thanks for the Q/A. Of course, compatibility mode was one of the first things I tried - from '95 to XP, even in 640x480 and 256 colors. Additionally, I messed around with nearly each line in the autoexec.cfg, in combination with several NVidia control settings. The most frustrating is: about three years ago, somehow I managed to get the game running - with butchered inter-menus then, but at least it was playable. Anyway, I can't remember how or what I did.

In the end, I hit on how I made the game run (years ago, you remember my post above?)

The point was to apply the altered NVidia settings (set in NVidia Control Center) *not* on NOLF.EXE but on LITHTECH.EXE which is housed in the same directory (and obviously the "inner" game executable). Neither the transparent-texture flashes nor the underwater blackscreen appear any more, but as mentioned, now flickering inter-menus are torturing me between the chapters (and with watching the level orders, etc). Well, at least it's playable that way.

Edited by Dircules

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, I have the same problem, but with NOLF 2...when poisoned, burning or underwater the screen goes black, searching the internet I found fix for the first part of the series... pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever#Black_screen_when_underwater (on the bottom of the page) I didn't try it though, I am continuing my search, hope it can help you... I actually would like to play the first part too a bit later .

On 5/31/2017 at 0:25 AM, Bosso said:

Hi guys, I have the same problem, but with NOLF 2...when poisoned, burning or underwater the screen goes black, searching the internet I found fix for the first part of the series... pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever#Black_screen_when_underwater (on the bottom of the page) I didn't try it though, I am continuing my search, hope it can help you... I actually would like to play the first part too a bit later .

Do you have the Livesforever mod selected while playing the single player?

On 1. 6. 2017 at 10:37 AM, Eliteone said:

Do you have the Livesforever mod selected while playing the single player?

I don't have the mode, I wanted to download it and play online later, now I am in single player

16 hours ago, Bosso said:

I don't have the mode, I wanted to download it and play online later, now I am in single player

Ok cause the mod has been known to cause some single player oddities.