Windows 10 Pro

Upgraded this evening and ran NOLF2 on it successfully.

Did you purchase Win. 10 Pro ? This free upgrade is confusing, I have Win. 7 Ultimate and wonder what the heck I would get if I downloaded Win 10 from Microsoft?

Did you purchase Win. 10 Pro ? This free upgrade is confusing, I have Win. 7 Ultimate and wonder what the heck I would get if I downloaded Win 10 from Microsoft?

You will get 10 Pro as the free upgrade from Ultimate (There being no Windows 10 Ultimate edition.) See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq for the details.

I'm part of the Windows Insiders program so we got the first upgrades on release day.

I had Windows 8.1 Pro so it upgraded me to Windows 10 Pro.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This may sound harsh but let me you: whoever states that the game is working fine under Windows 10 must have just had a look and closed the game down because NOLF2 is literally unplayable on this OS. I have a list of things:

- Vsync just doesn't work. The in-game setting only lowers the fps a bit (which of course does not help one bit because you'll still get stuttering) and using RivaTuner Statistic Server to limit your fps only results in unbearable framskipping issues.

- Very frequent crashing with the widescreen mod.

- On top of the stuttering and frameskipping issues mentioned earlier the game stutters heavily whenever a guard enters search mode and the only way to fix this is by fully disabling music so you can basically choose between an unplayable and an unenjoyable game. Thanks, but no thanks.

Bottom line: NOLF2 works on Windows 10 but it's practically unplayable and you can do nothing to solve your issues (I've tried everything, wasted almost 6 hours trying every kind of workaround). Spare yourself the trouble and just don't even try.

Win 10 64 bit, i7 2600 3.4 ghz, GTX 970.

Edited by Zaxx

This may sound harsh but let me you: whoever states that the game is working fine under Windows 10 must have just had a look and closed the game down because NOLF2 is literally unplayable on this OS. I have a list of things:

- Vsync just doesn't work. The in-game setting only lowers the fps a bit (which of course does not help one bit because you'll still get stuttering) and using RivaTuner Statistic Server to limit your fps only results in unbearable framskipping issues.

- Very frequent crashing with the widescreen mod.

- On top of the stuttering and frameskipping issues mentioned earlier the game stutters heavily whenever a guard enters search mode and the only way to fix this is by fully disabling music so you can basically choose between an unplayable and an unenjoyable game. Thanks, but no thanks.

Bottom line: NOLF2 works on Windows 10 but it's practically unplayable and you can do nothing to solve your issues (I've tried everything, wasted almost 6 hours trying every kind of workaround). Spare yourself the trouble and just don't even try.

Win 10 64 bit, i7 2600 3.4 ghz, GTX 970.

I play it all the time on Windows 10 Pro. Are you using the Game Launcher from our downloads or?

I play it all the time on Windows 10 Pro. Are you using the Game Launcher from our downloads or?

What difference would a launcher make? Isn't that only for multiplayer?

Edit: Yeah, nothing, still all the same issues + it messes up the widescreen mod because it seems to have its own terrible widescreen solution (a simple fov change I can do a lot better myself if I go to the config file? what a feature!). Thanks for wasting my time.

Edit 2: Sorry for being harsh, I just wasted so much 'frelling' time on getting this game to work.

Edited by Zaxx

What difference would a launcher make? Isn't that only for multiplayer?

Edit: Yeah, nothing, still all the same issues + it messes up the widescreen mod because it seems to have its own terrible widescreen solution (a simple fov change I can do a lot better myself if I go to the config file? what a feature!). Thanks for wasting my time.

Edit 2: Sorry for being harsh, I just wasted so much ******* time on getting this game to work.

Being rude to those of us donating our time to try to help you get the game going on your computer isn't the best approach to take. As myself and many others have gotten it to work on modern PCs with Windows 10 Pro it is more likely a configuration or hardware issue with your machine.

That being said I am still willing to try to help you with it. However treating UHQ Staff rudely for us trying to help based upon the information you have provided will not be tolerated.

Myself I have to run it on Compatibility mode (Windows 7 works for me) with the run as administrator option.

Will these old games work perfectly on widescreens at ultra high resolutions? Not always as they were designed long before widescreen monitors.

If you search the forum you will find lots of information on the various settings people have done to get these games working on their computers.

To answer you about the launcher it includes a widescreen setting

Features: Built in server list with server query and player list

Auto mod loading for selected server

Smart .rez loading

Unlocked display resolution in display settings with auto FOV setting (widescreen support), no need to edit .ini files anymore.

First time usage: After installing, start NOLF2 and select your display resolution from the Display page.

Anyhow the next steps are up to you if you want us to help you with this then you have to be patient as we are offering suggestions based upon what you tell us.

Being rude to those of us donating our time to try to help you get the game going on your computer isn't the best approach to take.

Sorry again, it really was nothing personal, just a result of a lot of time already wasted so when I saw that the launcher introduced a new issue with the field of view I frankly just lost it. I'm just generally frustrated because I'm out of ideas and as a huge fan of playing classic titles and emulation that's a feeling I'm just not used to, I very rarely encounter as many problems as in this case and even if I do a solution usually surfaces.

As myself and many others have gotten it to work on modern PCs with Windows 10 Pro it is more likely a configuration or hardware issue with your machine.

That occured to me as well so I re-installed the game and my GPU drivers a number of times (fresh installs without any kind of leftover files so of course) but I still couldn't solve any of the problems mentioned earlier. Of course anything else can be a factor too but I keep my OS very clean (I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit as well), I don't have any kind of software that could affect NOLF2's DirectX 8.1 tech and I have no issues with any other game (well, apart from NOLF1 but those were clear compatibility problems and I managed to solve most of them). Of course I can never be 100% sure but it's a pretty safe bet that my machine has nothing to do with it.

Myself I have to run it on Compatibility mode (Windows 7 works for me) with the run as administrator option.

Running as an administrator is usually the first compatibility option I enable when trying to run older games and I did my fair share or trial and error with the other settings as well (I tried it with no compatibility setting at first, then Win 7, Win XP SP2, Win XP Sp3, Win8 so all of the relevant options) both in the case of Nolf2.exe and the actual Lithtech.exe: they did not help one bit. What kind of GPU do you have? How old are your GPU drivers? It certainly could be a driver issue so who knows, maybe an older driver (I have the 368.69 Nvidia drivers) would help me. Anyway I did not mess around much with NOLF2 in the GPU control panel, I only experimented with some basic stuff: vsync (I even tried the new free sync option, it did not help), triple buffering, shader cache, pre-rendered frames and the only graphical overhaul I applied to the game were 16x anisotropic filtering, FXAA and DSR (2560x1440). Turning either of these options on or off made no difference.

It's also worth to note that one of my problems (and frankly this one's the most important because this is what renders the game unplayable), the one with the stuttering when the guards are in search mode is reported by the game's PCGamingWiki page so it's certainly a widely known issue:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way#Stuttering_when_guards_are_alerted

Edited by Zaxx

Seems like I exhausted the number of characters so I'll just continue in a new post:

To answer you about the launcher it includes a widescreen setting

And that's what causes my fov issue with the launcher because I use a different solution when it comes to applying widescreen support. Wobak's widescreen mod offers better widescreen implementation because it doesn't stretch the weapon models, it adjusts most of the hud and ui elements and it also automatically adjusts the vertical field of view so I only have to edit the horizontal one in the ini file. URA's launcher also has automatic fov adjustment so the two settings collide and that results in stretched weapon models paired with a compressed image (= the level and the enemies appear taller than they should be).

Btw. last year I could play the game with the same settings and Wobak's widescreen mod on this same machine without problems when I was still on Windows 7 and that's why my suspicion points toward a compatibility issue with Windows 10.

Edited by Zaxx

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on with a Icore 5 CPU, 16GB RAM and an Nvidia 970 GTX video card with the drivers released on July 14th this month.

I run the game on 1920 x 1080 on a Samsung curved 27" LED monitor.

My machine is a custom build with an Asrock motherboard etc. I ran these games on Windows 8/8/1 as well without any issues.

An off the wall question for you but what are you using for Anti-Virus etc? Have you tried excluded the directories for NOLF 2 from it.

Also have you tried running it in Windowed mode?

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2017 at 7:05 PM, Zaxx said:

Still having this issue:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way#Stuttering_when_guards_are_alerted

Any workaround for this? I don't want to play with music disabled.

Is your game fully patched and are you running it in Windows XP compatibility mode, run as administrator?

I installed a "clean" Windows 10x64 Enterprise 1607 LTSB [MSDN]
Disgusting design, vile font and disgusting user tracking.:huh:
I tried to fix ... I made a topic here ...
http://forum.rsload.net/cat-windows-10/topic-6174.html
but it's not possible...
Now I will use Windows 7x64 SP1 as long as possible.

Edited by orion98

15 hours ago, orion98 said:

I installed a "clean" Windows 10x64 Enterprise 1607 LTSB [MSDN]
Disgusting design, vile font and disgusting user tracking.:huh:
I tried to fix ... I made a topic here ...
http://forum.rsload.net/cat-windows-10/topic-6174.html
but it's not possible...
Now I will use Windows 7x64 SP1 as long as possible.

Not sure why you're having so much trouble with Win 10. The tracking is easy to disable. You can google the how to and find good articles on how to do so.

On 7/24/2017 at 4:05 AM, Zaxx said:

Still having this issue:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way#Stuttering_when_guards_are_alerted

Any workaround for this? I don't want to play with music disabled.

Found a fix for this: emulating DirectX8 through dgVoodoo fixes the issue IF you limit your fps with vsync. DgVoodoo basically makes vsync work how it should (without dgVoodoo the game's vsync is buggy, it only lowers your fps somewhat and never syncs it up with the refresh rate) so even though you're theoretically getting the performance drop caused by the music you won't actually see it until you can hold the framerate that matches your monitor's refresh rate.

Edited by Zaxx

On 7/30/2017 at 3:40 PM, Zaxx said:

Found a fix for this: emulating DirectX8 through dgVoodoo fixes the issue IF you limit your fps with vsync. DgVoodoo basically makes vsync work how it should (without dgVoodoo the game's vsync is buggy, it only lowers your fps somewhat and never syncs it up with the refresh rate) so even though you're theoretically getting the performance drop caused by the music you won't actually see it until you can hold the framerate that matches your monitor's refresh rate.

Thanks for sharing this fix :)