NOLF 2 Community Revitalize

So 2 weeks ago I started looking for Nolf 2 again. Over the years I have played many FPS / tactical / arcade games but never one with a combination like Nolf 2. Speed, kill / tag system, Doomsday mode, the graphics, the style, the maps, the game has always fit me like a glove.

Sadly, as with every other game, games can die and Nolf 2 is terminally ill.

During my time in uni, I met some friends who are also enthousiastic gamers. One of them knew nolf 1 but not from multiplayer mode. I think I can actually get some people into playing Nolf 2.

On top of that, I continued gaming with some nolfers long after I quit nolf. Slyguy is a good example. We have been playing games since about 2009. We lost touch after that but I will see what people I can get in touch with.

I am willing to spend time and effort in revitalizing the Nolf 2 community. To do so, we would have to do it together and come up with a plan. We already started a WhatsApp group and we have a Nolf saturday in August. Those are excellent ideas. The problem however, is that succes depends on the number of people and if people will want to start playing again. We can't really do anything about people's will to start playing again. What we can do, is make sure we reach as many oldtimers as we can. We can also introduce Nolf 2 to people we know.

What I would like to do with this topic, is gather ideas on how we can rebuild a stable nolf 2 community.

Here is one simple idea:

- Everybody makes time to get the contact information of as many old Nolfers as possible. We create a UnityHQ mail about the Nolf 2 weekend and send it to as many people as we can.
Many people will have changed email adresses so the effectivity can be low.

Here is another simple idea:

- We go to all the Nolf pages on Facebook and post an image or URL with a message about the nolf weekend. We can also ask people to identify themselves in the comments with their player name and to get in touch with as many people they still know.

With the above idea, you create a snowball effect.

I'd like to know if anybody else has more ideas. I am sure that many people will often want to go back to nolf but since its all ad hoc short term feelings, we never really get back into nolf together.

Maybe we could ask E1 if she could put out a circular for August weekend?

What doya think E1

I just posted a topic on a possible Euro server, read it here: http://unityhq.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5737#entry103472

On top of that, I was able to contact some old nolfers. At least 1 will definately show up. I am still trying to get in touch with others.

I meet with my 2 best game friends on thursday. They have never played nolf 2 but are experienced FPS types. I will get them to try nolf 2. If they like it (and just because of the fact that we are best friends from uni) they will start playing it.

So basically we have the following event:
- A Nolf 2 day about 3-4 weeks ahead

Now we have to maximize the marketing. As I said before, would it be a good idea to post about this day in all the nolf 1/nolf 2 community groups on facebook? That post would consist of:
- The introduction of the nolf 2 day in a "nolf" way
- Links to relevant UnityHQ pages on how to get nolf 2 multiplayer working
- A link to a topic about the nolf day. On this topic, we can make a list of who will defiantely attend

On top of that, I have just proven to myself that it is useful to go through old contacts as at least 1 will defiantely show up. People will respond!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people, remember me? I used to be on top ranking of almost every DD ou DM matches lol I was really good, always above 40 kills and very often around 50-55 , with a top score of awesome 65 kills!!!

So much fun I had in this community!!

I even started to make maps, which Im very proud to this day!

Time has passed, I hope everyone is ok!

Hi people, remember me? I used to be on top ranking of almost every DD ou DM matches lol I was really good, always above 40 kills and very often around 50-55 , with a top score of awesome 65 kills!!!

So much fun I had in this community!!

I even started to make maps, which Im very proud to this day!

Time has passed, I hope everyone is ok!

Indeed much time. How have you been?

I'm still here kicking the tyres on this thing lol.

Hello Koyasha, I remember you. You must be a judge in Brazil by now :-).

Back on topic:

- We have a good WhatsApp group going now. It contains 8 nolfers and we have weekly matches. Although not everybody can show up everytime, the bigger the group gets, the bigger the matches get. We have a game of nolf planned for tonight (August 8) at 23:00 CET = 1700 PM EST.

- I made a Nolf 2 Facebook group in which I started to invite all old nolfers. You can find it here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1621550428128354/?fref=ts
It also contains a PDF in which I explain thoroughly how to get nolf 2 playable on modern systems.

- I am now working out the details with a hosting company that has locations in Amsterdam and the U.S. East Coast. I will start with renting 1 gameserver and expand it with an american server in the future. It now depends on the details.

If anyone wants this community to be rebuilt, we need to get in touch with more people. Add yourself to the facebook group then invite all your nolf 2 friends.
I have also introduced nolf 2 to 2 real life friends who will start playing it. You can do the same.

I can certainly send out an email to registered members of this forum.

If you guys want to draft up something and message it to me I'll send it out.

Hi Elite1, nice to see this site is still up and well.

Do you still run servers for NOLF2?

Still have 1 NOLF2 and 1 NOLF server up these days.

• 3 weeks later...

For those following this topic.

I am going to get in touch with nighthawk. LameDuck will get me in touch with [LW] Scope and he will probably know how I can find [LW] Nighthawk.

Nighthawk was able to host Nolf 2 under linux. A real stable build. This also gave extra options such as a player limit of 32 in a server etc.

Since nolf 2 is a windows game, 99% of the hosting companies can not host it or charge an excessive price for a bulletproof windows server. However, if I get that linux build, I already have a company that will charge their regular linux-2003-game tariffs for excellent servers. They also agreed to me delivering the files and instructions to them.

In the meantime, we are steadily growing on facebook. Find us here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1621550428128354/?fref=nf

The facebook and whatsapp group are for fast communications. Forums are usually somewhat slower as people do not check forums 10 times a day. You do check your whatsapp or facebook multiple times a day so that increases the likelihood of us being able to set dates for games more effectively.

To be continued, [LW] Scope is on a holiday so I have to wait another week.

For those following this topic.

I am going to get in touch with nighthawk. LameDuck will get me in touch with [LW] Scope and he will probably know how I can find [LW] Nighthawk.

Nighthawk was able to host Nolf 2 under linux. A real stable build. This also gave extra options such as a player limit of 32 in a server etc.

Since nolf 2 is a windows game, 99% of the hosting companies can not host it or charge an excessive price for a bulletproof windows server. However, if I get that linux build, I already have a company that will charge their regular linux-2003-game tariffs for excellent servers. They also agreed to me delivering the files and instructions to them.

In the meantime, we are steadily growing on facebook. Find us here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1621550428128354/?fref=nf

The facebook and whatsapp group are for fast communications. Forums are usually somewhat slower as people do not check forums 10 times a day. You do check your whatsapp or facebook multiple times a day so that increases the likelihood of us being able to set dates for games more effectively.

To be continued, [LW] Scope is on a holiday so I have to wait another week.

I have inexpensive Linux options as well FYI.