Windows 8.1 and NOLF 2

I upgraded my Windows 8 pro to 8.1 yesterday.

sysspec.jpg

When trying to run the Multi-Player Launcher I had to switch it to Windows 7 compatability mode to get it to run.

To do that right-click your shortcut for it (or the program) go to the compatability mode tab and select Windows 7

compatability_mode.jpg

Then click ok and start it up like you normally do.

If you have an Nvidia video card follow these steps (unless you have a 3D monitor)

1. Right-click on your desktop and go to "NVIDIA Control Panel"
2. In the left-hand pane under "Steroscopic 3D", click on "Set up steroscopic 3D"
3. Un-check the box called "Enable stereoscopic 3D"

Then your video won't look 3d like when you launch the game.

Just wanted to give anyone else who upgrades the heads up.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have not been able to play Nolf2 for the past two computers I bought. The music plays at the start during the credits but as soon as the game starts there is no sound. The video is great on my new HP desktop with windows 8 os but there is not game sound. I have tried everything to fix this but nothing works. Great video - no sound past the lead in credits. Can you help?

Hi,

I have not been able to play Nolf2 for the past two computers I bought. The music plays at the start during the credits but as soon as the game starts there is no sound. The video is great on my new HP desktop with windows 8 os but there is not game sound. I have tried everything to fix this but nothing works. Great video - no sound past the lead in credits. Can you help?

Have you applied the settings in my previous post?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Let me pop in this discussion with absolutely no knowledge about the subject. So my tips might be totally wrong then, who knows? :-p

Here is a list of things I would attempt to make the game work:

- move the game in a more right-friendly folder (not "Program Files" but in your home folder instead)

- set windows XP as a compatibility mode os version

- try to launch the game via cmd.exe and see if something is printed from the game (maybe this way we could get an error message)

- is the game up to date?

Personally, I would not attempt to run the game in a vm. (If so, do not forget to get into the BIOS and enable intel virtualization technology and intel VT-d feature - at least this is required on my machien) I don't know if this is still the case, but running stuffs on your GPU with virtualization is quite a mess. Most of the time, my GPU is not detected and I do have only the classic CPU to do the calculations... which is horribly slow since it was not built for that manner.

Plus you need an old windows cd/dvd image under your elbow...

I run the GOTY NOLF and NOLF2 in the following paths (using Windows 8.1 Professional update 1 = my earlier post)

NOLF2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2

NOLF1 GOTY

C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever

The key for Windows 8/8.1 and even Windows 7 is user permissions as the newer versions of Windows don't allow these programs the permissions they are used to when running on user accounts with insufficient permissions.