NOLF Graphics And Patching Problem?

I downloaded No One Lives Forever Game Of The Year Edition and i set all the graphic settings to maximum but when i played the game there were lines on the wall and floor which moved with me.I tried lowering the graphic settings but it didn't work.Is there something wrong with the game?

Also my game says that the version is 1.003 and i can't run multiplayer on it so i tried downloading the patch but the patch does not apply.What do i do?

First off welcome to UHQ.

Can you provide some more information so I can help you troubleshoot.

What version of Windows are you running?

What type of video card?

First off welcome to UHQ.

Can you provide some more information so I can help you troubleshoot.

What version of Windows are you running?

What type of video card?

Hey.I was able to finally upgrade the game to version 1.004 so that's fixed.

I also found that the wired textures were due to turning lightmaps on in options.When lightmaps is turned off,there are no weird graphical bugs but alas the quality suffers.Is there a way around it?

I'm running windows 7 64 bit,intel core i5 2.4Ghz processor and an ATI Radeon HD 6400M graphic card.

Hey.I was able to finally upgrade the game to version 1.004 so that's fixed.

I also found that the wired textures were due to turning lightmaps on in options.When lightmaps is turned off,there are no weird graphical bugs but alas the quality suffers.Is there a way around it?

I'm running windows 7 64 bit,intel core i5 2.4Ghz processor and an ATI Radeon HD 6400M graphic card.

Unfortunately since most of the technology you are running the game on wasn't even an option when the game was made..............it has limitations by today's standards.

I'm having this exact same issue and I registered just to get help

I've actually managed to get NOLF working perfectly on my old Windows 7 computer but I'm having this issue on my new latop (also windows7), HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

I'm having this exact same issue and I registered just to get help

I've actually managed to get NOLF working perfectly on my old Windows 7 computer but I'm having this issue on my new latop (also windows7), HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

You could cheat and copy the Nolf folder from the working computer to the new one.

You could cheat and copy the Nolf folder from the working computer to the new one.

I did just that, in fact that was the first thing I did when I encountered this problem, thinking that something just got messed up in the file transfer, I bit the bullet and just bought an actual copy of the game, thinking a fresh copy would fix the issue, but it didn't (at least I got the jewelcase and manual out of the deal), meaning that it's has something to do with the way my laptop runs the game, not the game itself

what's weird is my laptop doesn't like my copies of Fallout 1 and 2 either, even though they ran fine on an older computer too, but I've had no issue playing a few other old games on it, why it does run some old games fine and not others?

this is one of the most confounding and frustrating computer problems I've run into in years, I mean it just makes no damn sense at all, it's not a gaming laptop but for God's sake, it should be able to run a game from friggin' 2000!

I did just that, in fact that was the first thing I did when I encountered this problem, thinking that something just got messed up in the file transfer, I bit the bullet and just bought an actual copy of the game, thinking a fresh copy would fix the issue, but it didn't (at least I got the jewelcase and manual out of the deal), meaning that it's has something to do with the way my laptop runs the game, not the game itself

what's weird is my laptop doesn't like my copies of Fallout 1 and 2 either, even though they ran fine on an older computer too, but I've had no issue playing a few other old games on it, why it does run some old games fine and not others?

this is one of the most confounding and frustrating computer problems I've run into in years, I mean it just makes no damn sense at all, it's not a gaming laptop but for God's sake, it should be able to run a game from friggin' 2000!

What type of video does the new machine use?

is this the info you're looking for?

Intel® Core™ i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

That's processor (CPU) was looking for what it is using for video.

ok, I think the card is simply called Intel® HD Graphics Family

like I said, it's not a gaming laptop, it doesn't have an Nvidia or anything

Actually, in indicating the CPU, Billy was also telling you the graphics chipset since this particular Intel CPU has on-chip graphics (Intel® HD Graphics 3000):

http://ark.intel.com/products/53438/

(Unless the laptop manufacturer decided to add a stand-alone graphics chipset)

Actually, in indicating the CPU, Billy was also telling you the graphics chipset since this particular Intel CPU has on-chip graphics (Intel® HD Graphics 3000):

http://ark.intel.com/products/53438/

(Unless the laptop manufacturer decided to add a stand-alone graphics chipset)

Well I'm glad you had the time to investigate it further.

To answer his question most likely, again I haven't googled the details most integrated Intel graphic chips don't support the hardware requirements Nolf looks for.

so, am I hosed?

Do you have switchable grafic cards? Right click on desktop should show you the details.

If the Intel integrated graphics are your only option for the laptop then most likely it's not going to run on there or not run well.

As he/she got an Intel® Core™ i3-2350M, I supposed there have to be two cards, as they don't produce note- (or netbooks) with Core i3 and Intel grafic chips only. Single Intel chips often come with netbooks or Apple Airs.

Edited by {IF} Crusader

there's no patch or anything to fix this?

Unfortunately a patch won't fix a hardware compatibility issue.

I don't normally try to run games on my laptops, but since I have a couple that are similar to Billy's, I decided to install NOLF and see if I got similar results. I installed the GotY version of the game on the following two laptops:

Dell Inspiron N5110, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10 GHz, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 6 GB Memory

Gateway NE56R12u, Win8 Professional 64-bit, Intel Pentium B950 2.10 GHz, Intel HD 2000 Graphics, 4 GB Memory

I get the same graphical issue reported by rngbeastx in this thread (with photo):

http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?showtopic=3643

Billy can confirm whether this is the same graphical corruption he sees.

Note that rngbeastx has a laptop with dual display drivers, and he apparently had the same issue with both an Intel and NVIDIA chipset (he switched renderers). The OP in this thread had an ATI chipset. So this is not an issue specific to a single graphics manufacturer. All these problem reports apparently have the following in common:

64-bit Windows (7 or 8) on a laptop.

I installed NOLF GotYon a Compaq CQ5110F Win7 Home Premium 32-bit desktop machine with an AMD Athlon x2 7550 64-bit processor and an NVIDIA GeForce 210 card installed, and did NOT have this graphics issue. So the issue is not peculiar to Win7/Win8 in general. It would be interesting to see if somebody with a 64-bit Win7 or Win8 desktop is also having this issue (I don't have one).

I have to wonder if this is possibly a (64-bit) DirectX issue or some by-product of Microsoft's heavy-handed policies on 64-bit drivers (for laptops and possbily also for desktop machines).

I don't normally try to run games on my laptops, but since I have a couple that are similar to Billy's, I decided to install NOLF and see if I got similar results. I installed the GotY version of the game on the following two laptops:

Dell Inspiron N5110, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10 GHz , Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 6 GB Memory

Gateway NE56R12u, Win8 Professional 64-bit, Intel Pentium B950 2.10 GHz, Intel HD 2000 Graphics, 4 GB Memory

I get the same graphical issue reported by rngbeastx in this thread (with photo):

http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?showtopic=3643

Billy can confirm whether this is the same graphical corruption he sees.

Note that rngbeastx has a laptop with dual display drivers, and he apparently had the same issue with both an Intel and NVIDIA chipset (he switched renderers). The OP in this thread had an ATI chipset. So this is not an issue specific to a single graphics manufacturer. All these problem reports apparently have the following in common:

64-bit Windows (7 or 8) on a laptop.

I installed NOLF GotY on a Compaq CQ5110F Win7 Home Premium 32-bit desktop machine with an AMD Athlon x2 7550 64-bit processor and an NVIDIA GeForce 210 card installed, and did NOT have this graphics issue. So the issue is not peculiar to Win7/Win8 in general. It would be interesting to see if somebody with a 64-bit Win7 or Win8 desktop is also having this issue (I don't have one).

I have to wonder if this is possibly a (64-bit) DirectX issue or some by-product of Microsoft's heavy-handed policies on 64-bit drivers (for laptops and possbily also for desktop machines).

yup, that's exactly how it looks for me too

To answer both of you. It is possible. Nolf's original installer even has 64 bit issues. Considering how old it is (came out long before 64 bit CPUs and operating systems)

You could try to run it in compatibility mode and see if that helps.

Other than that there isn't a fix for the problem nor will there be unless someone wants to develop it.

• 4 months later...

so, it's been a few months now and I'm disappointed to see no one has made any progress on fixing this issue, I'm getting NOLF cravings again and really want a way to fix this :cry2:

how I wish Good Old Games would re-release NOLF 1 and 2, I'm sure they would fix any issues with it, bit I read on a gaming site that no one knows who owns the rights to NOLF anymore! making it unlikely if not outright impossible of a re-release

it's hard out there for a NOLF fan

It's the Intel onboard graphics that are giving you the issue.

To fix this you would need to either add a mobile graphics solution (If your laptops supported that) or another computer that has a supported graphics card etc.

Yes you are correct given the age of the game and the current who has the rights to it stuff it's very unlikely any "official" patches with happen for it.

• 1 month later...