Is the community still active?

I was doing a serious clean-up around the house today and came across my NOLF CDs. I haven't played it since around 2003. I was excited to see if anyone was still playing it. It looks like there are servers running, but all of them were empty. Any insight on whether or not people still play this game?

Although sometimes it may seem that no one is still around...just try joining a server and wait 10 minutes...they are coming out of nowhere! :D

• 1 year later...

Well, it's not like there's always people online like a typical MMO game these days, quite frankly there's usually NO ONE as you've noticed, with forum conversations spanning over months or years from inactivity. But you may have luck if you stay in a server for awhlie and people notice that it's not empty (omg another person! lol).

Well, it's not like there's always people online like a typical MMO game these days, quite frankly there's usually NO ONE as you've noticed, with forum conversations spanning over months or years from inactivity. But you may have luck if you stay in a server for awhlie and people notice that it's not empty (omg another person! lol).

We gather on the servers every weekend and sometime during the week as well. So your statement isn't entirely accurate.

We gather on the servers every weekend and sometime during the week as well. So your statement isn't entirely accurate.

Like all day on the weekend, or what time? How many of you guys?

I guess the servers must get some use, or they wouldn't still be up, right? Still, if it's mostly only on the weekends, that's still "mostly no one" if you count those other 5 days of the week, especially compared to other online games.

Edited by CoLdOwN

Like all day on the weekend, or what time? How many of you guys?

I guess the servers must get some use, or they wouldn't still be up, right? Still, if it's mostly only on the weekends, that's still "mostly no one" if you count those other 5 days of the week, especially compared to other online games.

Why so "downer" ?

NOLF games have a niche following. Are the anything like Call of Duty? no and they never will be.

Weekends people gather on the servers, mostly DD around 3PM US Eastern time. The weekdays it varies.

The servers are paid for by community members who pitch in every month so they must still have a passion for the games to do this every month.

We have new people registering here every week so these games are not dead by any means either.

I am managing the hirnschwund.net NOLF server and I can say that people are online there on almost every day.

Sure, there are more people playing on weekends, but it is a really popular server.

And if no one is online I just idle around sometimes and players join me after some minutes.

There is still a lot of activity going on - for a game that was never "mainstream" it is really a lot.

If you want to compare with standard "pew-pew-pew" games like Half-Life and CoD, Nolf loses.

But I am glad that Nolf isn't one of them.

I am managing the hirnschwund.net NOLF server and I can say that people are online there on almost every day.

Sure, there are more people playing on weekends, but it is a really popular server.

And if no one is online I just idle around sometimes and players join me after some minutes.

There is still a lot of activity going on - for a game that was never "mainstream" it is really a lot.

If you want to compare with standard "pew-pew-pew" games like Half-Life and CoD, Nolf loses.

But I am glad that Nolf isn't one of them.

hirnschwund.net... I never see that one. Whenever I refresh the servers I only see the 6 Unity HQ ones and 2 Co-Op servers by OwN-3m-All, usually all at 0/4, 0/8/ or 0/16 players.

Anyway, "Mainstream" is exactly what I am comparing to. If a mainstream game had as little players as Nolf, it would easily be considered dead for sure. I mean some people (not me) consider World of Warcraft to be dieing yet it still has 8 million or more players.

You guys are right when you say Nolf isn't exactly like other games, but that doesn't mean it has to have this small a niche. I'd rather there to be way more players exposed to Nolfs greatness. I know for a fact that more people used this site more often, back in 2007 and before or so, plus there were some other Nolf websites that shut down around that time. Before master server shutdown there were always games up and running. So I was just being realistic. The game has way less players than it did before. When is that ever good?

Edited by CoLdOwN

hirnschwund.net... I never see that one. Whenever I refresh the servers I only see the 6 Unity HQ ones and 2 Co-Op servers by OwN-3m-All, usually all at 0/4, 0/8/ or 0/16 players.

Yeah, that is because you are talking about NOLF2 and I am talking about NOLF1, which is a HUGE difference.

NOLF1 still has official Gamespy support - you put in the CD and you start playing. NOLF2 wasn't so lucky.

Yeah, that is because you are talking about NOLF2 and I am talking about NOLF1, which is a HUGE difference.

NOLF1 still has official Gamespy support - you put in the CD and you start playing. NOLF2 wasn't so lucky.

Can you link me to that page and/or show me where I can set up multiplayer for Nolf 1 again?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you link me to that page and/or show me where I can set up multiplayer for Nolf 1 again?

You didn't read my post.

Multiplayer is still working officially in NOLF1 - just install it, open it up and start playing. :)

You didn't read my post.

Multiplayer is still working officially in NOLF1 - just install it, open it up and start playing. :)

Wow, I used to play on them a long time ago and thought they just shut down. Guess I lost patience and never waited long enough for the servers to load again. Mind=blown. Course there's no one on right now, but it's an off time. Why on earth would they shut down Nolf 2 servers before Nolf 1?

Wow, I used to play on them a long time ago and thought they just shut down. Guess I lost patience and never waited long enough for the servers to load again. Mind=blown. Course there's no one on right now, but it's an off time. Why on earth would they shut down Nolf 2 servers before Nolf 1?

Because the game validation for NOLF2 was handled by Sierra. For NOLF 1, Gamespy

Hmm but i thought Gamespy did Contract JACK as well? Guess not?

Contract Jack was also Gamespy, unfortunately CJ was on the short side of the stick... thanks Glu Mobile for messing things up :angry03:

Thankfully we have UnityHQ hosting a server database :happy1:

• 2 months later...

@ Malautomedonte
http://unityhq.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4421

Although sometimes it may seem that no one is still around...just try joining a server and wait 10 minutes...they are coming out of nowhere! :mml:

^This is so true of Nolf1. Could not have said it better myself. =) 0 players on server tends to end up 6 within 30mins..as if, people start getting itchy trigger fingers in real life..knowing theres some fun shooting to be had! Of course the gamespy dropping Nolf1 will impact its small numbers even more.

I understand Coldowns point of view, but its not a new point of view, im sure many of us wish to spraypaint 'PLAY NOLF!' on the moon so people play these great series of games.

But to look on the positive side, there is at least a home for nolf lovers here, with a pimped up download section, and just so much Cate archer love oozeing from most every page.

We of course would not have this without Eliteone, who has put her money where her mouth is and just done it, with community help, made these forums live on.

And anytime I have messaged a member, the replys given have not been rude or no reply at all, it has been with maturity, and a love for what nolf is. That to me is worth more than having a forum full of 'lolcopters' trolling and generally being abusive.

So yes people are still active, and whats more, it is an actual community of people with a common love, that are so persistent, this still remains, even after all these years. =)

I would encourage anyone reading this who have not posted before, post away, build the community.

For such a poorly advertised, game that is far outdated, its holding up quite well.

Edited by Eliteone
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I understand Coldowns point of view, but its not a new point of view, im sure many of us wish to spraypaint 'PLAY NOLF!' on the moon so people play these great series of games.

But to look on the positive side, there is at least a home for nolf lovers here, with a pimped up download section, and just so much Cate archer love oozeing from most every page.

We of course would not have this without Eliteone, who has put her money where her mouth is and just done it, with community help, made these forums live on.

And anytime I have messaged a member, the replys given have not been rude or no reply at all, it has been with maturity, and a love for what nolf is. That to me is worth more than having a forum full of 'lolcopters' trolling and generally being abusive.

So yes people are still active, and whats more, it is an actual community of people with a common love, that are so persistent, this still remains, even after all these years. =)

I would encourage anyone reading this who have not posted before, post away, build the community.

For such a poorly advertised, game that is far outdated, its holding up quite well.

Every game never completely "dies", there's always some small cult of people willing to hack the game/make servers to keep it playable and to add value to it, or the occasional person who wants to relive their nostalgia moments. That's sort of a no brainer, but I'd say there's no more than 50 or so people here who visit on a regular basis, IF that. We certainly aren't ever all on at the same time, which doesn't help. Maybe a little more on weekends.

There used to be some other Nolf sites that apparently "shall not be named", but they all shutdown. They maybe weren't part of our community, but they were still part of a Nolf community. One of them had several good single player mods that I didn't want to see dissappear. At least we got them onto this site now.

Edited by CoLdOwN