Ripping off maps from other 3d games and bringing them to NOLF2

Ok, this is awesome, there is a tool, called 3d reaper DX...

works like this:

- you open any game that is directx 8/9 based, with the tool injected,

- place your camera in a point of view, and then press the key to record

- the game will freeze for a while, and will extract the following:

a) geometry (vertexes)

B) textures

c) shadders

after that all you have to do is open(import) the geometry into 3DMAX or Maya using the lith plugin (I have those in case anyone is interested), and delete the stuff you dont want, resize the whole geometry, and export it as a ltc/lta file to be used in DEDIT

I managed to extract levels from SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE (the opening scene), and Cargo Dock from Metal Gear Solid ,

sadly the software only works great in windows XP, and Im using windows 7, so my geometry had problems like polygons facing the wrong side, and having to correct them manually, taking ages to fix the geometry from a map!!!!

but works great

anyone would like to try it with WINDOWS XP?

i will reinstall it when i found a copy

There are also Cate Archer models that got ripped with this tool, I have some of them!!!

http://www.imageupload.org/?d=CD18F0481

this image shows Guards geometry, from Metal Gear Solid into DEDIT, and the first room of the game, Cargo Dock

in blue is the tower of the elevator to the helipad, I tried to fix the geometry manually (the geometry is all there, but Windows 7 screws it flipping the triangles to the wrong direction...theres no other way to fix than manually....)

Can some1 try rip with windows XP???

Im excited because not only we can rip whole levels and bring them as totally new content into our beloved NOLF2, as we can use models and make mods in a very small ammount of time, and bring NOLF2 to death...

I just imagined ripping models from 007 From Russia With Love and other 007 games and make new missions for Cate Archer, using her own voice lines from NOLF1 or NOLF2, and now that I got her models, we could totally make cheap animation for her and export it to DEDIT for ingame cutscenes

so some1 pls test this with windows XP!!!! I need to know if my PC is too weak to rip models or if is just a windows 7 issue with the tool

I will do it soon as I can

Cool , you can rip off from any directx 8/9 based game, and also from GCN emulators and a lot more

In the 3d reaper dx forums, its being reported that geometry gets skewed when ripping with Windows 7 64bit, sadly, my computer has that OS installed and I cannot go into the XP mode because my version is basic :(

but I do have a copy of windows XP, so I will need reinstall it and everything else to do this,

also, I couldnt inject the tool in NOLF1 or NOLF2, because the tool doesnt go on global mode when using windows 7, 64x.... only works properly on windows XP

And I was about to rip off Misfortune in Morocoo , scene 1 ,to build a new multiplayer level for NOLF2 grrrr

Cool , you can rip off from any directx 8/9 based game, and also from GCN emulators and a lot more

In the 3d reaper dx forums, its being reported that geometry gets skewed when ripping with Windows 7 64bit, sadly, my computer has that OS installed and I cannot go into the XP mode because my version is basic :(

but I do have a copy of windows XP, so I will need reinstall it and everything else to do this,

also, I couldnt inject the tool in NOLF1 or NOLF2, because the tool doesnt go on global mode when using windows 7, 64x.... only works properly on windows XP

And I was about to rip off Misfortune in Morocoo , scene 1 ,to build a new multiplayer level for NOLF2 grrrr

Hmm I'll try it first in XP mode then (I have an old laptop with XP on it still too though)

I ripped off geometry and textures from NGC emulator, it ripped a whole map from Super Mario Sunshine, including Princess Peach private airplane o.O

vertexes were all there, but some got glipped to the wrong side...

same hapenned with Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, a lot of the geometry got flipped to the wrong side, it can be fixed manually through DEDIT, but would take ages...i fixed the whole cellar and a cargo machine that is in the map, but would be the best to have all the geometry ripped correctly

Eliteone, you need to rip off and then import the files into 3DMAX or Maya, there are lith plugins for Maya (I have those)....for 3d max there are only import plugins, but the files can be saved as .obj and then exported to lithtech using Maya

In my PC, the geometry for both games had a huge size and had to be resized manually in 3dmax to a much smaller size be exported in a LITHTECH format and openned in dedit

if wasnt for the triangles flipped to the wrong side...would be so easy to make a lot of content to NOLF2 and in a small ammount of time...

***Ripped textures are saved in .DDS format, for 3d max apply them you need to use .TGA format, the same format dedit uses before convert them into .DTX, but that is irrelevant, as would be more interesting to apply textures manually

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its not too bad if you can get the layout of the map scaled atleast, correcting stuff manually isn't that much work.. Gotta take a look at this someday :D

• 6 months later...

can FEAR Maps be imported to NOLF? ( I have the World00c files ^_^ )

In theory you should be able to port them over to NOLF2. If I recall I know of at least one NOLF2 map that was ported over to FEAR.

• 4 months later...

i was using this tool awhile back but then discovered an easier method

instead of using 3dx ripper, i actually used to convert Source Engine maps and models using maya or 3ds max 7. simply opening the OBJ extracted from the source engine file, converting it, then texturing it in DEDIT

here's an example (not the best example...) this is a basic crash bandicoot themed map, just for simply runnin around shootin aimlessly... kinda stupid. i'll get a better example later

24431_4082798959447_736609391_n.jpg

it's really not hard at all. i'll bust out the tutorial when i get a chance

Edited by supercarz1991