Transferring Inside Fragments

Blammo

Hi there...

I was wondering if anyone with Dedit knowledge could explain what "Transferring Inside Fragments" means to a mapper using Dedit while processing. I'm guessing it's to do with brushes going inside others on the map and the pieces being removed during processing? I don't know though.......maybe it happens on every map processing job and i just only notice it when it hangs for a bit more than usual.

Should this be showing up on a clean built map?

Any help would be great..

thanks

Blam

p.s i have a lot of other small questions to ask but i don't want to overload on the first post :)

Hi there...

I was wondering if anyone with Dedit knowledge could explain what "Transferring Inside Fragments" means to a mapper using Dedit while processing. I'm guessing it's to do with brushes going inside others on the map and the pieces being removed during processing? I don't know though.......maybe it happens on every map processing job and i just only notice it when it hangs for a bit more than usual.

Should this be showing up on a clean built map?

Any help would be great..

thanks

Blam

p.s i have a lot of other small questions to ask but i don't want to overload on the first post :)

i never heard of the phase "Transferring Inside Fragments" before

if bushes are inside...or crossing paths with each other,(thats not good)

they dont get removed.unless you make it so..

sry...

this place got some info...not sure if it will help tho

http://www.planetavp.com/modmaker/modmaker13.html

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/shogo_editing/b50083/16719536/p1/?4

hey thanks for the quick reply and the links!

i was looking at the 2nd link and you can see where my phrase comes from...

Loading ED file for BSP.

Getting objects from the DAT file.

Merging 1162 brushes.

Creating temp brushes

Finding intersecters

Sorting intersecters

Merging intersecters

Transferring inside fragments

7383 BTW poly splits.

Num Polies: 6723. Joining polies...

3385 polies removed.

3338 polies left.

Found 0 problem brushes

Creating BSP.

Num detail nodes: 5335

Removing unseen geometry.

Number of (unseen) polies removed: 44

Recreating BSP.

Maybe I've just never paid attention to it before but i only notice it when it gets to that part of the process and is working longer instead of processing faster. Do you know what would make the fragment process last longer and does a long transfer mean anything serious to a map as long as it completes? I'm just curious if i'm doing something bad in my map making to hurt the maps ability in any way when i see the transfer process take longer.

Blam

hey thanks for the quick reply and the links!

i was looking at the 2nd link and you can see where my phrase comes from...

Loading ED file for BSP.

Getting objects from the DAT file.

Merging 1162 brushes.

Creating temp brushes

Finding intersecters

Sorting intersecters

Merging intersecters

Transferring inside fragments

7383 BTW poly splits.

Num Polies: 6723. Joining polies...

3385 polies removed.

3338 polies left.

Found 0 problem brushes

Creating BSP.

Num detail nodes: 5335

Removing unseen geometry.

Number of (unseen) polies removed: 44

Recreating BSP.

Maybe I've just never paid attention to it before but i only notice it when it gets to that part of the process and is working longer instead of processing faster. Do you know what would make the fragment process last longer and does a long transfer mean anything serious to a map as long as it completes? I'm just curious if i'm doing something bad in my map making to hurt the maps ability in any way when i see the transfer process take longer.

Blam

im wonerding if

"7383 BTW poly splits."

is like a

"2 edge poly split"

witch means its a

"NON-Planar POLY"

unlednh.png

when 1 point is not in line with another

makeing a twisted poly

they can slow down processing

if so,cut them, to make 2 triangles

and dedit`s happy again...

and yeah...

sealing the level can help

with processing time

Sgt that wasn't my Dedit readout. I just copied that from the 2nd link you gave me as an example of where i was getting the "Transferring Inside Fragments" wording from.

Thanks for the tips though.

While we're on triangles here. Does Dedit handle triangle brushes ok? Sometimes i will just create a 3 point brush when i'm building and wondered if it was ok instead of creating a square and slicing some of it off. Its easier for me to make cliff faces with triangles without slicing and i wondered if it would effect processing?

Sgt that wasn't my Dedit readout. I just copied that from the 2nd link you gave me as an example of where i was getting the "Transferring Inside Fragments" wording from.

Thanks for the tips though.

While we're on triangles here. Does Dedit handle triangle brushes ok? Sometimes i will just create a 3 point brush when i'm building and wondered if it was ok instead of creating a square and slicing some of it off. Its easier for me to make cliff faces with triangles without slicing and i wondered if it would effect processing?

i think Dedit perfers triangle brushes...

but as long as they dont make "T-junctions"

it dose`nt realy matter...

if you know how to bluid clean...then it will be fine...

this is from the documentation....

"a vertex should always meet up with another vertex or be on a corner. If it sits on an edge instead of another vertex, it creates what is called a t-junction and while the level processes, it will try to fix these on its own. It is better to build clean and avoid making the processor make the decisions on how to cut up the geometry for you. You will also get better lighting results if you build clean."