No CD? Running NOLF2 without a CD?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NO-CD "patch" is a zip file of a modified nolf2.exe so all that is needed is to download it and extract it to your root No One Lives Forever 2 folder.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

+1 to this post, the same issue

Have you created media from our downloads and installed it?

Usually it can find the registry entries that are created during install.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear..... I still have the Invalid shell DLL cshell.dll error. I remember it worked a few years back (running on Intel i3, Geforce 330 and Windows 7 64-bit). Since I got a new computer, it stopped working. New system is: i7 4790k, 970 GTX, Windows 10 64-bit).

I tried the registry file, the 1.3 patch, power-uninstall (removing all the monolith, fox and No one lives forever 2 traces from the registry file but nothing worked :/ My original NOLF2 cds are too scratched so I tried the iso (from the download page). The download was complete but when I tried to mount it-- I got a prompt that it was damaged. The original lithtech kinda works but when I use the no-cd patch - I get the invalid cshell error.

Is Nolf2 compatible with Windows 10?

• 4 weeks later...

It is compatible with Windows 10. (I'm using 64-bit Pro, a 980 GTX, and an I5-3470, for reference.)

I reinstalled it today to fix the same 'Invalid cshell.dll' errors others have gotten.

My steps were:

1) Edited the registry and deleted all of the "No One Lives Forever 2" entries. (Note: only do this is you comfortable editing your registry. Messing up your registry can completely break Windows.)

2) Installed the game. I installed from the CDs I own, but the CDs from the download should work.

3) Installed the 1.3 patch. Then ran the game (with CD 1 still in the drive) and configured my video settings.

4) Installed the Widescreen mod. Ran the game again to set my widescreen settings.

5) Installed the NOCD patch (see 'gotcha' below).

6) Installed both UnityHQ map packs (DM & DD).

7) Installed URA's multiplayer launcher.

One gotcha I had is with the NOCD patch. The patch thinks the game is at <x>:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\ when the game is actually at <x>:\Program Files (x86)\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\. Once I backed up the retail Lithtech.exe I simply moved the NOCD version to the correct folder. After that I could run the game without CD 1 being in the drive.

I'm having game crashes when I try to connect to a server, so I still need to sort that part out. I will edit this post when I have that part figured out, but at least I know I can play the base game. :)

EDIT: Ok, I have multiplayer working.

8) Installed the LivesForever mod (needed for the UnityHQ server).

9) Installed the LivesForeverPlus mod (might be needed for other servers).

10) Changed the properties for NOLF2.exe under the Compatibility tab to be "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7' and checked 'Run this program as an administrator'.

11) Changed the properties for Lithtech.exe under the Compatibility tab to be "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' and checked 'Run this program as an administrator'.

After that I was able to connect to the UnityHQ DoomsDay server, complete a map and see it switch maps successfully multiple times.

I left the compatibility modes for each .exe in steps 10 and 11 as their defaults. I did try different modes, but I would get error messages when I exited the game. (Mostly the 'did this program run right; error message.)

Two notes:

The first is if you are playing the single player campaign make sure LivesForever and LivesForeverPlus aren't active. Those mods occasionally put you in an unwinnable state in the game. Unwinnable as in you can't reload an older save and complete the part of the game that is giving you trouble.

Secondly, you might need adjust your mouse sensitive way down inside the game. My Razer DeathAdder is very touchy until I turn the game's mouse sensitivity down to zero.

Edited by FortranDragon
Added information about getting Multiplayer to work.

• 7 months later...

Trying to get NOLF2 to run on Windows 10. The non patched version ran but no sound only background music. After patching to 1.3 it won't run at all. Going to try the no CD and see if that works. Had no problems at all with NOLF Game of the Year.

Trying to get NOLF2 to run on Windows 10. The non patched version ran but no sound only background music. After patching to 1.3 it won't run at all. Going to try the no CD and see if that works. Had no problems at all with NOLF Game of the Year.

Need to run NOLF2 in compatibility mode (Windows 7) with administrative privileges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never had the chance to play these great games (only got into PC gaming until my 20's) but Kate's character seems super cool. Can anyone help me get them setup? I'm on Windows 10.

We have lots of posts on Windows 10 and these games. Search the forum and you should find the answers you seek.