No CD? Running NOLF2 without a CD?

Greetings,

A couple of years ago, I read something about running NOLF2 without a CD. I am assuming this is done with Daemon or Gizmo.

To make a long story short, my NOLF2 Disk 1 is scratched. It will still play the game, but I cannot get it to install on another machine.

Basically, I am out of luck if my HD or OS crashes, so I want to try to find a pro-active work around to this challenge.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

See you this weekend in NOLF2!

Brian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

A couple of years ago, I read something about running NOLF2 without a CD. I am assuming this is done with Daemon or Gizmo.

To make a long story short, my NOLF2 Disk 1 is scratched. It will still play the game, but I cannot get it to install on another machine.

Basically, I am out of luck if my HD or OS crashes, so I want to try to find a pro-active work around to this challenge.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

See you this weekend in NOLF2!

Brian

Everything you need to get setup can be found in the downloads section ;)

• 4 months later...

Hi E,

I setup a new Win7 x64 box today and attempted to install NOLF2. After installing NOLF2 and No CD, when I run NOLF2, it says, "Wrong Disk Insterted. Please insert the "No One Lives Forever2" CD 1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

You downloaded the NO-CD from our downloads?

It should replace your lithtech.exe file when you place it in your NOLF 2 root folder.

You downloaded the NO-CD from our downloads?

It should replace your lithtech.exe file when you place it in your NOLF 2 root folder.

the 1 i have had

"lithtech.exe" and the "nolf2.exe "

2 files to replace...after that

check the livesforever mod

make sure its loaded,

During installation, should it ask for CD #2, like it does when you install it from CD?

It would if installing. If you downloaded from here then you'd point the request to the second unzipped folder.

• 3 weeks later...

It would if installing. If you downloaded from here then you'd point the request to the second unzipped folder.

Im having the same issue here I open the setup from the first folder install to 39% then it asks for disc 2 but when I browse it wont see the zip file to install from disc 2 is there something I am missing here?.......

Edited by QBert

Im having the same issue here I open the setup from the first folder install to 39% then it asks for disc 2 but when I browse it wont see the zip file to install from disc 2 is there something I am missing here?.......

figured that part out. now I have downloaded the no cd as well put it in the right place now i am getting this error invalid shell cshell.dll.

figured that part out. now I have downloaded the no cd as well put it in the right place now i am getting this error invalid shell cshell.dll.

figured everything out now just waiting on the map packs so i can join in :)

figured everything out now just waiting on the map packs so i can join in :)

Good to hear QBert!

We typically gather at 11:00am PST which is 2:00pm EST.

Due to work, I typically play only on weekends, but sometimes I get to pop in during the week.

• 4 months later...

I have come across this problem too, what was the fix you found for it?

Which error are you getting specifically?

• 1 month later...

I am getting the error invalid shell cshell.dll. as well. I have searched for an answer to no avail.

I installed the game from the hard drive.

Installed the 1.3 patch

Put the nocd file into the root of NOLF2 and run it from there.

I ran the game the usual way.

I hit play.

It gives me the choice of high, medium, low play.

I chose high.

Then I just get error invalid shell cshell.dll.

Running xp pro sp3

Any suggestions?

Edited by LagMonkey

The CShell.dll is usually a direct X error. What version of direct x are you currently running?

The cshell.dll error can also mean that lithtech.exe and the game aren't the same version. Verify that the patch installed by checking to see if Update_v1x3.rez exists (in nolf2's root directory) and if it does, check in launchcmds.txt for -rez Update_v1x3.rez.

No Update_v1x3.rez

No -rez Update_v1x3.rez

Not sure why the patch is not taking. I run it, it says installing, then finished with no change.

it's the NOLF2-Update_1x3.exe

Update:

I uninstalled the game and the install files from my drive.

Grabbed the 2 install files, the patch and the no cd from this site.

Installed from the hard drive, installed patch, same thing. The patch isnt updating.

I do know that if I run the patch from the desktop, it says No one Lives forever 2 not installed.

If I put it in the root of where the game is installed (it's default location) it runs, says its installing, pops up the window with the 0% done, then goes to the finish window but never installs

Edited by LagMonkey

Visit the 1.3 Retail Patch download again (I added a possible fix file for you)

1.3 Retail Patch 1.3

Thanx for the try on the possible fix Elite.

Still a no go, giving the Invalid shell.dll cshell.dll still.

Contents of the launchcmds.txt after applying the fix and putting the file into the root of the game.

-windowtitle "No One Lives Forever 2" -rez GAME.rez -rez sound.rez -rez GAME2.rez -rez GAMEdll.rez -rez Sound.rez -rez GAMEl.rez -rez custom -rez GAMEp.rez -rez GAMEp2.rez +multiplayer 0 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableTripBuf 0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0 +DisableHardwareSound 0 +DisableSoundFilters 0 +SetPerformanceLevel .DefaultLow +ScreenWidth 1024 +ScreenHeight 768 +BitDepth 32

I got it working and here's what I had to do.

I added the registry file

Put the Update_v1x3.rez into the root of NOLF2

Then I had to put the actual patch download into the root dir and run it from there.

It went through the patch fully.

Rebooted

Then the game worked.

This was after I removed every registry entry for NOLF2 and re-installed the game from scratch for the 7th time lol.

Thank you all kindly for giving me some sort of direction and Ty Eliteone for taking the time to help me work this through. Have a Beer(insert beer emote)on me.

Edited by LagMonkey