NOLF2, Windows 7 x64

It's never fun making your first post in a forum one requesting technical support, but alas, I've tried just about everything.

After accidentally re-discovering the NOLF:GOTY soundtrack that somehow found its way on my iPod, I decided to re-play the original game. I installed it and it ran flawlessly, didn't require any sort of compatibility settings or anything. Finishing that, I naturally wanted to move on to NOLF2.

When I first tried to play NOLF2, it would get to the loading screen and hang. Patching it to 1.3 fixed this, and I managed to play through the first area (Japan) without any trouble if I recall. It was when I got to the next area, Sibera, that I began to have trouble with the game after loading a save, usually when following death. Objects would show up either as invisible or with corrupt textures, and often flicking a light switch would result in a crash with "Client MFC Application has stopped working". Sometimes massive colors and polygons would appear from nowhere.

So basically, the game seems to work 100% fine until I'm forced to load, or especially when I get to the inner yard/records building, whenever I change levels. Sound works flawlessly (seems to be the main issue on Win7/Vista from my searches). It seems like a graphics problem to me, and I can't seem to find any fix.

What I've tried so far, after extensive searching:

*Unistalling and reinstalling the game (tried this three times)

*Setting compatibility modes (Windows 2000, XP, and Vista allow the game to run but do not address the issue. Windows 95/98/Me modes don't work at all)

*Using the NO-CD Patch (Someone reported this fixed the problem or lowered its frequency, I was skeptical but desperate)

*Using the LiveForever mod (again, someone reported that this reduced the problem)

*Disabling visual themes & desktop composition (seems to reduce the issue on earlier levels but I could be imagining that)

*Updating graphics drivers

If anyone has any experience with this issue or a potential solution I would be eternally grateful! This is a game I would love to play unhampered, but so far I've been sort of forcing my way through dozens of crashes. I managed to the point where you must recover information from the M-9 machine, but when I attempt to use it it does not prompt me for what action I want to perform (use code/type random letters), instead the text goes gray and I'm left completely stuck. I've tried loading earlier saves but no avail.

EDIT: Whoops, some hardware specs might help:

Windows 7 64-Bit

4GB of Memory

Intel Core2 Quad

nVidia 8800 GTS

Edited by Airslide
  • reaction_title_5 1

Hello Airslide and welcome to the UnityHQ forums!

Your problems seem to be more difficult, than the "normal compatibility problems" !

Some questions:

1.) On which file(s) have you already set the compatibility mode?

2.) Have you already tried to change the grafic settings within the game?

3.) Have you changed some settings (grafic etc.) within the control center of your Nvidia software?

4.) I hardly think that this will help, but try to turn of the so called "User Account Control" and try it again!

I hope we can fix yours prolems!

Have a nice day! :)

I set the compatibility modes on both the launcher and LithTech.exe. On your reccomendation I tried adjusting the graphics settings for both the game and in the nVidia control panel, trying both the highest and lowest settings, but no luck. I also tried turning off User Account Control but it did not seem to help at all either.

I even tried downloading a set of nVidia's beta drivers hoping that one of the "numerous bug fixes" would help out my problem, but no such luck.

Thanks for the help though! Good to see this game is still alive. I hope I can get this thing working, I'll keep tinkering I guess.

Hello Airslide,

I set the compatibility modes on both the launcher and LithTech.exe.

Set the compatibility mode "Windows XP with SP3" on "NOLF2.exe" and on "Lithech.exe" and, in addition to this, also set "Run as Admin"!

On your reccomendation I tried adjusting the graphics settings for both the game and in the nVidia control panel, trying both the highest and lowest settings, but no luck.

Ok, try to set the options in the "nVidia control center" to "Default" ("Normal" or whatever it is called)!

I also tried turning off User Account Control but it did not seem to help at all either.

OK, it was a try worth! :P

Thanks for the help though! Good to see this game is still alive. I hope I can get this thing working, I'll keep tinkering I guess.

No problem! I help where I can, but please excuse my bad english! ^_^

Default settings on the nVidia control panel didn't help either. And I tested those compatability settings earlier without any success.

About an hour ago I unistalled it, re-installed DirectX and then re-installed from the disc without telling the installer to install DirectX 8.1. I *didn't* set any compatibility settings and installed the 1.3 patch from this website (just in case the download I had from somewhere else was somehow damaged/flawed/modified). So far I managed to play through Japan without incident (although I did get what looks like a stray polygon at one point, I took a screenshot: http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5952/nolf2.jpg - it only appeared in a certain area). I've had no trouble in Sibera yet but I've only gotten so far as placing explosives on the bridge. I'll keep playing, hopefully I won't run into the problem again.

Funny I get the same problem (as on your screenshot) on one of my custom maps, just reloading it helps (restarting the game most of the time). I'll post something if I ever know what's causing it and fix it, doesn't happen all the time.

My specs: Win64/7, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, 4GB, GeForce 260GTX OC maxcore55, on board sound (realtek).

I run Win7 64bit too and completely uninstalled after the first time installing (including cleaning the registry) then reinstalled.

I did this: Disabled visual themes & desktop composition

and haven't had really any problems since. Occasionally I have to start it a couple of times to get into the server but I've had that issue since I've had the game back on Windows 2000 Pro (lol)

Welcome to the forum Airslide B)

Hi

"I managed to the point where you must recover information from the M-9 machine, but when I attempt to use it it does not prompt me for what action I want to perform (use code/type random letters), instead the text goes gray and I'm left completely stuck. I've tried loading earlier saves but no avail."

If you want pass this, dont use livesforever mod. no mod or other mod help this problem.

"forcing my way through dozens of crashes."

Run prime 95 atleast 3 hour , i have earlier same problem, game crash when loading and when join to server. Now have 3 hour prime 95 blend stable machine and nolf2 crashes very rare.

solution is my case to increase memory voltages 0.1 V

Run prime 95 atleast 3 hour , i have earlier same problem, game crash when loading and when join to server. Now have 3 hour prime 95 blend stable machine and nolf2 crashes very rare.

I'll look into that, although I think I may have come up with a solution. The issue seems to go away if, when graphical glitches occur, I alt-tab out. This makes me pretty confident that it is an issue that is either due to DirectX, my gfx drivers or my graphics card itself. Alt-tabbing causes it to lose the 3D device and by coming back it has to re-load everything. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it's working so far! :D

You need the 3D Analyze program version 1.5 to resolve some Nolf 2 graphic incompatibilities. Set PRE-EXE file as NOLF2.exe and the main program as LithTech.exe. Then select the option Force SW TnL and also activated all emulations displayed on the right. Finally, disable the visual themes in the compatibility settings. Now you should be able to play! Edited by Adrian

Ah no visual theme, that's something I need to try.

Never heard of 3D Analyze, might check it out later.

As for single player, yup, don't use the mod, the saves are incompatible really.

Or always use it, either way, stick to one so that saves are good.

• 5 weeks later...

Make sure you right click the Nolf2.exe icon a choose the "run as administrator". Then click the "custom" button and check off the "LivesForever" box. If you don't check off the "LivesForever" box in admin mode, Nolf won't start.

I will also checkout 3DAnalyze. I see Adrian mentioned using version 1.5. The most recent version is 2.34. Any reason to use the older version?

Edited by Lodingi

• 1 year later...

I have two Nolf and use windows 7 64bit

I finished playing the part of the Siberian

After that the game will not start

I uninstalled and installed the game again

not bad start when I click play

writing error appears mgr interface

T & L.

The first time I installed Nolf 2 did not show error

the game started normally.

Help me !!

I have two Nolf and use windows 7 64bit

I finished playing the part of the Siberian

After that the game will not start

I uninstalled and installed the game again

not bad start when I click play

writing error appears mgr interface

T & L.

The first time I installed Nolf 2 did not show error

the game started normally.

Help me !!

What type of video card setup do you have?