How to play NOLF 2 Multiplayer now that the master server is shutdown

Some of you may have noticed that you're unable to play multiplayer Nolf 2 since Monday Nov 3rd 2008. Sierra has shutdown the master server for the game.

Don't despair though cause we have a resilient community and we've come up with a workaround so you can continue to play NOLF2 multiplayer.

If anyone is confused at all, here is some less technical guidance.

-You are going to download and install the mod.

-You are going to set your game to always start with that mod.

-You are going to be able to join the SFI UHQ servers with a double-click of your mouse.

1. Download and install the LivesForever mod. Download it from Here

---- a. Create a folder C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\Custom\Mods\LivesForever (Spelling is important so name it exactly like this LivesForever )

Modsfolder.jpg

---- b. Extract the contents (using Winrar or other file extraction utility) of LivesForever.RAR download, when extracted you should have the LivesForever.rez file in the LiveForever folder.

---- c. Yes, you really do have to make that folder.

2. Start NOLF2 like you used to, and select the new mod.

---- a. Instead of the "Play" button, hit "custom," which is right below it.

nolf2modload.jpg

---- b. Check the box next to the "LivesForever" Mod.

---- c. Start the game.

---- d. Close the game. Now the you have selected the mod, it will stay selected until you restart the game and deliberately unselect it.

joinbyIPtool.jpg

3. Start the JoinByIP Tool.

Edited by Eliteone

:( HEEELP!!! :o

Can anyone help a Mac-NOLF2-Player here????

I wanted to follow the instructions on how to play NOLF since the server shut down. But I have the creepy feeling that there is no way for a Mac user like me.

For example: I downloaded that LivesForever.rez mod file and put it into a folder like prescribed. But there is no "custom" button below the "play" button. So how can I chose the LivesForever mod???

I´m in despair! :blink:

Hugo

(how can I put a screenshot here to make myself understandable?)

Edited by Hugo

:( HEEELP!!! :o

Can anyone help a Mac-NOLF2-Player here????

I wanted to follow the instructions on how to play NOLF since the server shut down. But I have the creepy feeling that there is no way for a Mac user like me.

For example: I downloaded that LivesForever.rez mod file and put it into a folder like prescribed. But there is no "custom" button below the "play" button. So how can I chose the LivesForever mod???

I´m in despair! :blink:

Hugo

(how can I put a screenshot here to make myself understandable?)

Does your Mac version have a launchcmds.txt file in the NOLF 2 folder?

Does your Mac version have a launchcmds.txt file in the NOLF 2 folder?

Hi Eliteone,

YES, there is a launchcmds.txt file in the data folder which is in the NOLF2 application folder....

Edited by Hugo

Hi Eliteone,

YES, there is a launchcmds.txt file in the data folder which is in the NOLF2 application folder....

Try adding -mod LivesForever to the launchcmds.txt file

You could try the Nolf Mac Mod-Handler as well since Mac Nolf2 never

came with the ability to load custom files (at least not any easy

way to load them)

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=10088

Your mileage may vary though. Custom maps and such will load

fine on a Mac, but mods containing compiled binaries or libraries

won't as they aren't compatible with OS X.

Thank you EliteOne. So I changed the file to "launchcmds-mod LivesForever.txt". But it didn´t work.

Thanx Contract Jill. I do have the mod handler and it worked fine, I was able to enter some of the custom maps (not all).

And thanx Sasser. I dont know what a batch file is and how to use it. Probably there is no solution for me...?

:huh:

ISNT THERE ANOTHER MAC-NOLFER OUT THERE BESIDES ME? AM I THE ONLY ONE ??? Buhuhuuuuuh...!

• 3 weeks later...

I just get loads of errors all the time, if it isn't something wrong with the cd-key (which worked fine before) it says that there some problem retrieving the latest version information :<

I thought I'd let people know that I was having trouble with the 'Invalid CD Key' error even though I had downloaded and installed and clicked on everything correctly. It turns out that having anything in my resources folder (where the custom maps go) other than the big map packs was the problem. I removed everything except for the packs and I no longer had the error message. I put one little map in the folder and back to the error. It makes no sense to me, but I figured I'd mention it in case anyone else was having the same problem. :blink:

Hi all,

Join-by-IP works fine on our XP-PC but it doesnt work on the Vista-PC :blink:

We did everything the same way but no succes.

When we startup NOLF2 via Join-by-IP it gives the 'Invalid-CD-Key'-message and screen says Retail-version instead of LIvesForever.

Are there any suggestions of what to do?

There is only 1 map-rez in resources-map and 7 mods in mods-map.

Hi Linda... you need to activate the LivesForever mod first.

Start the NOLF2 launcher (not JoinByIP tool but NOLF2.exe), click custom, activate LivesForever mod, click OK then click Play.

Now the screen should say LivesForever... exit the game and now you are ready to use the JoinByIP tool!

Good luck :]

Hi Linda... you need to activate the LivesForever mod first.

Start the NOLF2 launcher (not JoinByIP tool but NOLF2.exe), click custom, activate LivesForever mod, click OK then click Play.

Now the screen should say LivesForever... exit the game and now you are ready to use the JoinByIP tool!

Good luck :]

Hi Sasser :) ,

I did activate the Livesforevermod and the screen did say Livesforever, but when I use join-by-ip-tool I get message invalid CD-key and screen says Retail :(

I checked and double-checked everything but no luck..

Hi Sasser :) ,

I did activate the Livesforevermod and the screen did say Livesforever, but when I use join-by-ip-tool I get message invalid CD-key and screen says Retail :(

I checked and double-checked everything but no luck..

Did you check the Livesforever mod in the custom button per the instructions. Also check the number of custom maps etc you have in your custom folder.

Have you tried to join with batch files yet? Do you have the same problem with them?

I have no idea how to do that :blush:

E1: There is only 1 .rez in customfolder and I checked the mod per the instructions

I have no idea how to do that :blush:

Open Notepad type in:

NOLF2.exe -GOMULTIJOIN 1 +join 70.86.157.250:27888

(this is for joining the SFI DM server)

save it as e.g. sfi_dm.bat in your NOLF2 folder then double click on the .bat file you just saved.

Now NOLF2 should start and try to join the DM server..

I tried the .bat-file but NOLF didnt start :(

Also made the Lithech.exe XP-compatible, but also no luck :(

I have another weird problem: I deleted the exp.fix from custom-folder, but it is still shown in CUSTOM when I start-up NOLF

I think Im gonna re-install NOLF and try it again..

Thanks for trying to help me B)

I've had some people tell me the amount of custom maps they have installed has caused issues with this too.

• 3 weeks later...

livesforevermod2avm3.jpg

WinRar must be used to extract LivesForever.rez from the LivesForever.rar mod.

http://www.rarlab.com/

It is the .REZ file that is placed in the Mods/LivesForever folder.

This may be why so many Nolfers are not finding MultiPlayer.

Eliteone plz modify the Multiplayer instructions! :P

Edited by Old Salt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines Privacy Policy.