Nosnap

CoachJason

From a processing/rendering perspective, what is nosnap? I know how to build the nosnap way, but I just don't know what the term actually refers to.

My going theory is that it refers to vertices. If you process a world with nosnap, the compiler doesn't try to weld every vertex to another vertex, and simply uses the outer shell to seal everything. Is this correct?

No Snap is bacially where you build your map out of one sided brushes, and not the default 6 sided ones. It can help reduce lag, and make the file size smaller, but if you do not use it right, you can destroy a map. Heres a link for a little bit more abotu No-Snap, its for NOLF 1, but the same still applies for NOLF 2.

No Snap

No Snap is bacially where you build your map out of one sided brushes...

Thanks for that Spyder, but just to explain again, I know what nosnap building is. What I was wondering, purely out of curiosity, is what the compiler does differently when it is processing a world with -nosnapnocsg.

I've read every tutorial which mentions nosnap and none of them actually explain that, they all simply tell you how to build the one-sided way without explaining how the compiler treats these brushes, and thus why it is a better way of building.

• 2 weeks later...
From a processing/rendering perspective, what is nosnap? I know how to build the nosnap way, but I just don't know what the term actually refers to.

My going theory is that it refers to vertices. If you process a world with nosnap, the compiler doesn't try to weld every vertex to another vertex, and simply uses the outer shell to seal everything. Is this correct?

2927[/snapback]

Yea, thats about it. and not to remove ("S"ubtract) any "G"eometry that won't be seen by player (CSG).

You're doing that yourself.

Yea, thats about it. and not to remove ("S"ubtract) any "G"eometry that won't be seen by player (CSG).

You're doing that yourself.

3976[/snapback]

Super, that helps a lot. Knowing how to do something without the why drives me insane, and ultimately leads to the Nuremburg defence.

• 1 month later...