NOLF2 not running on Win 10?

Hi all, this has been bugging me for ages as I'm having similar problems running any Lith Tech engined game on win 10 including the original NOLF (including AVP2, yes I know I'm showing my age now!)

Basically it's installed, and patched, and no-cd from here applied (at least i think it is as i click install and it just disappears). But my main problem is that it comes with an error that says it's related to direct x 8.1 and that it won't render as it can't detect the necessary files for my card. Kinda at a loss other than pulling the xp rig down and playing it on that again.

anyway my spec if it helps is:

i7 @ 4.0Ghz

16gb ram

16gb GeForce 1070

Win 10 (obviously)

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Tried that, it said it didn't need to install or update direct x. Kinda confused by all this as I love the series, but think that the xp rig is going to be used for playing it again sadly. Just seem to be having problems with anything that is LithTech powered game wise.

Edited by MarcoC84

Can you do a event log dump from Windows about the crash and post it?

I run the game on Windows 10 Pro with a Geoforce 1060 just fine.

this is the first error I get with it.

df701e9e8c.jpg

Click ok, then continues on with black screen till I get this one

df7041d402.jpg

Click ok then it just shuts itself down, tried to look in the events log under applications and there's nothing there as the program hasn't crashed back to the desktop.

Can you confirm what version of Direct X you have installed? Also under Device manager please post a screenshot of your display adapters.

f4cc90f1be.jpg

That's the screenshot of device manager, only the 1070 there, it's up to date driver wise as well, as for direct x, running 12. using Direct X extension viewer, it shows I've direct 3d 11 & 12. Could this be the problem or is it because it's the home version of win 10?

f4d230be37.jpg

Your 1070 should support the T&L hardware as my 1060 card does just fine. I did however run the Direct X runtimes from Microsoft. Might see if you can run them from the NOLF2 media you have to get the older direct X

Does the system have any onboard video that it might detect due to it being enabled in the BIOS?

I'll try uninstalling the current direct x and install 8/8.1 that comes with nolf/nolf2 and see if that remedies the problem.

Had a look in the bios as well, nothing seems to be enabled so I can't see any problems there otherwise it would show up on the device manager surely?

I'll try uninstalling the current direct x and install 8/8.1 that comes with nolf/nolf2 and see if that remedies the problem.

Had a look in the bios as well, nothing seems to be enabled so I can't see any problems there otherwise it would show up on the device manager surely?

I assume you tried running it in compatibility mode?

yeah, ran in xp, win 98/me, still get the same error every time, ran fine on my old xp rig, so might just resort back to using that again, as it's much easier in all honesty. ONly wanted it on the new rig so I can create mods again.

Weird. I just had a hard drive crash that took out most of my games. After getting a new drive and reinstalling everything is running for me.

My specs are:

I7-6700K @ 4.00GHz

16GB RAM

Geforce GTX 980

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

I'm wondering if it is the difference between the 16gb GeForce 1070 you have and the 4gb Geforce 980 I have? If I remember correctly, DX9 games were limited to 4GB VRAM (video RAM), so it would be plausible that DX8.1 wouldn't work with larger than 4GB VRAM cards. This is just speculation, though. All I can suggest is trying an nvidia card that has 4GB or less of VRAM. If it runs then you know it is some sort of issue with your card. (Which would suck since we're all going to be using cards like that eventually. :/)