Setup

Guest Doffy90

Guest Doffy90

i went to the Winky's tutorial site but the page on how to setup DEdit is not working :S

i can ever start making a map without knowing how to set it up

anyone?

I seem to recall there being a few other tutorials out there but I don't remember where. Anyone?

Mapping. *shudder* I tried following the awesome Wiky's tutorial, but it wasn't written for totally clueless morons like me so I quickly got lost and relied on Spawn to help me. When he wasn't around, I frequently got frustrated to the point of banging my head on the table and decided it's not worth the headache. All my mapping dreams will have to stay dreams. I'm an artist, not a mapper. laugh.gif

Good luck with it, Doffy.

Ok first Open up DEdit

Then hit File > Open Project or Open World, I forget which one.

Go to My Computer > Local Disk > Programs and Files > Fox > No One Lives Forever 2 > Game > TO3.Dep ( Maybe it was TO2.Dep, Im not sure tongue.gif )

That will load all of your Prefabs, textures, all that junk.

Well since you told me on MSN the options here they are.

The Run Tab should have the following setting.

Executable

C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\NOLF2.exe

Working Directory

C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\GAME

Program Arguements

-rez engine.rez -rez Game +runworld "%WorldName%"

( Please note the WorldName part, you DONT put your worlds name.

Run is really the only one you need to double check. The other ones have default settings right.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I just got DEdit for NOLF2 today so I can make my first custom map "KNIX's Raceway" and I've watched the NOLF1 DEdit tutorial vids from The site that shall not be named. Useful as they are, they don't help me for this version very much.

I tried looking for the file in the game directory to load the prefabs and stuff but I couldn't find it and I can't seem to do much without it. I do vaguely remember seeing something about unpacking something in the installation that said it takes about 2 friggin Gigs to unpack. Do I have to do that before it works, or is there something else that I'm doing wrong? I have no clue how to use the program really for the exception of moving around the blank grid...which I find as a huge accomplishment thus far but still a long journey to getting my first object/brush on the grid.

:happy1:

Scratch that last one; I got the textures and such to load by unpacking the file. I'm having trouble of course figuring out what the next step is to do. So far all I have is a block of a snowy road I guess. It's going to be fun turning it into a racetrack.

Here's a pic of what I've done so far. How difficult is it to make the road curve? I don't want blocky 90 degree angles.

deditmapjd5.png

Well that's a major accomplishment for today, time to go to bed! :happy1:

Hey Triggerhappy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dediting ;)

A tutorial/help file also came with the NOLF2 tools, so it is definitely worth a look as well. These sites also have some great tutorials:

http://www.spawnsite.net/

http://www.spydave.net/

http://www.nicepurchase.com/nolf/dedit.htm

Here is a link from BahamutZero who wrote a nice terrain tutorial. It will apply to your question because it will show you how to create a single sided brush made up of right angle triangles. In turn you can then manipulate the vertices to create your curved path

http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...p?showtopic=102

Good luck :thumb:

JLAR

Hey Triggerhappy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dediting ;)

A tutorial/help file also came with the NOLF2 tools, so it is definitely worth a look as well. These sites also have some great tutorials:

http://www.spawnsite.net/

http://www.spydave.net/

http://www.nicepurchase.com/nolf/dedit.htm

Here is a link from BahamutZero who wrote a nice terrain tutorial. It will apply to your question because it will show you how to create a single sided brush made up of right angle triangles. In turn you can then manipulate the vertices to create your curved path

http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...p?showtopic=102

Good luck :thumb:

JLAR

Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate your help, I'll take a look right away.

Hey, I've learned quite a little bit just in the last week or so. Still have lots of obstacles I can't quite get the hang of yet like the sky and also I'm trying to make a snowmobile ramp that will launch the snowmobile forward over the cliff when it approaches like in SP...but I don't have a clue how to do that yet.

Some more pics here to show what I've got so far, but most of the time I've spent on a test map just messin' around with shapes and stuff.

knixsdeditmh7.png

Obviously still a lot to do yet.

sraceyr0.png

I'd say for my first map it's coming along well, but I'm only about 1/4 of the way done. Once I get to the middle I want to copy one half and make a mirror on the other side to make it symmetric and the distance to the middle the same. Anyone know how to do these things?

I don't remember buying a raceway (writes note to call accountant).

Things I want on my raceway located in Topeka Kansas, home of the world's largest ball of yarn.

1) Ramps

2) AI to fire at people and be run over accordingly

3) Rabbits for road Kill

4) have Neo help you convert the snowmobiles into AMC Gremlins or Pacers

amc_gremlin.jpg

141054877_d4256e08ec.jpg

Edited by [FF5]Knix

World's largest ball of yarn? Actually that's not in Topeka, but I only know that because I looked it up. :lol: Check on the ramps. There's only gonna be two of em, but they're big ramps. Negative on the AI. Phantizen tried that on Midnight Massacre and...well...it ended up being a massacre of a good map, so I won't put them in. Rabbits? I'll see what I can do, but no guarantees because I'm not sure how to do that yet. I'll get back to you on that, but I'll try to add it in. :) Gremlins or Pacers? LOL well I would ask Neo but I already know that it requires making some sort of mod first and I'm only planning on making the map. If Neo wants to make a mod for that I'd be more than happy to help...although at this point I'd be more nuisance than help. :blush:

OH, and I have some updated pics as well as some updated questions.

deditksret3.png

Now below I've got some water...how does one make it look real (how do you add the moving waves texture to the top of the brush?)

knixrca6.png

Here's where I'm really having difficulty at the moment.

deditgravef1.png

I'm trying to add the gravity brush so that it will launch the snowmobiles across the canyon. So far I either get it set to where it doesn't through it far enough or it throws it too hard and kills me once I land on the other side. I know I must have a setting somewhere wrong or maybe the brushes need to be shaped differently, but so far I've got a ramp that sometimes hurts you and sometimes doesn't...

Thank you very much, it did help!!! Now that I've got the ramp endings out of the way, I need to make a spiral down slanted ramp but I'm struggling tremendously because I can't seem to draw it on DEdit. I don't know what has to be done exactly, but hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

It's rough and it's tough, but it's getting there. Good thing I planned on this map being low detail, because it is in textures and shapes. What it lacks in those aspects it makes up for in uniqueness unlike any other custom map I've seen yet. As usual, I have some updated pics of what I have so far.

knixdqy9.png

Basically the terrain is finished to half way where it's just copy and paste as well as some property changing involved to finish, but still some other things left to add before it's close to being ready for community testing.

baseop5.png

...And....

rampbi9.png

That's it for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhhh, I'm soooo close to completely finishing my map, but now I have another problem. I can't seem to get the .dtx file for my map loading screen to compress right. I followed the Wiky tutorial through word for word multiple times and still it does not work.

I renamed the game snapshot to match the .dat and the .cfg file names, and when importing the .tga (resized to 256x256) to DEdit, I go ahead and open texture properties, change from 32-bit to DTX (8-bit compression) and click ok, then I export the file as an 8-bit DTX and when I save as, the file size always turns out 85.1MB no matter what. I know that the file size if compressed correctly is supposed to be 42.6MB, as all other .dtx files on other custom maps are. I didn't even start having trouble until after I already made a correct compression file b/c I already have one .dtx file for my map that actually works. Problem was when I made an updated snapshot for my final version and put a frame in it and all that good stuff following the exact steps through all the way, I keep getting 85.1MB sized .dtx files. These files when rezzed won't appear on the loading screen at all, and I'm desperate for an explanation for this problem. BTW, now I can't get any .dtx file in DEdit to compress (even in the same resolution size 256x256) correctly, not just the new updated one I'm trying to compress.

I beg someone, please help!!! :c-1:

Ahhhh, I'm soooo close to completely finishing my map, but now I have another problem. I can't seem to get the .dtx file for my map loading screen to compress right. I followed the Wiky tutorial through word for word multiple times and still it does not work.

I renamed the game snapshot to match the .dat and the .cfg file names, and when importing the .tga (resized to 256x256) to DEdit, I go ahead and open texture properties, change from 32-bit to DTX (8-bit compression) and click ok, then I export the file as an 8-bit DTX and when I save as, the file size always turns out 85.1MB no matter what. I know that the file size if compressed correctly is supposed to be 42.6MB, as all other .dtx files on other custom maps are. I didn't even start having trouble until after I already made a correct compression file b/c I already have one .dtx file for my map that actually works. Problem was when I made an updated snapshot for my final version and put a frame in it and all that good stuff following the exact steps through all the way, I keep getting 85.1MB sized .dtx files. These files when rezzed won't appear on the loading screen at all, and I'm desperate for an explanation for this problem. BTW, now I can't get any .dtx file in DEdit to compress (even in the same resolution size 256x256) correctly, not just the new updated one I'm trying to compress.

I beg someone, please help!!! :c-1:

Oh, and being the "Jeanius" that I am :D , I just realized that the current file sizes (85.1MB) are twice as big as the desired file size (42.6MB)...sooo...yeeaahhhh. I'm waaay too tired at the moment to ponder the possibilities of the causes. Maybe after some rest.... :bye:

Edited by Triggerhappy

• 1 month later...

Grats on working with dedit, it's a lot of fun but also an incredible challenge. My hats off to anyone who's built something with it.

Hey Bella, dont give up! I'm an artist too, once you get over the intial 'how to's' it becomes less techinical and more artistic. Plus you have great mappers out there that are still alive in the community that can help. Spawn is on all the time, and now i'm back on msn.

Trigger, Map is looking good my friend! Let me know if the loading pic is still bugging you. I used to use PSP to fix my loading screen pics. it had to be the right size. look in the orignal documentation and follow that word for word.

Spawn keeps trying to get me into Dedit but I'm being very stubborn about it, despite having maps already laid out in my mind. I just don't feel like thinking too hard. Besides, you so don't want me bothering you for help. Right now you probably don't think I'm a total moron, that would change after I asked a few thousand questions. :P

Trigger, I keep forgetting to PM you, so I'll tell you here. Spawn mentioned that one reason we might be having trouble hosting your map could have something to do with yours being a German version. I don't know all the technical details, so go ahead and chat with him about it. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, you're right Neo, she should start mapping, same goes to Canada :P

Btw,

This is the error:

then I export the file as an 8-bit DTX

don't export it, that's where it gets messed up.. just copy the texture you imported into the rez instead :)