No one lives forever (extended) Widescreen Patch

Since Im stuck at some menu positioning issues on the Nolf2 widescreen patch, I decided to make an extended patch for Nolf aswell.

Here is Version 1:

Features:
-Pick supported widescreen resolutions in the display menu, the 16 Bit modes have been removed.
-Set horizontal FOV through command line. The vertical FOV is calculated automatically
-The splashscreen and menu backgrounds are no longer stretched.

Installation:
1. Put the "WidescreenPatch.rez" file in your NOLF directory.
2. Run the launcher, click on "Advanced".
3. Put this into the commandline field: „-rez "WidescreenPatch.rez"„ (without the outer quotes).
4. Make sure "always pass these command-line parameters" is checked.
5. The default horizontal FOV is 90, if you want to change that, add „++fovX "value"„ to the end of the
command line (once again without the outer quotes).
3. Start the game, go to display and select the desired resolution.
Enjoy the game!

Known Problems:
-The first person weapons remain stretched. The scaling is apparently done by the engine and contrary to Nolf2
there is no console command to set the aspect.

Download from Mediafire

In the future I will try to make the hud elements and menus scale with the resolution but im not sure if I will be successfull because the menus are set up much more primitively than in Nolf 2.

Edited by Wobak

Since Im stuck at some menu positioning issues on the Nolf2 widescreen patch, I decided to make an extended patch for Nolf aswell.

Here is Version 1:

Features:

-Pick supported widescreen resolutions in the display menu, the 16 Bit modes have been removed.

-Set horizontal FOV through command line. The vertical FOV is calculated automatically

Installation:

3. Put this into the commandline field: „-rez "WidescreenPatch.rez"„ (without the outer quotes).

5. The default horizontal FOV is 90, if you want to change that, add „++fovX "value"„ to the end of the

Enjoy the game!

Known Problems:

-The first person weapons remain stretched. The scaling is apparently done by the engine and contrary to Nolf2

there is no console command to set the aspect.

Download from Mediafire

In the future I will try to make the hud elements and menus scale with the resolution but im not sure if I will be successfull because the menus are set up much more primitively than in Nolf 2.

Nice. I'll get it added to the downloads here as well later today.

Yes, im not sure if ill be able to get rid of that. game of the year is version 1.004 but they only released the sourcecode for 1.003.. Ill try to change the version number but im not sure if that will be enough :(

edit: there seems to be some kind of double check. i managed to get rid of the "wrong version" message when hosting a server by changing the version number but now the game siplay gets disconnected without any specific error.

on another note: i always wondered why people had no shadows even though they were enabled in the options. i found a bug that caused the shadows to be disabled whenever the game started and got rif of that :D

Edited by Wobak

"In the future I will try to make the hud elements and menus scale with the resolution but im not sure if I will be successfull because the menus are set up much more primitively than in Nolf 2."

After looking at how the game looks with the mod I say don't prioritze your efforts on those things. The menu and the hud never scaled with the resolution so I think no one is bothered by this. Instead the best solution I can think of would be a slider or an option for increasing the size of the menu and the elements, but personally I think the hud looks fine as it is on my 24" monitor even in 1080p.

What really bothers me are the stretched weapon models, they look horribly out of place. I have no idea how hard could it be to fix that but it would be a wonderful thing.

fixing the firstperson would require hacking the exe. i have never done anything like that and have now idea how it would work. if you someone is able to do that, i would be happy to include it in the patch....

fixing the firstperson would require hacking the exe. i have never done anything like that and have now idea how it would work. if you someone is able to do that, i would be happy to include it in the patch....

It's a shame really. I got excited when I saw that we have a good widescreen mod now. :( I'd help if I could but I know nothing about editing an exe. I'd imagine there's a "weaponaspect" setting or something like that in there a hex editor could find somehow but it can be a lot trickier and basically the only hex editing I've done was to change resolutions in some older games. The only other solution that comes to mind could be a separate weapon mod that has weapon models fit for 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios with the stretching considered but of course I have no idea how the game works and if that's even possible. Even if it's possible it may end up looking like garbage. :D

The source for the game is available though but I have no idea if that can be of any assistance.

Edited by Zaxx

sadly only the sourcecode for the shell etc and not from the exe is avaible. that is what fixes are made from. lazyhealer, who made the original widescreen patch tried to scale the weaponmodels but apparently that didnt work. it wouldnt look good anyway because they are not static and you would see that they are squashed when you reload.

Edited by Wobak

• 5 weeks later...

good new! scaling the weaponmodels actually works. they look a little distorted when they are reloaded or taken out and the movement of the atachments doesnt match. i think its better then having them stretched though.

here are some comparison shots:

pistol original:

vy01.jpg

pistol new:

r06k.jpg

crossbow original:

zi06.jpg

crossbow new:

nche.jpg

as you can see the scaling and positioning isnt really consistent but it cant get any better with this workaround.

ive also made progress with the other features. the fov is now hor+ by default and the cutscene are anamorphic. I keep the camera hor+ in the cutscenes because some backdrops are small and with a larger fov you could see that the environment consists of just one house and nothing else.

Edited by Wobak

Yes, i made everything relative to the aspect ratio so they should work with any resolution and aspect, even triple-wide.

Here is the second version, with many new features :

Features:
-The FOV is Hor+ (the larger the aspect raio, the more is seen).
-The cutscenes are anamorphic (they fill out as much of the screen as possible).
-The firstweapon stretching is counteracted by scaling them.
-Subtitles and popup texts now take up the correct screen width.
-Circular shadows now actually stay active. Originally they were deactivated after any cutscene played.

Installation:
5. If you want to set the horizontal FOV to another value, add „+FovX "value"„ to the end of the
Enjoy the game!

Known Problems:

-You cannot play on GotY (1.004) servers with this patch. This is due to the patch being based on the 1.003 source
code because the 1.004 source code wasnt released.
-Hosting a game isnt possible either. Hosting a 1.003 game could be enabled, but that would remove all text
(objectives, intel, etc.) from the "Rest and Relaxation" bonus mission of the GotY edition.
-The firstperson weapons distort in animations and their movement doesnt match up with the movement of their attachments.
This is a result of the streching workaround and cant be fixed.
-When using a FOV different from the Hor+ value the firstperson weapons are offseted. This may be counteracted in the future.
-The scopes dont scale properly. The scaling is in some weird way dependent on the FOV. This may be fixed in the future.
-The sides of the scoped are not covered up yet. This may be fixed in the future.

Comparisos:

cutscene

original. 4x3:

qzzb.png

original 16x9:

8hin.png

patched 16x9:

3rfb.png

weapons:

original 4x3:

vmce.png

original 16x9:

p49y.png

patched 16x9:

yafs.png

Download from here

the firstperson weapon workaround is not really nice so if you have another aspect ratio than 16x9, please give feedback on how well it works.

Edited by Wobak

• 5 months later...

Just noticed this post for the mod and will just add this -

Even though the mod affects the version number if you load up the .rez, go in game and set to the resolution you want and then quit and restart and remove the .rez file the game will still launch in the same resolution as before and you will be back to 1.004.

• 2 years later...

Just thinking out loud here for NOLF 2. Would it be possible to edit the overlay texture I'm guessing they use as part of the overlay for scopes so that it is already set at a 16:9/16:10 etc resolution and can be added to the game's texture files? I've been poking around the game's files just now to try and have an experiment but not having much luck.

Edited by Hicks

• 6 years later...