Gameservers Stay or go?

Should we discontinue hosting gameservers  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should we discontinue hosting gameservers?

• Yes
    • No (I'd like to help keep them up)
    • No

Our donations have been declining for sometime for our 24/7 gameserver so I wanted to ask if maybe we should discontinue them?

Only a few pitch in for them anymore and I've more than once made up shortages to cover expenses.

Not sure I understand - do the answers match the question ?

The middle answer suggests to me that the question should read: "Should we CONTINUE hosting game servers"?

Would it help spread the money collected if fewer options were available ? - I think there are 3 options running (DD, DM, coop) IF this was cut back will it save money?

Not sure I understand - do the answers match the question ?

The middle answer suggests to me that the question should read: "Should we CONTINUE hosting game servers"?

Would it help spread the money collected if fewer options were available ? - I think there are 3 options running (DD, DM, coop) IF this was cut back will it save money?

The middle question is to see if people want to help keep them around. Some I believe want them but don't want to pitch in to help keep them.

To answer the second question I get the same pricing (package) if I run 1, 2 or the 3 servers. So I decided to cover the DD,DM and Co-Op

I hope you don't discontinue the servers. I encourage folks to donate $5 to $10 (or the non-US equivalent) each month. It's less than the cost of a take-out meal or a single movie ticket. While my time on them each weekend is embarrassing seldom, the fun in a single Saturday's DD session is easily worth the donation time and cost.

Is there any mileage in talking to IF clan, they sometimes run a server, maybe we could pool our resources?

I'll mention it to Rocky tomorrow.

Is there any mileage in talking to IF clan, they sometimes run a server, maybe we could pool our resources?

I'll mention it to Rocky tomorrow.

They only have it up sometimes and I know for me the ping is horrible. I don't think their server is commercially hosted.

• 2 weeks later...

You requested someone from [iF] Clan, so here I am.

To answer your questions: No, I do not host the serves commercially, I host them at home. Ping is great for me, of course, I host them. But my ping on your servers is horrible aswell (around 200-250). In contrast to you, I host them for free, but of course they are slower.

If you are interested in cooperating with me, feel free to tell me. (:

Our servers are commercially host (located in New York specifically) we decided there to try to find a centered location for them to get the most coverage for the most people (I myself am west coast US)

My host has European locations that could be used possibly.

You're fortunate Crusader in that most North American ISPs would disconnect your or charge you more $$ if they found out you were using the connection to host from.

You are doing a great job there with your servers, but I don't think we can fully satisfy both sides, the American and the European. I never got an awsome ping on your servers unfortunately.
Is there maybe a chance to cooperate? I would really like to help, even if this means I would need to pay.

I recently looked for a commercial host in my area, there are pretty nice offers from Germany and France here, which say around 50-70€ per month for an adequate server.

Concerning your fears about private hosting: In Austria, "laws" say that if the ISP does not explicitly say that they don't want their customers to host servers, they are free to do so! (;

Edited by {IF} Crusader

I tried hosting in London and North America at one time. All it did was "split" the players up in the end. My host has offered to move the servers to another faster machine/data centre so I may have them give that a try too.