No CD? Running NOLF2 without a CD?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently found and bought a retail copy of NOLF 2.

But i had issues with the installation using those CDs (There was no sound and the game was very prone to crashing right at the begging of the first mission) so i downloaded the ones that are here, and i ran into the shell.dll problem like everyone and did what you people did, but i'm still encountering the problem.

I wonder if anyone knows any other way? Oh and if you could tell me where can i delete the registry lines of NOLF 2 so i could try again or something, that would be awesome.

If you do a registry search for No One Lives Forever, Fox or Monolith you should find the registry entries.

Some of us have to run the game in various compatibility setting, I personally have to disable the visual elements of Windows 7 to run my game.

Okay, Thanks.

I guess i'll try to tinker with the compatibility settings, it makes sense that the game playing without sound or the shell.dll problem are compatibility issues , after all.

Edit:

Okay i have spent over 5 hours trying to fix this bloody game so it would run in any possible way.

And it's just not working, maybe i am too thick and don't understand how to do this but i can safely say i am tired of the game pulling an error no matter what i do.

And when it does manage to work theres only music, no SFX or voices. and the characters seem to skip their animations during cutscenes...

I suppose this game just doesn't work well in newer OS / Pcs.

I guess i shall skip this one and watch an LP (Let's Play) of it instead. It's sad but i am not sure what to do anymore.

Edit 2: Continuing with my past rage i am just BAFFLED at how with your guys help i managed to make NOLF 1 run PERFECTLY with zero graphical ,sound and gameplay bugs, While looking spectacular and with a stable framerate.

It just strikes me as odd that the SEQUEL a NEWER game is the one that refuses to work properly.

Edited by l3o2828

I don't mean to bombard with questions as there are still unanswered ones here, but I am stuck after finally being able to download. When I click play I get an error message that says "Unable to open the file launchcmds.txt for writing. Please make sure that the file is writable and try again."

While searching for an answer I noticed this file being mentioned but found no solution. I don't even have the file in the download. I added the patch. I even tried launching from my CD which doesn't include the file either LOL. What am I doing wrong?

I don't mean to bombard with questions as there are still unanswered ones here, but I am stuck after finally being able to download. When I click play I get an error message that says "Unable to open the file launchcmds.txt for writing. Please make sure that the file is writable and try again."

While searching for an answer I noticed this file being mentioned but found no solution. I don't even have the file in the download. I added the patch. I even tried launching from my CD which doesn't include the file either LOL. What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps running NOLF2.exe as an administrator my help (I'm assuming your running Windows Vista, 7 or 8 and installed to the default location). By the way, launchcmds.txt is a file generated by NOLF2's launcher ;)

Thanks for the response. I tried it (not expecting much honestly) and it actually seemed to start up... until the next moment when a "No disc inserted" Windows message pops up :) Hopefully I'll get around that... so thanks again for the help!

ETA: SOMEHOW I got it to launch. After trying every file available for launch (NOLF2, AutoRun and the Desktop shortcut) I got error message after error message, including the same launch file and the lithtech file. I did the exact same things on each launch file with the CD in and finally on the Desktop Shortcut I was able to launch it with the disc inserted (which I couldn't install from to begin with.)

I was going to uninstall and run in compatibility mode but for now at least I have a solution. I wouldn't have thought of that without your help, it's much appreciated.

(To Eliteone thanks also for responding. I finally got it. You all are very helpful.)

Edited by amgine

Thanks for the response. I tried it (not expecting much honestly) and it actually seemed to start up... until the next moment when a "No disc inserted" Windows message pops up :) Hopefully I'll get around that... so thanks again for the help!

You've installed the no CD patch from our downloads?

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem as LagMonkey and l3o2828 here :/ Running Windows 7 x64, if that info is of any relevance (if this indeed is a DX-related issue, I'm guessing it has something to do with it).

EDIT: Well what do you know, I did all that LagMonkey said in his last post, including uninstalling, removing registry entries, installing to the default directory, running the reg file (had to modify it to use Win7 locations, though), copying the rez file and then running the 1.3 patcher from within the game's directory; and now it works like a charm. So yay, I guess, even if I don't fully understand what is it that I did right this time.

Edited by schadenfreude

• 1 month later...

I just reinstalled both games today, and on NOLF2 I was having first the no sound problems, and then the invalid dll error on launch. But then I remembered that I used to play it on WinXP and tried running the program not as an administrator, but in XP SP3 compatability mode, and the sound problems were gone and no more errors of any kind.

Maybe this will help someone.

Edited by nolf2012

• 2 months later...

Hopefully Google Translate did it's job any my reply is understandable to you (If not hopefully Papermoon reads it and can help)

Suivez ces étapes
Ajouter le fichier de registre dans ce fil.
Mettez le Update_v1x3.rez dans la racine de NOLF2
Ensuite, j'ai dû mettre le patch à télécharger réelle dans le répertoire racine et exécutez-le à partir de là.
Elle est passée par le patch pleinement.
redémarrez

• 1 month later...

I was having the same problem with the "Please insert disk one" even though i had it properly mounted as an iso :s just stumbled on this site, so I'm going to try some of the fixes you guys suggested. I'll be back if its still giving me trouble...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys can always download the ISOs we provide and burn them to CD. That should resolve the issue you're having.

• 10 months later...

Hi Mates, sorry for reviving this thread. I´ve been looking for a V1.3 no cd that actually works. I´ve played V1.0 without issues using the no cd crack ( wont risk my cds ). Anyways, I got a new laptop with windows 8 and after multiple headaches with the sound issued I patched the v1.3 no cd and it wont work anymore. I´ve installed and uninstalled the game several times, but can´t get both features working together. So I was wondering if you could help me with my issue. Thank you.

Hi Mates, sorry for reviving this thread. I´ve been looking for a V1.3 no cd that actually works. I´ve played V1.0 without issues using the no cd crack ( wont risk my cds ). Anyways, I got a new laptop with windows 8 and after multiple headaches with the sound issued I patched the v1.3 no cd and it wont work anymore. I´ve installed and uninstalled the game several times, but can´t get both features working together. So I was wondering if you could help me with my issue. Thank you.

We have a no cd patch in the downloads section.

Hey, thank you for answering so fast.

But will it work with my 1.3 version, because I saw it was 1.00

Yes. It is for the 1.3 Retail version.