How to Install NOLF to 64 bit Windows Vista or Windows 7

• 2 months later...

Greetings! I bought the No One Lives Forever: The Operative, Game of the Year Edition. I loved NOLF 2 but never played the original. Hope that I can eventually!

The game appeared to install perfectly on my system. When I run the game, the Launch screen appears, and when I click “Launch” the NOLF performance settings come up. But, the game won’t run. When I select any of the options, a little black box appears in the middle of the screen. The Windows Task Manager says “Program not responding.”

I have an older Alienware laptop computer running a 64 bit version of Windows Vista.

Can someone tell me, do I need to download and apply the patches? Is the Game of the Year version patched to the 1.04 version already? Note that I have not yet tried the solution Elite One posted regarding installing the game on a 64 bit Windows system (at the beginning of this topic). I want to make sure the game is patched correctly before I do so.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Greetings! I bought the No One Lives Forever: The Operative, Game of the Year Edition. I loved NOLF 2 but never played the original. Hope that I can eventually!

The game appeared to install perfectly on my system. When I run the game, the Launch screen appears, and when I click “Launch” the NOLF performance settings come up. But, the game won’t run. When I select any of the options, a little black box appears in the middle of the screen. The Windows Task Manager says “Program not responding.”

I have an older Alienware laptop computer running a 64 bit version of Windows Vista.

Can someone tell me, do I need to download and apply the patches? Is the Game of the Year version patched to the 1.04 version already? Note that I have not yet tried the solution Elite One posted regarding installing the game on a 64 bit Windows system (at the beginning of this topic). I want to make sure the game is patched correctly before I do so.

Thank you in advance for your help!

You would need to apply the patches still.

Also on Vista I would recommend running it in compatibility mode.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this installed on Windows 7 on a VM and it is running, but the dialog scenes appear to get cut off each time someone is speaking, so you only get part of what is being said. Is there a way to correct this?

Edited by swf7575

I would assume it has something to do with the audio driver being used by the VM.

• 1 month later...

I've successfully installed NOLFusing the 32 bit installer on my win 7 system. I also installed the nocd crack. and patch 4

FYI, i have the original disks

It runs, but there seems to be a problem with the keyboard driver, where it would normally wait for input in the dialogs, it just moves forward.

Any ideas?

This is Win 7 pro, on an Intel i5 system with 16 gig memory, running about 4 Ghz. Video board is an nVidia GTX 760.

All drivers are fully updated.

I also noticed that it seems to be running VERY fast, which actually may be the problem. This is a very fast computer, I'm wondering if there is a way to tell the game about the high clock speed.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I've successfully installed NOLFusing the 32 bit installer on my win 7 system. I also installed the nocd crack. and patch 4

It runs, but there seems to be a problem with the keyboard driver, where it would normally wait for input in the dialogs, it just moves forward.

Any ideas?

This is Win 7 pro, on an Intel i5 system with 16 gig memory, running about 4 Ghz. Video board is an nVidia GTX 760.

I also noticed that it seems to be running VERY fast, which actually may be the problem. This is a very fast computer, I'm wondering if there is a way to tell the game about the high clock speed.

Thanks in advance.

This file has helped this problem for some.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I found my problem. Turns out that my system and video card are way too fast for the game.

The fix for the too fast problem is easy - Force VSync in your graphics card control panel.
I just thought someone might benefit from this.. It sure as hell was an annoying bug til I figured it out. Happens with most older Lithtech-powered games (AvP included)
If you are using an nVidia card with the nVidia control panel, you can adjust the VSync on an individual executable basis.
Two processes need to be adjusted for:
lithtech.exe (most important one)
nolf.exe
Wish I could claim credit for the initial fix, my only contribution is the nVidia info.
  • Like 1

I found my problem. Turns out that my system and video card are way too fast for the game.

The fix for the too fast problem is easy - Force VSync in your graphics card control panel.
I just thought someone might benefit from this.. It sure as hell was an annoying bug til I figured it out. Happens with most older Lithtech-powered games (AvP included)
If you are using an nVidia card with the nVidia control panel, you can adjust the VSync on an individual executable basis.
Two processes need to be adjusted for:
lithtech.exe (most important one)
nolf.exe
Wish I could claim credit for the initial fix, my only contribution is the nVidia info.

Good information. Thanks for sharing it :)

• 1 month later...

When I Go to install this game that I bought new when it came out during my high school years it says "Do I want to completely remove the selected application and all of its componets?"

I tried to install several times manually and with the autorun options. I had played this before the second game with no problems on and older operating system. Just wondering how long it will take for me to get it installed and running.

The game I have is a game of the year edition and I have read that it comes with a patch to run on 32bit and 64 bit systems.

Edited by freetrapper

The GOTY edition installs to 64 bit. the regular NOLF doesn't unless you use the 32 bit installer from our downloads section to install it.

If the game is not compatible with a the newer OS system, I don't care to make it work on the newer windows if it requires a compatibility mode. I think it is a good thing for games to work only on certain systems otherwise it could cause problems. If this game truly works on out of the box on windows 7 then this would be great!!

If the game is not compatible with a the newer OS system, I don't care to make it work on the newer windows if it requires a compatibility mode. I think it is a good thing for games to work only on certain systems otherwise it could cause problems. If this game truly works on out of the box on windows 7 then this would be great!!

I have the GOTY edition running out of the box on Windows 8.1 update 1 so if you have the GOTY it should be working.

Can you post some screenshots of the error message, your media cover etc ?

I BELIEVE I HAVE THE GOTY EDITION NOLF. I GOT IT TO INSTALL AND PLAY. IT FIRST INSTALLED ON IN XP AND THEN INSTALLED AGIAN IN WINDOWS 7. NOT SURE WHAT I BELIEVE THE BEST DISPLAY IS? I READ SOMEONE WHERE IS A WAY TO ADJUST THE WIDTH,HIGHT, DEPTH, AND MAKE IT 64 BIT IN THE SETTINGS NOT QUITE HOW TO DO THAT MANUALLY?

OTHER THAN THAT THE WORDS NOT AS CLEAR BUT ARE MORE THAN CLEAR ENOUGH TO READ AND UNDERSTAND FLUENTLY!

Not sure why you are using all caps there :- (The typed version of shouting)

Can you provide a screenshot of your CD media case? It would tell us if you have the GOTY edition or not.

We have files in the downloads section that address the screen sizes.

Wobak's WideScreen mod in the downloads section may be what you are looking for. URA's NOLF 1 Launcher also includes the additional screen resolutions.

That said, there isn't anyway to change the game to 64-bit, per se without recompiling the source code. It is still a 32-bit app running on a 64-bit app. (Also, the bpp in your screen resolution still maxes out at 32 bpp which a different number of bits than your cpu and/or OS is using. 32bpp indicates how much color is associate with each pixel you see on the screen.)

• 1 month later...

Does this fix the crazy, flickering polygons I'm seeing in both the cutscenes and gameplay? It didn't do this nonsense when I was playing it on my old laptop running win 7 x86...

UPDATE 5 minutes later: Nope. Crazy, flickering polygons still dancing around the screen.

Edited by CornyPhartz