Shall we petition Monolith to distribute NOLF2 on Steam?

xeverytime

52 members have voted

1. 1. Ask Monolith to put NOLF2 on Steam?

• YES, this is a good idea.
    • NO, this is a waste of time.
  2. 2. Natter's first computer game?

• Pong
    • Solitare
    • Commander Keen 4
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • Diner Dash
    • Natter IS a self-aware computer game!

Yeah, yeah... I know this isn't exactly a NOLF3 topic. However, this topic's end goal is the development of NOLF3.

These days, I mostly play games that are delivered through the Steam platform. The library of Steam games has grown immensely over the last few years, and many of the added titles are old games (going back to early 90s and even late 80s... back when Natter was in grammar school). Monolith already has a relationship with Steam/Valve in that FEAR, FEAR2, and all FEAR expansions are available on Steam. With that in mind, could we push Monolith towards adding NOLF2 to their Steam library? I don't know the legal issues that they might face, but I do know that this could spark a NOLF2 revival among PC gamers. New games show up every week on Steam, and thousands of curious gamers buy them and play them (especially the budget-priced games, as NOLF2 would probably be). In my opinion, a successful distribution of NOLF2 over Steam could prompt Monolith to send NOLF3 into development! Even if NOLF3 never came to be, having NOLF2 distributed on Steam would add tons of new players to our community. Heck, we might even see a return to the good old days of clans and tournaments!

Thoughts, anyone?

Yeah, yeah... I know this isn't exactly a NOLF3 topic. However, this topic's end goal is the development of NOLF3.

These days, I mostly play games that are delivered through the Steam platform. The library of Steam games has grown immensely over the last few years, and many of the added titles are old games (going back to early 90s and even late 80s... back when Natter was in grammar school). Monolith already has a relationship with Steam/Valve in that FEAR, FEAR2, and all FEAR expansions are available on Steam. With that in mind, could we push Monolith towards adding NOLF2 to their Steam library? I don't know the legal issues that they might face, but I do know that this could spark a NOLF2 revival among PC gamers. New games show up every week on Steam, and thousands of curious gamers buy them and play them (especially the budget-priced games, as NOLF2 would probably be). In my opinion, a successful distribution of NOLF2 over Steam could prompt Monolith to send NOLF3 into development! Even if NOLF3 never came to be, having NOLF2 distributed on Steam would add tons of new players to our community. Heck, we might even see a return to the good old days of clans and tournaments!

Thoughts, anyone?

Would be a good place to purchase it. I buy all my games these days through Steam as well. Convenient can always download your library of purchased if you switch machines etc.

hi X.

Yes, you're right. It's a very good idea.

But... do you think it is possible for us to make them do it?

None of the e-mails they have specified for contact work, I suppose...

No reply was recieved at all from any address.

To be honest, I doubt it, unless you (!! don't mean exactly YOU. saying "you" I mean all the community - all the people who play it and thinks the idea is good (sry, lol, it's a russian figure of speech, can't get rid of it even speaking english :P)) can find any way to do it.

• 5 months later...

A release on GoG.com is more likely. And preferable, I might add. GoG.com = DRM Free games with extra goodies on top..and for low price..and you do not need to install a client to download your games. Need I say more?

Thoughts, anyone?

I love the idea. Add all three! I love the idea of having the downloads to reinstall with. I also agree that it would add to the community also!

A release on GoG.com is more likely. And preferable, I might add. GoG.com = DRM Free games with extra goodies on top..and for low price..and you do not need to install a client to download your games. Need I say more?

I see what you are saying, but the people who want NOLF2 cheap and without a client platform can already get it that way in its retail form. If someone wants to get NOLF2, it is not difficult or expensive to do so. Despite this, the game's community is getting smaller and smaller. And that's the key: finding a way to reverse that specific trend. It's more about awareness and marketing exposure than cost or portability.

In this case, DRM (meaning the Steam client) would actually work in our favor. Gamers who are already forced to use Steam to play certain wildly popular Steam-only games (Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, COD:MW2, COD:BO, etc) are constantly exposed to new offerings in the Steam library. Also, the Steam Friends system can help spread the popularity of under-appreciated games like NOLF2. When people repeatedly log into Steam to play the mainstream games listed above, they might be compelled to purchase NOLF2 if they see someone on their Steam Friends list playing it. For example, I have bought dozens of cheap games on Steam as a result of investigating them after seeing friends playing them.

Finally, Steam and Monolith already have an active business relationship due to Steam distributing the F.E.A.R. series. I'm not sure GoG.com has this advantage.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still, there's a problem. Even if NOLF is released online (I would buy it again if it were on Steam to really go full circle), people are going to

jump online and wonder where the multiplayer is, because the master server was shut down. How do you counter the fact people buy and play the game,

but don't know where to get the tools to play it online? And that brings up another interesting question. While digital distribution gives life to

games that typically die and are forgotten, would GoG or Steam sell the game, knowing its multiplayer function is incomplete?

Still, there's a problem. Even if NOLF is released online (I would buy it again if it were on Steam to really go full circle), people are going to

jump online and wonder where the multiplayer is, because the master server was shut down. How do you counter the fact people buy and play the game,

but don't know where to get the tools to play it online? And that brings up another interesting question. While digital distribution gives life to

games that typically die and are forgotten, would GoG or Steam sell the game, knowing its multiplayer function is incomplete?

Well it would need to have our Livesforever mod and stuff included in the version that would be sold by steam.

Well it would need to have our Livesforever mod and stuff included in the version that would be sold by steam.

That would be a dream come true, but I'm not sure it would happen. There'd probably be more luck with Good Old Games, with their slew of extras they put out with the old stuff. I have such good memories from this game, since it was such a gathering place of friendly people who just wanted to have fun. If it were to come back, I would be all over that like right now, if not sooner. :)

That would be a dream come true, but I'm not sure it would happen. There'd probably be more luck with Good Old Games, with their slew of extras they put out with the old stuff. I have such good memories from this game, since it was such a gathering place of friendly people who just wanted to have fun. If it were to come back, I would be all over that like right now, if not sooner. :)

Is there any way to put the LivesForever Mod, the necessary patches, and the CD bypass all together into a single install? One of the big hurdles in this game is just getting the thing going. It takes a lot of determination, something that ordinarily only exists for people who already know and love the game. If you have not played it before, it would be pretty easy to move on to something that is easier to get running.

Is there any way to put the LivesForever Mod, the necessary patches, and the CD bypass all together into a single install? One of the big hurdles in this game is just getting the thing going. It takes a lot of determination, something that ordinarily only exists for people who already know and love the game. If you have not played it before, it would be pretty easy to move on to something that is easier to get running.

not sure but i think GoG usually has the "one-install-them-all" and I know that GoG will get rid of the CD , probably even delivering the game patched but implementing something that's not "official" like the mod .. not sure about that.

• 2 weeks later...

GOG is a great place for packaging up good games, with a few addons. It should be fairly easy to do with cooperation (or at least the blessing) from the publisher.

It would also be a great way to get some more fresh players into the game and hopefully increase the possibility of a sequel.

• 4 months later...

This might help NOLF 2 gain some popularity, but I doubt that Monolith, Sierra, and Valve would agree to it especially altogether. Valve does not own the rights to any Nolf games but if they agreed to distribute it on steam then they would probably want some of the profits. They probably wouldn't expect it to sell great either so they wouldn't be expecting a lot of money from it. It still takes work to configure it to be sold and run through steam, and all of the unofficial mods might have to be sold with it (which might increase the price and effort to put the package together) if their players hoped to be in league with us which probably won't happen. Any new mods that would be developed wouldn't be able to be put in the game either without some reformating of steam, and we would probaby have to buy the game again through steam if we wanted to play on their servers and I doubt steam would let their customers use our servers.

Ultimately it probably isn't worth the effort and cost in a business perspective and there may be compatability issues (both with us and with being an older game through steam and its users).

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, it's strange why the rights kind of vanished into thin air.

We can only hope the current owner pops out of the shadows one day

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's happening

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Well that's shocking, but it's still no guarantee: "At this time we are unable to comment on future plans. I would like to add that our team has a great fondness for these games and our hope is that they will one day be re-released." Released, well that'd be a good start, but would multiplayer be supported? What about the long awaited sequel, Nolf 3? In the hands of another company it's bound to be different than what 2003 Monolith would have made.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I would love to see NOLF and NOLF2 available again (COntract Jack I did not even bother to keep my copy of), but it won't be happening until the whole legal mess is cleared up. No use getting your hopes up to have them dashed again. Both GOG and Night Drive have activelly pursued getting the NOLF games but the legal mess prevented that.

Sadly, it seems as thought clearing up  the copyright isuse would involve some heavy legal fees, and the parties invovled don't feel it worthwhile to spend the dought. People forget that great and the NOLF games were, and despite the awards NOLF won, they were not big sellers.

And, yeah, GOG would be better; no DRM. I don't see how anybody  can think that Steam is better except that steams offers more games becuase it allows DRM.

But there always hope. The Soldier of Fortune games were also in Legal Limbo, but they came out of it and are now avaialbe on GOG.

• 1 month later...

No, games like NOLF were only able to be made because of games being sold physical only and the great environment that comes with that. If you really like NOLF and good games then you wouldn't want it on Steam or GOG. If anything it should get a DRM free physical rerelease.

If you really want to pay for it then buy a used physical copy which also gets you something in return for your money unlike Steam and GOG, if not then just pirate it, no need to give rent seekers like Valve and GOG a cut. I have original physical copies and still do a playthrough of NOLF 1 and 2 at least once a year on my XP machine using my physical copies.

Edited by DontPay4Digital
Forgot to add

8 hours ago, DontPay4Digital said:

No, games like NOLF were only able to be made because of games being sold physical only and the great environment that comes with that. If you really like NOLF and good games then you wouldn't want it on Steam or GOG. If anything it should get a DRM free physical rerelease.

If you really want to pay for it then buy a used physical copy which also gets you something in return for your money unlike Steam and GOG, if not then just pirate it, no need to give rent seekers like Valve and GOG a cut. I have original physical copies and still do a playthrough of NOLF 1 and 2 at least once a year on my XP machine using my physical copies.

Physical games have their benefits like actually owning a disk, but games on GOG do have the benefit of being DRM free. Even if the game got pulled off the site, even if the site shut down, you'd still be able to play the game, reinstall, transfer and make backup copies of it. Effectively it'd still be similar to owning a physical copy. So, what "great environment" are you referring to that wouldn't be possible with buying a game from GOG that is possible with a physical game?

• 2 years later...