NOLF2 - How do I control SoundFXs?

Triggerhappy

Okay, so I've viewed Spwn's SoundFX tutorial and all of that jazz, but I'm having a lot of frustrations getting my soundfx to do what I want. What I want to know mainly is if these are things I can fix/control or things I just have to live with.

Ok, so my first question is: What exactly is up with the encoding? I use dBpoweramp Music Converter to change all my custom sounds/music to the appropriate wave format. According to Spwn, the correct encoding is IMA ADPCM at 44.100 kHz, 4 bit, Stereo/Mono 43 kb/sec. Now, some of the music Spwn uses in his maps that use this format I can't hear in the game for some reason. Actually, not just spwns sounds give me problems but others as well. When I play them in WMP, I hear them fine, but for some reason I only hear about half of the custom sounds/music that is put in the maps.

The music that comes with the game that is stored in the Sound.rez file play perfectly when I apply them to a sound node, but if I try to convert a custom sound to that same format, or even spwn's format...I can't hear it at all. Sometimes it even messes up the other sounds in the game too. Also, I've noticed that most of the custom sounds that other map packers put in their maps that I can't hear in the game, have the difference of "stereo" as apposed to the ones I can hear that have "mono," (which shouldn't make a difference), but if I play a default sound/music file from the game like the credits music (which is stereo), it plays great.

Here's another question I have:

In DEdit, the SoundFX nodes give you an option to change the volume of the sound by percentage of it's original volume I guess, which starts obviously at 100. If I change this to a higher or lower number, it doesn't change the volume at all when I play it in the game. Am I doing something wrong, or is DEdit just worthless in SoundFX? A complaint I'm getting about my new map is that the snowmobile sound is overpowering the ambient music, but for whatever reason I can't raise the volume of my ambient sound so I can't fix it. One last thing, I notice that (maybe it's just my computer) but whenever I add a custom sound/music, the pitch of the sound goes up and down when I move around...which can be a little bit of a headache.

I tried to give as many details about the issues as I could, so hopefully someone can help me answer these questions.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, so I've viewed Spwn's SoundFX tutorial and all of that jazz, but I'm having a lot of frustrations getting my soundfx to do what I want. What I want to know mainly is if these are things I can fix/control or things I just have to live with.

Ok, so my first question is: What exactly is up with the encoding? I use dBpoweramp Music Converter to change all my custom sounds/music to the appropriate wave format. According to Spwn, the correct encoding is IMA ADPCM at 44.100 kHz, 4 bit, Stereo/Mono 43 kb/sec. Now, some of the music Spwn uses in his maps that use this format I can't hear in the game for some reason. Actually, not just spwns sounds give me problems but others as well. When I play them in WMP, I hear them fine, but for some reason I only hear about half of the custom sounds/music that is put in the maps.

The music that comes with the game that is stored in the Sound.rez file play perfectly when I apply them to a sound node, but if I try to convert a custom sound to that same format, or even spwn's format...I can't hear it at all. Sometimes it even messes up the other sounds in the game too. Also, I've noticed that most of the custom sounds that other map packers put in their maps that I can't hear in the game, have the difference of "stereo" as apposed to the ones I can hear that have "mono," (which shouldn't make a difference), but if I play a default sound/music file from the game like the credits music (which is stereo), it plays great.

Here's another question I have:

In DEdit, the SoundFX nodes give you an option to change the volume of the sound by percentage of it's original volume I guess, which starts obviously at 100. If I change this to a higher or lower number, it doesn't change the volume at all when I play it in the game. Am I doing something wrong, or is DEdit just worthless in SoundFX? A complaint I'm getting about my new map is that the snowmobile sound is overpowering the ambient music, but for whatever reason I can't raise the volume of my ambient sound so I can't fix it. One last thing, I notice that (maybe it's just my computer) but whenever I add a custom sound/music, the pitch of the sound goes up and down when I move around...which can be a little bit of a headache.

I tried to give as many details about the issues as I could, so hopefully someone can help me answer these questions.

Thanks!

There's a lot of new things that I've discovered after making that tutorial, for instance.. Nolf2 mainly uses Mp3 for most stuff, but with a wav extention

rightformat.jpg

Unfortunatly the codec used in nolf2 isn't free, that's why I've been messing around with larger wav formats.

However, I discovered that there's a lameACM codec that will do the job, it codes in a different way so its kinda buggy when its used for DirectMusic segments but should work just fine for soundobjects and will also produce pretty much the same size as the original codec does.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/install_lame.htm

Follow the above tutorial to install it.

128kb/s for music/and 64kb/s for voices should do.

To answer your 2nd question:

Yes, the soundradius thingy is pretty useless. You won't hear anything in the outer radius as far as I've heard. and the inner radius is full volume. However you can set Ambient to false in the soundobject's properties and it will seem like the sound is coming from a specific direction (from where the object is)

The reason why the snowmobile overrides the soundobject is most like because of priority (also in the objectproperties)

Try changing it to 1 and see if there is any difference :) (maybe higher values if there's no result, don't remember that too well)

Hope any of that helps :)

Spawn